Notices

Subaru WRX starting problem when cold

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2009, 07:11 AM
dmuwanguzi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru WRX starting problem when cold

Hi, Can someone give me some advice. My subaru wrx 1996 import has a problem starting when cold. it starts but the revs are so low for the first 5 seconds (200 - 300 rpm) and so sort of chokes and then goes off. Once warm and for the rest of the day it starts okay. It does this mainly in the mornings. Anyone have an idea what i could look out for.
thanks
Old 28 May 2009, 07:29 AM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dmuwanguzi
Hi, Can someone give me some advice. My subaru wrx 1996 import has a problem starting when cold. it starts but the revs are so low for the first 5 seconds (200 - 300 rpm) and so sort of chokes and then goes off. Once warm and for the rest of the day it starts okay. It does this mainly in the mornings. Anyone have an idea what i could look out for.
thanks
When was it last serviced? Fuel filter, plugs and air filter i would look at as a starting point as they arent expensive to replace. Does it drive ok other than this?
Old 28 May 2009, 08:16 AM
dmuwanguzi
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your response. I changed the oil and checked plugs about 5 months ago. Plugs were okay so didnt change them. Changed the fuel filter and air filter though. This actually started when i changed to shell vpower fuel. I disconnected the battery to reset the ecu as i read in some posts but problem persists so i thought maybe something else is causing it.
Old 28 May 2009, 09:07 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crank sensor and coolant temp sensor can also cause starting problems (crank though would have be all the time not just when cold i would have thought).

www.scoobypedia.co.uk under the ecu heading has a manual way of testing for error codes.

Last edited by myblackwrx; 28 May 2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 28 May 2009, 10:29 AM
speedy steve
Scooby Regular

+1 for coolant temp sensor.

Just changed mine for various reasons, bad fuel economy ( read worse than usual ) dodgy starting when hot etc.

The difference is massive & the car is generally so much better, definately not imagining it.

Easy job to swap & doesnt cost much ( £20 off fleabay )

definately worth a try
Old 28 May 2009, 12:55 PM
dmuwanguzi
Scooby Regular

Ok. thanks I will run a diagnostic just to make sure then change the coolant temp sensor. AM sure it throws a code, doesnt it.
Old 28 May 2009, 01:34 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

It should throw up a code BUT if it doesn't take it to a garage that has a 'Select Monitor' (old subaru diagnostic tool) to make sure, as my temp sensor was going wrong but didn't illuminate the CEL but was picked up on the Select Monitor
Old 28 May 2009, 05:45 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

sounds like you have the same problem as me, see my thread "ggrr.. still got cold idle issue" i have tried cleaning icv, i have just ordered a new coolant sensor.
my cel light has not come on and i have not got any fault codes stored.
the cel will only light or a code will only be registered if the sensor fails to give a signal atall. i think my sensor is just sending the wrong signal.
Old 29 May 2009, 06:08 AM
dmuwanguzi
Scooby Regular

Thank you all for your responses. I am hoping to get time this weekend to run diagnostics see what comes up. Might just order the coolant sensor. Will also check the plugs. Any more ideas of anything else i can check / change while am at it? Is it worth resetting the ECU using the diagnostics?
Old 30 May 2009, 12:43 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

ive changed my coolant sensor today. £10 from ebay. so far so good. took about 30mins start to finish as i took the air box and turbo pipe off and a few other bits. will know in a few days if its worked after a few cold starts.

i also checked the turbo shaft for play while i was in there. i wish i hadnt! its got quite a bit of play. bummer.
you fix one problem and find another.....
Old 01 June 2009, 09:41 AM
dmuwanguzi
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the update. I didnt get a chance to change mine this weekend so i will wait for your update after a few days and if its now behaving i will go ahead and change mine.
Old 30 July 2009, 01:37 PM
dmuwanguzi
Scooby Regular

Hi all, thanks for your help. I changed my temperature sensor and the starting problem on cold mornings is now okay.