Notices

If your thinking of fitting a blitz or any VTA dump - read here first

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2009, 09:02 AM
stevekoz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If your thinking of fitting a blitz or any VTA dump - read here first

A couple of weeks ago i posted on the forum advising my standard dv was seemingly making a sound i wasn't happy with - not sure if it was packing up on me or what. So i decided as i may need to replace it i'd go ahead and replace it with a VTA Blitz SuperSonic.

I received it yesterday and went about fitting it. Re-used the original washer from the original DV. First thing first, the Blitz is heavier than the standard one and as space is cramped getting both bolts to bite instantly was not possible. I ended up dropping one and nearly losing it in the engine bay. Be Warned once those bolts are out they are tricky to get back in properly.

Anwyay 45 mins with a pen light later i've got the bolt. Second thing to point out is that the Blitz has a tensioner bolt on the top to allow more/less air to escape depending on how your engine runs. This bolt totally gets in the way of the coil pack - you literally cannot fit it to the car without removing the coil pack first or by completely removing the tensioner bolt on the top of the valve. It just won't fit otherwise.

Right now its fitted - 1hr later. The valve is on and works. Make sure that all the bolts are tightened properly, if not you may get a bit of a jumpy idle i noticed. But once tightened all works.

Took car for a drive - first thing first the noise - not keen. Its a high pitched quick whistle - almost if you purse your lips and blow out quickly thats how it sounds. Not the normal "whoooooooosh" you may hear from other such devices.

Second point - turbo feels no more / less responsive on a standard car. Although the boost did seem to be a bit more abrupt ending when you let off the throttle under heavy acceleration.

Third - after umming and arghing about whehter or not i was pleased or not over night, i decided to take her for a quick spin again this morning. Could actually smell her running rich. Now personally i dont' think this is anything to do with how the kit is fitted or the quality but simply a "side-effect" to fitting a vta dump valve - which i think other people will say too.

So decision made - vta comign off on my lunch break, original subaru(cleaned) dump valve going back on. End of. No questions. No arguements. It's just not for me.

Now for those of you thinking about this and thinking well it's just one story, he may not know what he's on about etc. Your right, First turbo car, first vta dump valve.

However, i do know that if its running rich its not going to be burning all the petrol in the cylinders therefore leaving some left over mixing iwth your oil - oil and fuel don't mix well sorry. Its a fact, eventually, it will disapate the oil going round the engine and eventually your engine will have a catastrophic break down of Mischa Barton proportions! Which at the end of the day is going to cost you dramatically more than a "nice" "whoooosh" sound.

Consider this one's lesson, learnt!

That said. I will i think need to replace my oem valve soon, so after some research i have ordered a new forge recirc valve - same as standard really but more capable with the pressures involved so i'm told.

So watch out for dump valves post 2 on its way about my experiences of that and whether or not it live's up to its name.

Cheers all
Old 21 August 2009, 11:38 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mate, if you do a search on here you'll find most people say fitting a VTA DV can potentially be damaging to the engine.
Not huge examples of it, but most people will probably agree it changes the air flow to the MAF and hence it should be mapped in properly if you're going to use it rather than just banging it on and hoping for the best!
If you want something a bit louder try one of the GFB ones that recycle and VTA, OR a Force recirc valve. HTH
Old 21 August 2009, 12:58 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

It's a bit hit and miss with these. Some people have trouble, some don't. I did, with different types, and won't do it again.
It's quite a widely publicised topic on here.
Old 21 August 2009, 01:18 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a blitz on mine and have never had any problems

Dont think the standard one will take my 2.0bar of boost
Old 21 August 2009, 01:23 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I have the APS Dual port, has been fine on mine, was just fitted for 3 years, now mapped in.
Old 21 August 2009, 01:27 PM
Mista Majestic
Scooby Regular

i stuck a baileys one on my classic wagon. had no probs so far......
Old 21 August 2009, 06:00 PM
petedotuk
Scooby Regular

You just bought the wrong dump valve!
APS/GFB dual vent or Baileys/Forge VTA
Old 21 August 2009, 06:31 PM
jeffwrx
Scooby Regular

Have a forge VTA on my classic , no problems here so far
Old 21 August 2009, 08:17 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

I have no dump valve at all, and i like it.
Old 21 August 2009, 09:18 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by samcowrx
# I have no dump valve at all, and i like it #
Katy Perry has nothing on you.

Last edited by joz8968; 22 August 2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 22 August 2009, 09:36 PM
scooby350bhp
Scooby Regular

used to have a baileys on my classic, but was leaking boost @ 1.5 bar, so switched to GFB, got it mapped in, no prbs now
Old 22 August 2009, 09:43 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by samcowrx
I have no dump valve at all, and i like it.
+1

Old 22 August 2009, 11:38 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

First thing I bought back in 2002... Forge VTA DV, can't say that mine has shown any negative side effects, except needing a very strong spring at 2 bar of boost....

dunx