Notices

cambelt change - what tools?

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2009, 10:52 AM
MostlyMonki
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cambelt change - what tools?

going to make a start on my cambelt/water pump change after work today. what tools am i going to need? just in case i dont have anything, i'll send the missus out shopping for me
Old 24 March 2009, 02:16 PM
Normski
Scooby Regular

Location: Stirlingshire; Wrx type RA STi version 2 V-Limited; #097/555

Nothing that special, a socket set and spanners. A long breaker bar to take the crank pulley off, it's very tight. And you might need a puller to get the crank pulley off the crank. When I did mine, I didn't, it came off easy. I removed the radiator to give more space and make the job easier.
Old 24 March 2009, 03:29 PM
MostlyMonki
Scooby Newbie

no rad to worry about, as the motors in the back of an old vw beetle

am i right in thinking that if i hand crank it to where the marks on the belt line up with those on the case, i can then just use a couple of g-clamps between the cams to hold everything in place while i change the belt?
Old 24 March 2009, 04:56 PM
MostlyMonki
Scooby Newbie

also, how do i take the pressure off the tensioner without any special tools? just been reading the manual and its talking about "vertical pressing tools" and all sorts of things! surely some "normal" tool will do?
Old 24 March 2009, 08:17 PM
STI5300
Scooby Regular

I usually use a vice which I hold vertically and then very very slowly wind it up never forcing the piston light fingers only, you'll ned a 2.5mm ish pin to hold it once fully compressed through the holes clearly seen in the body and pin.
Old 25 March 2009, 10:38 AM
kingmikeyuk
Scooby Regular

I found the most usefull thing to do when doing this is to use plenty of 'white' marker pen on the belt and all the pulleys then take some piccies before you start to take things off, i found that even after clamping the camshaft pulleys they still try and move because one side will be under tension form the valve springs. Good luck not a particulrly hard job just need to be carefull on reassembly, you will need a vice to compress the tensioner .
Old 25 March 2009, 12:31 PM
MostlyMonki
Scooby Newbie

I'm a bit confused about one thing thats written in the manual... to remove the belt do i just need to remove the pulley, then compress the tensioner before installing the new belt?
Old 25 March 2009, 01:35 PM
Scooby Jonni
Scooby Regular

when you remove the tensioner you should be able to remove the belt. if it is a hydraulic tensioner (pre 97) i would advise changing it though. Also don’t forget to slide the tensier fully to the left and do the bolts up before pulling the pin.
Old 26 March 2009, 01:41 PM
Normski
Scooby Regular

Location: Stirlingshire; Wrx type RA STi version 2 V-Limited; #097/555

Originally Posted by MostlyMonki
I'm a bit confused about one thing that's written in the manual... to remove the belt do i just need to remove the pulley, then compress the tensioner before installing the new belt?
What year of engine is it? As the type of tensioner changed on the ver3 onwards (1997). Pre 97 cars (mine) have a hydraulic ram which pushes on an eccentric pulley, post 97 have a different system where a smaller ram pushes on a lever that has a pulley on it's end.

If it's pre97, the tensioner has slotted holes so when it's bolts are loosened the tensioner slides away from the belt releasing the tension. To refit, the rams' piston has to be compressed and held with the small pin mentioned. Refit the bolts with the tensioner in the position 'scooby jonni' says then remove the pin.