Notices

turbo shaft play

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2009, 09:41 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo shaft play

hi,how do u tell wether a turbo is fooked or not ? i have a vf35 and im sure that there is whats called "shaft play" in it,if i grab hold of both ends of the shaft,and pull up there is no movement,nor down,but if i move one end up and the other end down it moves.is this fooked or not,pls help.
Old 03 March 2009, 09:57 PM
fossie
Scooby Regular

Thought it was if you wiggle the shaft around in the housing??? Plus if its pissing oil from the exhaust
Old 03 March 2009, 10:00 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

the turbo aint yet fitted,turbo is in clean condition,what u mean?wiggle around by doing it just on one end of shaft?
Old 03 March 2009, 10:40 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

anyone? i dont know wether ive bought a duff turbo or not?pls help.
Old 04 March 2009, 01:14 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Old 04 March 2009, 05:44 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

anyone? someone must know roughly how to see if its knackered or not?
Old 04 March 2009, 06:17 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

You mean there is no radial movement but the shaft will slide longditudanaly (sic) i.e end float?
Old 04 March 2009, 06:22 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

no,it wont move backwards or forwards at all(exhaust end to impeller end)and it dosent move if i hold the shaft at both ends and lift up,down or side to side,the movement is only there if i grap one end of shaft(exhaust side or impeller) and move it up and down.if i move impeller end up the exhaust end would go down,is this normal,or is it knackered?
Old 04 March 2009, 06:42 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any witness marks around the Compressor Housing where the Compressor wheel has been rubbing ? If so - its fooked.

Mick
Old 04 March 2009, 06:45 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon
no,it wont move backwards or forwards at all(exhaust end to impeller end)and it dosent move if i hold the shaft at both ends and lift up,down or side to side,the movement is only there if i grap one end of shaft(exhaust side or impeller) and move it up and down.if i move impeller end up the exhaust end would go down,is this normal,or is it knackered?
Right, sounds like one of the bearings is f*cked in that case. I would get it checked out before fitting it.
Old 04 March 2009, 06:57 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

there are no marks at all,but if i push the shaft up or down via impeller end and spin the impeller i would say it just and just touches the housing,(and i mean just)there are no visible marks or scratches etc.
Old 04 March 2009, 08:58 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

comments anyone? please.......
Old 05 March 2009, 07:13 AM
Adam K
Scooby Regular

Just figure what an impeller turning with 180.000 rpm would like to touch the houing....
Get the bearing(s) fixed before fitting!
Old 05 March 2009, 08:31 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There will be some movement as you've lost the oil film between bearings and shaft.
Like Merlin24 says, look for score/rub marks where wheels have touched the housing.

Nick
Old 05 March 2009, 12:30 PM
jimbob9875
Scooby Regular

SOME UP/DOWM MOVEMENT IN THE SHAFT IS NORMAL DUE TO THERE BEING NO OIL OR OIL PRESSURE IN THE BEARINGS

ASLONG AS THER IS NO ENDFLOAT UR TURBO SHOULD BE OK
DONT FORGET TO PRIME THE TURBO BEFFORE FITTING OR STARTING UR ENGINE
JAMIE

Last edited by jimbob9875; 05 March 2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: FORGOT SOMMAT
Old 05 March 2009, 03:18 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

by endfloat,do u mean the whole length of shaft back wards and forwards?if so there is no movement at all that way. there are no visible score or rub marks on the housing.At the compressor wheel end i can push shaft down and if i put a bit of pressure on it,like i said i can just and just make it touch the housing,but only just,it dosent look like the wheel has ever touched the houseing in the past! turbo is believed to have done 37k from new running on standard boost,its in very clean condition,what would this be like in comparison to a new one?would u be able to get a new turbo to do this(just touch the houseing)? im led to believe that its in perfect condition,im just unsure what a new one would be like,does this sound normal?obviously i dont want to fit a so called perfect turbo to find out its a heap of s**t. i havent got a clue about turbos! pls keep the comments coming,great help
Old 05 March 2009, 03:33 PM
jimbob9875
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon
by endfloat,do u mean the whole length of shaft back wards and forwards?if so there is no movement at all that way. there are no visible score or rub marks on the housing.At the compressor wheel end i can push shaft down and if i put a bit of pressure on it,like i said i can just and just make it touch the housing,but only just,it dosent look like the wheel has ever touched the houseing in the past! turbo is believed to have done 37k from new running on standard boost,its in very clean condition,what would this be like in comparison to a new one?would u be able to get a new turbo to do this(just touch the houseing)? im led to believe that its in perfect condition,im just unsure what a new one would be like,does this sound normal?obviously i dont want to fit a so called perfect turbo to find out its a heap of s**t. i havent got a clue about turbos! pls keep the comments coming,great help
yes bud thats whats meant by endfloat and is ther is no movement there thats a good sighn
brand new turbo`s don`t tend to touch the housing in my experiance but after a few hundred miles of running they get to that point.
spinn the shaft with your fingers and the shaft should cetralise anyway, if there is a bearing problem it would also feel rough and notchy
if there are no marks on the housing then the blades havent been touching so i wouldn`t wory about that,
makesure the wastegat is operating ok(suck on the pipe fitting) and make sure the valve moves then try and get as much carbon cleaned up from around the valve (to ensure a proper seal)
then get tha baby fitted

don`t forget to prime (fill with oil down oil intake feed usually on the top of the turbo) before fitting , when u get it on and start ur engine leave it to idle for a few minutes befor reving the engin and keep an eye out for leaks , also check ur oil pressure waring light goes out and stays out or if u have a pressure gauge keep ur eye on that .

