Notices

changing a slanty (rubish) tmic for another larger 1 advice

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2009, 09:42 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing a slanty (rubish) tmic for another larger 1 advice

what intercooler should i go for and can this conversion be done with ease???
Old 17 June 2009, 10:26 AM
mach
Scooby Regular

presuming you've got the v1 intake manifold and not the 1.5(slightly more room)the v2's are heavenly for space(big re-design)seen a few way's of doing it but you can't physically get bigger than a newage wrx one in so the version 8 sti one is a waste(although someone will posibly say they have).as to ease of mod it depend's on what you can do/get done cheaply.to do mine i ended up chopping 15mm out the back(to clear the bulkhead) and
re-welding it(got a mate that weld's ally)and blanking off the o/e dump valve and moving the pick up brackets.i can't remember who but on here(i'm sure they'll stand up shortly moved the pipes and wiring loom from the upper bulkhead below and managed to fit an unaltered one in the gap and has pictures(do a search but by god it's tight!!!).then there is the under bonnet duct but that's just flat form.is front mount not a possibility as plenty are about second hand so reasonably cheap.i can take some measurement's if you need any let me know.but after you'll deffo need to re-map to get the best out of it all(i went with ESL)it's worth it!!!.good luck.
mik
Old 17 June 2009, 01:48 PM
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

ive got a power fc was thinking i shoul do a fuew bits get it out of the way if i get a fmic i need an induction kit and cash is not to clever at the moment
Old 18 June 2009, 09:35 AM
mach
Scooby Regular

your not to bad if the car's running ok so you can just do bit's at a time,my i/c was that bad it was affecting the temp's, the fin's were just falling off and blocking it as i drove.it took me a while to do but mostly coz i'd do some then bring it to work get it welded then find out it would need something else doing then same again.i'm just too bloody **** for my own good as i wanted the factory look. your right about the cash part i used to own a volvo and was ok for cash as soon as i got the wagon everything went up plus getting the tuning bug,i'm working on a paralel fuel rail's and trying to save up for a 2.5 block on the side(will it ever end?).
Old 18 June 2009, 04:58 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...assic-mod.html
Old 18 June 2009, 05:39 PM
turbomax
Scooby Regular

i did this conversion on my sti v3 and it wont fit you need a extended intercooler to thottle body hose and longer hose off the blower. on my intake manifold there is a device behind coil pack maybe a idle speed control valve? i have not seen one on other cars i have looked at. any way the dump valve hits this which is a pain, and i am not cutting and welding the other bend on it. cheers max