Notices

boost creep

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2008, 11:05 PM
rob73
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost creep

could a slack or over tight actuator cause boost creep,i hit my 1.1bar then as the rpm climb higher the boost rises to around 1.2-1.25bar. Even if i back the boost of on my dawes it still creeps. it a wagon running a td05.
Old 06 November 2008, 01:45 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

...Sounds like the wastegate aperture may need a bit of porting.
Old 06 November 2008, 05:23 PM
chrisdrew83
Scooby Regular

I had a dawes on mine and had the same problem with the boost creeping up. ended up taking it off and going back to the standard boost solenoid then it was ok.
Old 06 November 2008, 08:53 PM
rob73
Scooby Regular

ah if i run off the 3-port solinoid the boost is way to high as im using a chip which doesnt seem to control the boost very well,thats why i use the dawes you see.
Old 07 November 2008, 12:02 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TD05 16G does not usually suffer from boost creep. If you can get a mini vac pump, attach it to the actuator and blow it up to ensure the wastegate lever is opening properly. It may be that the adjuster is set too tight. Once you have eliminated that try an alternative to the Dawes device if you are still getting creep. For instance a GBE valve which costs around £35. If you cover the postage I can loan you one providing you have done the first set of tests on the actuator arm.
Old 07 November 2008, 05:49 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you could have a punctured actuator, try connecting a piece of pipe to it and sucking.
If you can suck through it it is punctured, not uncommon.
Old 07 November 2008, 09:04 PM
rob73
Scooby Regular

i have fitted my old actuator which i knew was working fine or atleast wasnt doing anything to the boost delivery,i have adjusted it with about 2-3mm of pre-load before it tugs onto the wastegate arm. Is that about right? oh & it still creeps! strange i fitted this turbo about 6 weeks ago & it never used to creep,just wondering now if it has anything to do with the cooler outside temperatures?
Old 08 November 2008, 07:38 PM
sponners
Scooby Regular

as above, try the blow/suck test
Old 09 November 2008, 12:19 AM
rob73
Scooby Regular

had actuator tested today & its 100% ok. I did try another dawes on it & it seemed fine for a short while,so as usual im shelling more money out again on a decent electronic boost control & get rid of the dawes for something more reliable & see how it goes from there. Its proper getting me down this car lately as all i seem to do is empty my hard earned money onto it....but hey i suppose its better than spending £250 on crack.
Old 09 November 2008, 03:14 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

I can do you a Hybrid SBC-D-SE which is a stand alone boost controller and comes with its own 3 port boost solenoid valve. Qicker spool, good boost capture, very accurate and impressive control. Two boost settings, in cabin adjustment. £130.
If you are on a two port at present then an SBC-D-RX which is a dedicated Subaru controller for cars running two port boost controllers. Again it is closed loop and has good boost capture and control. Closed loop. In cabin adjustment. Also act as a fuel cut defender lifting the boost limit. All for less than the cost of an HKS FCD. £80.
Old 09 November 2008, 03:16 PM
sponners
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
I can do you a Hybrid SBC-D-SE which is a stand alone boost controller and comes with its own 3 port boost solenoid valve. Qicker spool, good boost capture, very accurate and impressive control. Two boost settings, in cabin adjustment. £130.
If you are on a two port at present then an SBC-D-RX which is a dedicated Subaru controller for cars running two port boost controllers. Again it is closed loop and has good boost capture and control. Closed loop. In cabin adjustment. Also act as a fuel cut defender lifting the boost limit. All for less than the cost of an HKS FCD. £80.
...regarding the SBC-D-RX acting as a FCD, isn't this just 'fooling' the ecu and cause the car to run lean?
Old 09 November 2008, 09:06 PM
rob73
Scooby Regular

i,m having the hybrid 3 port controller fitted on tuesday thanks Harvey for the same price. Glad to know im not paying over the odds.
My car runs rich anyway so im gonna have it set up on the rollers and see if 1.2 or 1.3bar is possible & safe.
Old 10 November 2008, 02:09 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Sponners : Can you explain why the car would be running lean?
Old 10 November 2008, 11:16 AM
rob73
Scooby Regular

this will be good lol pmpl!
Another blah blah blah about running more boost will cause the already rich scooby to run lean & will blow up in no time. When will people learn & stop talking crapoo about boost. Its getting set up on the dyno,and if its already rich then some more boost will do more good than harm.

