Notices

ok This has been asked before but needs doing again!

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2009, 04:19 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok This has been asked before but needs doing again!

Hey guys I know this is a question that has ben asked many times before but I need a answer as I will be looking into this very soon!

My question is, I have a std turbo 2000 with td04 but what parts of my exhaust can I upgrade without going for a Remap?

Also could I change for a 3 inch bore as opposed to a 2.5inch without remap?

cheers in adavnce you legends!!!!
Old 14 August 2009, 05:51 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Provided you've got a Knocklink or similar on you as a bit of insurance, and assuming standard airbox/filter, engine and sensors in good nick, you could probably change all of it, especially if you've got one of the late '99 cars with an AE802 ECU.

Re. going from 2.5" to 3", why would you bother? Counterproductive with the turbo and power level you're at.
Old 14 August 2009, 05:54 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Agreed, I went from a standard exhaust to a full 3inch Decat from turbo back. Although it popped and banged a bit I did 5,000 miles like this without issue before I decided to get the car mapped.

Infact I wish I'd stopped there LOL
Old 14 August 2009, 10:39 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

cheers guys remaps are so expensive and I'm trying to build my car from the ground up but want a little more performance and soundtrack before going for any power
Old 14 August 2009, 11:01 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyNudge
cheers guys remaps are so expensive and I'm trying to build my car from the ground up but want a little more performance and soundtrack before going for any power
The MY99-00 UK standard maps are very conservative - the AE802 one in particular. Provided, as said before, the engine is generally in good health, all the sensors (MAF in particular) are good, and you're monitoring knock, you have a degree of headroom for tweaking before a remap becomes unavoidable. A decat and a Dawes Device can give you a nice performance blip - especially over the 802's slovenly boost delivery.

Worth lifting the cover to see which ECU you've got, if you haven't done so already. You can tweak with an 800 or 801, but these give a more powerful standard car to start with, and, because of the leaner main fuel map and more aggressive, there's less room to push things before engine integrity starts to become an issue.
Old 15 August 2009, 09:33 AM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
The MY99-00 UK standard maps are very conservative - the AE802 one in particular. Provided, as said before, the engine is generally in good health, all the sensors (MAF in particular) are good, and you're monitoring knock, you have a degree of headroom for tweaking before a remap becomes unavoidable. A decat and a Dawes Device can give you a nice performance blip - especially over the 802's slovenly boost delivery.

Worth lifting the cover to see which ECU you've got, if you haven't done so already. You can tweak with an 800 or 801, but these give a more powerful standard car to start with, and, because of the leaner main fuel map and more aggressive, there's less room to push things before engine integrity starts to become an issue.
splitpin you are a gentlemam and scholar sir!
1 quick question though where is the ECU located so I can find out which one I have?
Old 15 August 2009, 08:59 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

bump
Old 15 August 2009, 10:20 PM
danny c
Scooby Regular

passanger side footwell i think!take carpet back and its under a metal cover!!