Notices

overboost help

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2009, 11:05 PM
ferrett
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overboost help

so after getting the wrx (95) i thought the hessitation was a miss fire but after driving it for a while i think its wot you guys call overboost seems worse in first gear tho then seems to clear .. if you drive it hard it goes away and if you toodle along its there again just done a service including oil and fuel filter...help me please
Old 12 February 2009, 09:52 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

over boost normally means you hit fuel cut and that's like hitting a brick wall,the car stops and your head nearly goes through the windscreen.
Old 12 February 2009, 08:09 PM
ferrett
Scooby Newbie

so is it coz its fresh in from japland and running 97 ron does anyone think it needs ecu reset to use 97 ron
Old 12 February 2009, 08:28 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do the reset to see if it helps but most people do run v power or tescos 99 ron.
Your car was designed to run on something near that rating anyway.
Has it got any mods done to it?
Old 12 February 2009, 09:06 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ferrett
so after getting the wrx (95) i thought the hessitation was a miss fire but after driving it for a while i think its wot you guys call overboost seems worse in first gear tho then seems to clear .. if you drive it hard it goes away and if you toodle along its there again just done a service including oil and fuel filter...help me please
Would think its more of a miss that over boost, dont ever remember a car overboosting in 1st, max boost is not normally achieved until WOT on in 4th/5th gear. As said try a tankful of V-Power or Tesco99 and an ECU reset, might be worth a new set of plugs too (if not done on the service)

Last edited by Glowplug; 12 February 2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 13 February 2009, 12:27 AM
davers
Scooby Regular

when i bought my Jap import 97WRX in nov, its was doing the same thing, i could floor it through pretty much 1st 2nd and 3rd but then in 4th and 5th about 4.5k revs it would overboost and hit the fuel cut. But sometimes it would do it in 3rd.. but like i say mostly in 4th and 5th. Would do it if i floored it or crawled up to those revs..

See my thread when i had the issue

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...rick-wall.html

It was nothing to do with the fuel i was using, always ran it on V Power, wasnt the boost solenoid, wasnt too much oil from service, faulty actuator, anything..

in the end i fitted a boost gauge ran it up the road got into 4th and just floored it, and it was running 1.4bar at 3.5k revs.. so god only knows what it was gonna boost at full.

Simple resolution, turned the boost down to 1.1 and all was fine ever since, never done it since. Fit a boost gauge and check, you dont have to plumb it through your dash, just get a pipe with a T-Piece in stick it on the end of a boost gauge and feed it out the top if the bonnet and into the car, make sure theres no kinks in the pipe and take it up the road, whilst someone watches where it boosts to.

And then get ready to feel a difference in power, i did, like i say at 3.5k it was already .3bar over.. so it felt a little slow after in comparison, but then thats just an incentive to have work done and run big boost safely!
Old 13 February 2009, 09:39 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davers
when i bought my Jap import 97WRX in nov, its was doing the same thing, i could floor it through pretty much 1st 2nd and 3rd but then in 4th and 5th about 4.5k revs it would overboost and hit the fuel cut. But sometimes it would do it in 3rd.. but like i say mostly in 4th and 5th. Would do it if i floored it or crawled up to those revs..
Hardly the same problem, infact the oposite to what the OP is reporting! The OP reports a miss/hesitation in 1st, if he guns it through the gears then no problem
Old 13 February 2009, 12:21 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds more like coilpacks