Notices

Strange Hot/Warm Start Issue

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2009, 08:27 PM
monkeyboy173
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Hot/Warm Start Issue

I have a MY03 STi and over the last couple of days its started not starting but only when it wants to.

Basically it will start when its cold and when its hot (I.E in a petrol station) but if i leave it for a hour or so it wont start. It cranks for 5 - 20 secs then splutters into life

Im not sure if its related but occasionally if you accelerate in say 3rd up to 4K then change gear when you dip the clutch the revs rise by 500-1000rpm and then come back down.

I have spoken to Bob Rawle as this started post remap but he thinks it is not related, He suggested the Idle Control Valve could be the problem and recommended cleaning it. I have ordered the replacement gasket and will clean it tomorrow when it arrives but I thought I would ask the question to see if anybody had any other ideas as well.

Thanks in advance
Old 24 March 2009, 12:05 AM
monkeyboy173
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 24 March 2009, 02:43 PM
monkeyboy173
Scooby Regular

anyone
Old 24 March 2009, 09:32 PM
monkeyboy173
Scooby Regular

UPDATE:

I have removed the ICV tonight and cleaned it out with carb cleaner and blown it through with an air line, refitted with a new gasket but the problem is still there.

I had a good dig about with all the plugs, earths, hoses etc etc but I couldnt find any loose plugs or leaks anywhere.

I have discovered that when the car having its funny 5 minutes and just cranking over and over if I press the accelerator it starts instantly.

Could this be anything to do with a failing MAF sensor?

Any pointers would be great
Old 24 March 2009, 09:54 PM
Jay_
Scooby Regular

Sounds a bit odd that your revs actually rise by so much on gear change Maybe not related to the starting issue though.

Might be worth you doing an earth overhaul.... clean up and rub down all earth points e.g. battery negative to inner wing, then to starter motor, and over to inlet manifold and apply copper grease afterwards. A dodgy earth can do strange things

Not sure about MAF sensor though as this would probably cause lumpy running generally rather than not starting. i doubt also this would cause over-revving on lift off but I may be wrong. If it transpires that's the cause then I have a spare 2nd hand new age MAF if you need it.
Old 24 March 2009, 10:07 PM
monkeyboy173
Scooby Regular

JAY -Thanks for the reply.

I will try the earth thing at the weekend, Is it worth rubbing the body contacts down to bear metal or just cleaning them befor the copper grease?

Thanks for the MAF offer as well.

I just cant get out of my head that this may have something to do with the new 650cc injectors/Remap as it started the same afternoon?! I have spoken to Bob Rawle but he is sure its not related.
Old 24 March 2009, 10:57 PM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

I think I read somewhere about water temp sensor issue causing this problem.
When cold it was perfect but when the car was up to temp the car would drive like a dog. I know its not the same thing but could be a connection there?

Hope you get it sorted.
Old 24 March 2009, 11:00 PM
monkeyboy173
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shmerman
I think I read somewhere about water temp sensor issue causing this problem.
When cold it was perfect but when the car was up to temp the car would drive like a dog. I know its not the same thing but could be a connection there?

Hope you get it sorted.
Thanks I will look into that aswell.
Old 24 March 2009, 11:26 PM
Jay_
Scooby Regular

If it's any consolation, I have quite often had problems straight after a remap and the majority of times it turns out not to be related to the mapping. A remap can place different stresses and strains on the car and therefore manifest probs that have otherwise been lurking unnoticed

You say you've had new injectors fitted.... has something else been affected when they were being fitted... possibly an earth etc? I doubt injectors would cause the probs your experiencing.

If doing an earth overhaul, I always clean all contact points back to bare metal with some wet&dry and/or wire wool. Copper slip once you've re-assembled, that just seals it and stops corrosion.

Sounds more like an electrical/battery/sensor issue to me.