Notices

Remapping: Is it REALLY necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2009, 09:59 AM
ishan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remapping: Is it REALLY necessary?

I've searched on this matter, but all i've found is people saying you HAVE to remap, even after things like adding a decat and induction kit.

I'm new to Subaru's but i've lightly modified a few Peugeot's and Vauxhall's with things such as high lift cams, raised compression, exhausts and enlarged throttle body.

I have only remapped one of my cars (a 106 rallye running race 1.6 16v engine on standard 1.3 managment) which was in sorely need of it due to the MAJOR difference.

As per my previous post, I have a suspected blown turbo (td04?) on my MY98 UK T2000 wagon, and looking to replace with a VF23 turbo which I can pick up for about £100.

The car is my daily driver, in which I drive just too and from work in about 10 miles round trip, and whatever I do at the weekends. Roughly about 7k a year. I hardly ever go flat out in it, apart from the Nurburgring at the weekend, which was when the Turbo went.

My issue is do I REALLY need to remap the ecu just to run this similar but slightly larger turbo to my car. What would actually be the conseqences if I just bolted it on and drove? I can understand the benefits to a good map, but due to the costs, i would rather not at remap at this stage.

Can anyone please explain what happens if I dont from REAL experience?
Old 03 June 2009, 11:12 AM
saxx
Scooby Regular

The choice is yours to be honest. The car would benefit from a remap as the mapper would be able to eradicate any flat spots and raise injector duty to compensate for the increase in boost. The air/fuel ratio can be monitored and altered if need be, which all enhance your driving experience. BUT to answer your question, is it totally neccessary? with the spec that you've outlined there is very little difference between both turbo's. As long as you don't be running the car on full boost, i think that you will be fine.

I had a standard wrx (1995) once, with td05, front mount, hks filter and ss exhaust with high flow sports cat. I was running 1.4 bar with the aid of a restrictor pill and had no issues whatsoever. it made 311 bhp on the rollers. I did not have the car remapped, standard fuel pump and standard injectors.

If you do get the car re-mapped you'll notice quite a difference however...
Old 03 June 2009, 11:17 AM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

I too have a fully modded Impreza... Headers, up pipe, down pipe decat, mid section, back box, front mount intercooler, induction kit.

The car is running 310BHP on a standard map and running fine! Fueling is a little rich, but nothing to cry about (infact its pretty much running the same as before the mods)

So in other words, you dont HAVE to remap, but remapping will give you that little bit extra, getting rid of the flat spots and taking full advantage of the mods you have.

With a remap, i could see my impreza reaching 350bhp+ easily

But then again you are going for a completely different turbo to what the ecu is used to... so as your changing that, maybe it is best to get a remap

Last edited by Jamz_; 03 June 2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03 June 2009, 11:32 AM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

don't forget though you are planning on a different turbo, the ecu is mapped to work and control the boost of the td04. i would have thought you may get boost issues and certainly won't get the best from the turbo.
i can understand de-cats etc but the turbo is a major part of your engine.
Guess your nest question will be if you can just swap to the standard ecu that is mapped to work with the vf23 and open another can of worms.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 03 June 2009, 11:41 AM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

I would remap after fitting an induction kit for sure. Mine ran very rich without, as the different "style" of airflow was confusing the MAF sensor apparently, and knocking the torque right back.
Figures before 330/335
Figures after 360/398.
Old 03 June 2009, 11:48 AM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

And if you do decide to remap, chose your remapper carefully. Tell them clearly what YOU want from the car, don't just say 'here is my car, remap it and I'll collect it later'. Some remaps can totally remove the fun factor driveability from the car, making the remapping process a total waste of money. The idea of having a turbo car is to feel a nice, strong surge of power at a certain rev range, and for me, the idea of a remap is to improve this surge, not eliminate it at the expense of having supposed torque coming in slightly earlier in the rev range, or else you may as well buy a normally aspirated car.
Old 03 June 2009, 12:20 PM
e6tony
Scooby Regular

just keep modding without a remap with your fueling all over the place and then post the pics of your engine when it goes bang mate ! should give us all a laugh lol !!! the answer to your question is YES a remap is essential !!!!
Old 03 June 2009, 12:24 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by e6tony
just keep modding without a remap with your fueling all over the place and then post the pics of your engine when it goes bang mate ! should give us all a laugh lol !!! the answer to your question is YES a remap is essential !!!!
Not necessarily... like i said.. ive got a hightly engine modified scooby running standard ecu and there is nothing wrong with the fueling, but make sure you take it on a rolling road to see what its doing, if it is all over the place and under fueling or way over fueling, get it remaped
Old 03 June 2009, 01:01 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jamz_
Not necessarily... like i said.. ive got a hightly engine modified scooby running standard ecu and there is nothing wrong with the fueling, but make sure you take it on a rolling road to see what its doing, if it is all over the place and under fueling or way over fueling, get it remaped
Is your car MOT;d? And how did you get it to pass emissions?
Old 03 June 2009, 01:08 PM
New_scooby_04

I had to drive my car about 50 miles to the mapper after going from a TD04 to VF35. It wouldn't have been running dangerous lean at that point (knocklink remined quiet) BUT it was 'orrible to drive - flat as a pancake; the ECU clearly didn't know what to do with the larger turbo. After the remap.... Yikes!

