Engine Check light - have already used 'search'

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2009, 01:38 PM
alexst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Check light - have already used 'search'

Hi there bit of a newbie.

Had an Evo VII GTA sold about 4 months ago, missed the speed but got a dog, so picked up a 1999 wagon a couple of weeks ago.

Had a missfire/engine check intermittent light on dash board on more often than not though. There was a damaged ignition lead so changed those on Saturday and light went out, thought it was sorted, but then after a little bit of swift driving came on again breifly for about 2 mins or so then went out again. Then on Sunday morning was on straight away, after about 10 mins of relaxed driving and same loss of power missfiring problem went out and was fine after a bout 3 miles. Then came on again intermittently when driving up and down steep car park hill and went off again for the 10 mile drive home. Same again this morning, took dog out before work and light on again only did 1 mile though so never had a chance to warm up properly.

The light is off more often than on now accompanied by loss of power.

Any ideas. I will probably drop it off with Matt at TRL in halifax to run a diagnostics check but was just wondering if anyone had experienced a similar experience.

Thanks and Hello

P.s. I love it, when it has full power, much more forgiving on the twisties than the Evo with tein suspension fitted, as everyone seems to say evo for the track and scooby for the drive home. I do have a tow bar fitted actually, hmmmmm

Last edited by alexst; 23 February 2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 23 February 2009, 02:15 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Scoobypedia / Scoobypedia under the 'ECU' heading shows you how to manually check error codes (there are test connectors under the dash).
That will bring up a code (or a few codes)

Misfire could be caused by quite a few things unfortunately ,plugs leads,maf sensor failing etc.
Old 23 February 2009, 05:52 PM
alexst
Scooby Regular

Nice one cheers, I think ill let TRL check for error codes and take it from there. Ill update here with my particular solution though, hopefully I'll find it soon as driving to france mid march to go skiing, although I guess if its not sorted ill just get there more slowly!
Old 24 February 2009, 11:07 AM
alexst
Scooby Regular

It is a knocking sensor fault, must have an open circuit somewhere apparently, it checks for engine detonation and pinking. Matt at the racing line said its definitely that as he cleared it and it came cack straight away when he turned the engine on twice with no other error codes to speak of. I don’t think it had that fault when I bought it as the light was never on when I turned the engine on initially only intermittently when I drove it. £180 + VAT supplied and fitted, bugger!!