Notices

New exhaust but need to replace this funny sensor

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2009, 10:11 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New exhaust but need to replace this funny sensor

Hello, I have had a new exhaust fitted by Charlie in Prospeed in Cardiff and he done a fantasic job. Can't thank him enough for what he provided me with she sounds amazing. Exactly like I wanted, if not better.
He showed me before he took my old system off a small sensor (not the lambda sensor) he called the exhaust heat sensor. I have never noticed this sensor before but it has been on the exhaust so long it was completly rusted and he couldn't get it off. So told me to get another one and take it up to him and he will fit it, he didn't make any holes ready for it for obvious reasons. I've spoken to my boyfriend and he said he doesn't have one on his car which is only a year younger than mine but I do like to keep things the same, she must have had one on for a reason so ...
Charlie told me to ignore the engine light if it came on but it hasn't come on so far and I've done over 50 miles! So do I really need to get another one or just leave it. If I do where can I get one from and what exactly is it called?

If anyone can shed some light on this that would be great.
Thanks Claire
Old 24 May 2009, 10:58 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Exhaust gas temp sensor, Pretty certain the ECU will use it to adjust boost, so not to knacker the turbo up.
Get another one fitted.
D.
Old 24 May 2009, 11:58 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Hi Claire,
Yes its the EGT or 'cat on fire' If you have no cat fitted then it is obsolete, it has nothing to do with boost control it simply prevents the cat from melting. I removed mine when i fitted my decat with no problems
Old 25 May 2009, 08:53 AM
turbomax
Scooby Regular

agreed it serves no use now. does not flag up any lights on dash either.

mine was rusted solid as well.
Old 25 May 2009, 12:21 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b13bat
Hi Claire,
Yes its the EGT or 'cat on fire' If you have no cat fitted then it is obsolete, it has nothing to do with boost control it simply prevents the cat from melting. I removed mine when i fitted my decat with no problems
The sensor was after the cat tho chick, I have the cat on the downpipe same as the old one, only thing changed is the center piece is a stright pipe now with out any mufflers on it.
Old 25 May 2009, 12:45 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blueg14rep
The sensor was after the cat tho chick, I have the cat on the downpipe same as the old one, only thing changed is the center piece is a stright pipe now with out any mufflers on it.
Not having a lot of luck are ya luv!!
How many wires on the sensor, and where do the wires connect to?? My EGT was 2 wire, 1 red 1 black iirc and terminated at a 2 pin socket near the BCS. The sensor its self was located in the downpipe, the lambda/O2 sensor is located in the drivers side exhaust manifold.

Post a pic if ya can
Old 25 May 2009, 12:51 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Oh i'm telling you it one thing after another. This isn't my only problem, the car is still missing and jerking. I didn't get a chance to take a picture. I dont think it had any wires it just looked like a braided hose. He showed me a little nut thing that you use to hold it in place. I couldn't see where they were attached to but it was after the cat and i'm 95% sure it was half way along the center piece of the exhaust.
Old 25 May 2009, 01:04 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

The end that i could see looked a bit like the thin end on this photo. Really wish i'd taken a photo now. If anyone does have a photo of it on their car please post it and I can say if it looked like that.

Thanks
Old 25 May 2009, 01:11 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Yeah i know, been following your posts

If the sensor came out of the old center pipe then i wouldnt worry about it as there prob isn't a port for it on the new one

There are quite a few posts at the mo with much the same 'jerking' probs as yours but no solutions. As mentioned it 'could' be fuel pump and the one recommended is a good replacment

Just a thought, have you changed your lambda/O2 sensor??
Old 25 May 2009, 01:27 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

No I haven't changed that lambda sensor, I should do but there is no engine faults on her and cant afford to just buy things hoping that will be it. It's no my list of things to get for her in time, Where can i get one from that I can just change it like for like without having to mess about with wires? Thanks for your help once again again
Old 25 May 2009, 02:27 PM
w13dle
Scooby Regular

lambda sensors are stupid money roughly about £150 most good tuning companys sell them Rogar clark Graham Goode have them on there site but a universal item which is the same thing also made from bosch can be had for about £40 from just lambda model lS02 but the wire from your orginal will need chopping then the new attaching

Last edited by w13dle; 25 May 2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 26 May 2009, 01:17 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blueg14rep
No I haven't changed that lambda sensor, I should do but there is no engine faults on her and cant afford to just buy things hoping that will be it. It's no my list of things to get for her in time, Where can i get one from that I can just change it like for like without having to mess about with wires? Thanks for your help once again again
Nah, mine never showed a cel either, the reason i new it had gone was a] rough running and increased fuel consumption and b] i have a afr meter fitted which started acting odd.

As above got mine from www.justlambda, it comes with a loom and socket which is about a 20 min job but with the luck you have [or lack of it]..............

You can test the lambda, by putting a multimeter on it, on tick-over it should cycle from 0.1v to 0.9v continually, this will at least let you know if it needs replacing and save you ££££££. Hope this is of help to you
Old 01 June 2009, 11:21 PM
w13dle
Scooby Regular

just curious how you've gone on did you manage to sort it?
Old 02 June 2009, 11:26 AM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by w13dle
just curious how you've gone on did you manage to sort it?

I haven't done anything with it so far, I've spoken to a guy who fixes these cars all day and he told me not to bother getting another one fitted. If the engine light had come on I would look into it further!