good luck

jamie
Old 05 March 2009, 03:46 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jimbob9875
yes bud thats whats meant by endfloat and is ther is no movement there thats a good sighn
brand new turbo`s don`t tend to touch the housing in my experiance but after a few hundred miles of running they get to that point.
spinn the shaft with your fingers and the shaft should cetralise anyway, if there is a bearing problem it would also feel rough and notchy
if there are no marks on the housing then the blades havent been touching so i wouldn`t wory about that,
makesure the wastegat is operating ok(suck on the pipe fitting) and make sure the valve moves then try and get as much carbon cleaned up from around the valve (to ensure a proper seal)
then get tha baby fitted

don`t forget to prime (fill with oil down oil intake feed usually on the top of the turbo) before fitting , when u get it on and start ur engine leave it to idle for a few minutes befor reving the engin and keep an eye out for leaks , also check ur oil pressure waring light goes out and stays out or if u have a pressure gauge keep ur eye on that .

good luck

jamie
just span the turbo shaft and it spins dead central,with no noises or notchy feel to it,im starting to think maybe it is ok? i just thought that play in the shaft means fooked turbo?
Old 05 March 2009, 03:51 PM
jimbob9875
Scooby Regular

no m8 there is always play in the shaft when they are of the vehicle

if ur still unsure
pop to a garage with it and ask or if ur near leeds pop to me and i`l check it for ya

jamie
Old 05 March 2009, 03:55 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

im not near leeds mate,but cheers anyway,does it sound like ive bought a worn turbo or one that is pretty much like new?i think the 37k mileage is genuine.
Old 05 March 2009, 04:00 PM
jimbob9875
Scooby Regular

sounds good to me
as said it`s the endfloat thats the killer with turbos

if it were mine i`d put it on and see
if ur worried dont connect the intake pipe for the first ten minutes of running and if the blades do touch and brake they wont go into ur engine!!

jamie

Last edited by jimbob9875; 05 March 2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05 March 2009, 04:10 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

from what i can tell,there is no way that the blades will touch the housing when on the car as i can only just get them to do it whilst off the car,im quite confident about that,even if i was to force the shaft down by hand i can only just get it to touch,it would never be enough to damage blades,and like u say,this is without oil in it/pressure.u have gave me quite a bit of peace of mind,thanks for that,do u know how long vf35s last for,the most ill be running it is probably 1.4-5 bar?
Old 05 March 2009, 04:25 PM
jimbob9875
Scooby Regular

each turbo can vary depending on

1 oil used
2 boost presure
3 how often it`s driven hard when not up to temp
4 how many times the engine been turned of when hot with not allowing the turbo time to cool
5 how u drive if u are constantly on boost it wont last as long as if u only have full boost ocaisional

there are so many variables u cant put a lifespan on a turbo
but properly serviced and looked after i.e warm the engine before driving hard and allow to cool properly before switching the engine off a turbo should last at least 100k

it`s the same with things like clutches they are desighned to outlast the car it`s the nut behind the wheel that causes the problems.

jamie
Old 05 March 2009, 04:33 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

sorted mate,ive always treated my car with the up most respect,so does the misses,its only blasted now and then when im driving,i would never come on boost when engine is cold and its always left to cool down! so as long as the 37k its done has been treated well,it should be good for another 70k then.thanks for all your info,its helped alot!
Old 05 March 2009, 07:53 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 oil used Millers 10w50
2 boost presure Standard
3 how often it`s driven hard when not up to temp Never, always warmed for 15mins. Not taken passed 3k rpm until!
4 how many times the engine been turned of when hot with not allowing the turbo time to cool Never. Always driven off boost for 15mins after a run or left for a good few mins before switching off
5 how u drive if u are constantly on boost it wont last as long as if u only have full boost ocaisional Full boost blasts only occasionally. Also done approx 15 laps of Nurburgring which I let the cool down for at least 10mins afterwards.

The 37k miles I had done prior to taking the turbo off was mainly motorway miles. Being based in Germany when I bought the car, I've done 6 return journeys from Wales to Hameln in Germany.

HTH
Old 05 March 2009, 08:29 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mervil
1 oil used Millers 10w50
2 boost presure Standard
3 how often it`s driven hard when not up to temp Never, always warmed for 15mins. Not taken passed 3k rpm until!
4 how many times the engine been turned of when hot with not allowing the turbo time to cool Never. Always driven off boost for 15mins after a run or left for a good few mins before switching off
5 how u drive if u are constantly on boost it wont last as long as if u only have full boost ocaisional Full boost blasts only occasionally. Also done approx 15 laps of Nurburgring which I let the cool down for at least 10mins afterwards.

The 37k miles I had done prior to taking the turbo off was mainly motorway miles. Being based in Germany when I bought the car, I've done 6 return journeys from Wales to Hameln in Germany.

HTH
thanks mate,my fingers are crossed on this one,from what ive found out so far im fairly confident turbo is ok, was there anything untoward in the later stages of owning this turbo? i personally think that this turbo may be fine but i need to get it checked for peace of mind before fitting.i wish i had another turbo to compare it with! just cant tell myself wether the condition is basically good as new(mint),or nearly knackered.ill let u know when i know!
Old 09 August 2009, 10:16 PM
bmposer
Scooby Regular

Hi was the turbo ok in the end, i have just bought one that has a bit of up and down play but no in and out.
Just wondered what you thought.
Old 11 August 2009, 09:51 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Checking Turbo Shaft Play

Posted for me by Merlin24

Dean