Harvey,does the 3-port controller act as a fuel cut defender as well?
Old 11 November 2008, 12:31 AM
sponners
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
Sponners : Can you explain why the car would be running lean?
if it operates the same way as the fcd then it is telling the ecu there is less boost than the engine is actually seeing (hence being able to up the boost over the standard limit) so then the fuelling to what boost it 'thinks' its running and not the true boost pressure........therefore underfuelling.

I know these ecus run rich as standard but the fuel cut is there for a reason.

....I suppose your ok running a fcd (or similar) as long as you get the fuelling and det checked.

or am I wrong?

cheers
Old 11 November 2008, 12:46 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

If fitting an RX Hybrid boost controller which acts as an FCD at the same time or a stand alone Hybrid SE boost controller was likely to endanger engine integrity I simply wouldn't sell them because I don't want to cause anybody grief, needlessly.
Any boost controller I fit and any boost controller I sell I would like to think is fitted and set up with a degree of intelligence. Obviously on standard internals there is a limit to the amount of boost that it is generally safe to run. Both boost controllers come with full instructions but there is a reliance on the end user to act with a degree of intelligence and responsibility. Any boost controller I fit, then the car is checked out on an LM-1 or LM-2 and I can also listen for DET.
It is a complete misconception to think that you cannot safely increase boost and anybody that believes these cars will run lean with a modest boost increase lacks experience and has not been checking AFRs.

Rob : Because the SE is a stand alone unit you can basically set the boost to where you want it but obviously use your discretion. Depending on the model and year I set boost between 1.2 and 1.45 bar although I know others who go higher than this and those that I am specifically aware of have not suffered any mishap as yet.
Old 11 November 2008, 01:29 PM
sponners
Scooby Regular

ok, I wasn't saying that your selling something that is going to blow peoples engines?????.....I should have said leaner and not lean.

......so with and without this device is the ecu going to referance the exact same parts of the map for given load, rpm etc.?

will it cause it to run 'leaner' than before?
Old 11 November 2008, 10:25 PM
rob73
Scooby Regular

Harvey.i had a local garage wire my sbc-d se in and it appears hes wired it into the ecu loom near the 4 connecting plugs. Now i could understand this if it was the model designed to run the 2-port impreza version,but mine has the 3-port solinoid that came with the kit. So is it acceptable that hes fitted like this or has it been done wrong because looking at the instructions all i need is
green-earth
red-battery
blue-ignition

B+ on the diagram. whats that?
Old 12 November 2008, 11:21 PM
rob73
Scooby Regular

cant beleve i paid a so-called professional subaru garage to install this controller! its as simple as any other boost controller yet they filled my head with nonsense about lots of wires going to my ecu as they told me it acts as a fcd blah blah blah. The 3-port hdi sbc-d is not a fcd unlike the other version for the 2-port subarus which does tap into the ecu to take controll of boost & act as a fcd.
This dick wired the orange wire which is for operating a hdi boost guage or a solinoid for intercooler water spray,anyway he wired the orange up to pressure sensor power pin on my ecu & cut wastegate control wire then reconnected it with a bullet connector. So basicly ive been charged for a 2nd rate job,wronly fitted & my ecu wires butchered & i just hope there has been no damage caused as there is not a chance on this earth my car will ever be going to a garage again,that was the first & last time anyone other than me has done work on my car. This is a dorset firm so i suppose some of you locals will know where im on about. I aint happy & they will find that out in the morning.
Old 15 November 2008, 11:48 PM
rob73
Scooby Regular

Harvey, thanks foor the info fella
Old 16 November 2008, 07:40 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

My pleasure in assisting you.