If you don't remap the best case scenario is that you won't be getting the best from your mods, which seems a shame. They may even impair the drivability of your car!

Worst case scenario: You'lll break something expensive!
Old 03 June 2009, 01:10 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

I wouldn't yours is highly modified jamz, its just basic mods. waht version car is it by the way?

the problem is some cars are fine with decat, induction kit even possibly a front mount, but theres no guarnties that'll be the case, some spit there dummy out even with a decat, hit boost cut and in some cases totaly badger up the AFR.

as far as changing the turbo then yes you'll def need a map, the boost profile will need to be mapped and the afr corrected.

Worst case you'll be needing a rebuild, thats how serious an issue it could be
Old 03 June 2009, 01:23 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STI_Baly
Is your car MOT;d? And how did you get it to pass emissions?
Yes and its a 93 import
Old 03 June 2009, 01:27 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
I wouldn't yours is highly modified jamz, its just basic mods. waht version car is it by the way?

the problem is some cars are fine with decat, induction kit even possibly a front mount, but theres no guarnties that'll be the case, some spit there dummy out even with a decat, hit boost cut and in some cases totaly badger up the AFR.

as far as changing the turbo then yes you'll def need a map, the boost profile will need to be mapped and the afr corrected.

Worst case you'll be needing a rebuild, thats how serious an issue it could be
Aye mine was hitting boost cut, but then knocked the boost controller down and works spot on
Old 03 June 2009, 01:48 PM
scoobyhoobydoo
Scooby Regular

I would check but unless things have changed a MY98 UK car can not be remapped but would need a replacement ecu something like an APEXi Power FC + fitting and then mapping/adjusting to get the most out of what you have.

It might be cheaper to stick with another td04 and then see what you want to do as its £'s if the engine lets go due to running lean and the damage can be done in second.

Last edited by scoobyhoobydoo; 03 June 2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: spelling (lack of)
Old 03 June 2009, 01:58 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

correct you cannot map a my97/98 version 3/4 it's aftermarket ecu time.
Old 03 June 2009, 02:04 PM
grahamfrary
Scooby Regular

You can look around for a second hand Power Engineering one with the piggy bag board to replace the existing ecu.
Old 03 June 2009, 02:07 PM
Biggs
Scooby Regular

Location: East Barnet/southgate on the borders of North London and Hertfordshire

Esl daughter board is mapabale is it not ?? that fits the early impreza's
Old 03 June 2009, 02:16 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Biggs
Esl daughter board is mapabale is it not ?? that fits the early impreza's

not as yet supposed to have been happening ages ago but still not available.
Old 03 June 2009, 02:20 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jamz_
Yes and its a 93 import
Lol that answers that Question hehe
Old 03 June 2009, 04:31 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ishan
I've searched on this matter, but all i've found is people saying you HAVE to remap, even after things like adding a decat and induction kit.

I'm new to Subaru's but i've lightly modified a few Peugeot's and Vauxhall's with things such as high lift cams, raised compression, exhausts and enlarged throttle body.

I have only remapped one of my cars (a 106 rallye running race 1.6 16v engine on standard 1.3 managment) which was in sorely need of it due to the MAJOR difference.

As per my previous post, I have a suspected blown turbo (td04?) on my MY98 UK T2000 wagon, and looking to replace with a VF23 turbo which I can pick up for about £100.

The car is my daily driver, in which I drive just too and from work in about 10 miles round trip, and whatever I do at the weekends. Roughly about 7k a year. I hardly ever go flat out in it, apart from the Nurburgring at the weekend, which was when the Turbo went.

My issue is do I REALLY need to remap the ecu just to run this similar but slightly larger turbo to my car. What would actually be the conseqences if I just bolted it on and drove? I can understand the benefits to a good map, but due to the costs, i would rather not at remap at this stage.

Can anyone please explain what happens if I dont from REAL experience?
I would treat modding on a turbo car with a lot more care than a NA car when it comes to remapping or not - overboosting and detting can result in damage to the engine quite quickly. My recommendation would be for a remap to adjust the wastegate duty for your new turbo and check the fueling, etc. Just my 2p.
Old 03 June 2009, 06:00 PM
ishan
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the honest responses.

I've come to the conclusion that for my needs its best to replace with another standard TD04 turbo rather than upgrade. I'm not after big power and would much prefer to maintain the longevity of the engine and spend the money on my other project.
Old 03 June 2009, 06:10 PM
hybrid12
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by e6tony

got to agree with this guy wouldnt even think about putting a bigger turbo on without a remap, as a remaps a hell of a lot cheaper than a new engine! its just not worth the risk mate
Old 03 June 2009, 08:08 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Should you remap - to get the best out of it, yes.

Will I get mine mapped - most likely not.

<<<<<

Been like that for over 2 years. Works for me, but don't take that as it'll work for others.

Last edited by mickywrx; 03 June 2009 at 08:10 PM.