No Boost! Sti V3 import 97model

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2008, 07:32 PM
Anth-Sti
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Boost! Sti V3 import 97model

Hi Guys

I have just recently bought a 97 sti v3 import... All has been fine until last night i lost all boost pressure. ive had a quick look today and checked all the usual vac pipes etc to check for any splits but all seems well! there is no smoke from the exhaust and before i lost boost the turbo was pulling fine. When driving the car i have no turbo spool whatsoever. The car has just had a brand new maf sensor fitted last month as ive read there a common fault on the imprezas. ive yet had time to check for any signs of play on the turbo shaft. I have also disconnected the battery for a few hours to try and reset the ecu but this stil did not rectify the lack of power i am getting! worst case scenario wat sort of price am i looking at for a new vf23 turbocharger?

any help is much appreciated Anth
Old 13 October 2008, 07:36 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Your wastegate might be stuck open. Remove the turbo heatsheild and check?
Old 13 October 2008, 07:41 PM
Anth-Sti
Scooby Newbie

Tested the wastegate at work mate with a vaccum tester and all seems well.. thanks for quick reply anyways

i forgot to mention in the above post do the imports have an OBD diagnostic plug? as ive got a snap on scanner and i was goin to check for any fault codes

cheers
Old 13 October 2008, 07:47 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Yes it does, plugs under the steering/dash.

This link should help:

ECU Diagnostics, Reset, Error Codes & Sensors Page

Chris Palmer's Home Page
Old 13 October 2008, 08:50 PM
Anth-Sti
Scooby Newbie

Anymore ideas lads? got me head boxed thinkin about it lol!!
Old 14 October 2008, 06:46 AM
Sc0oby
Scooby Regular

check you headers/up pipe for leak
Old 14 October 2008, 10:51 AM
superwagon
Scooby Newbie

i had the same prob turned out one of the boost hoses had just come away from were it was ment to be attached i dont think its anything serius mate
Old 14 October 2008, 07:59 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i had the same problem on my v3 type r. so driver side wing on the front of the suspension turrett theres a bracket with a cilindrical shaped thing with vac pipes coming off it ( dont know what it's called) but the vac pipe that goes on the bottom of it was off, now it looked like it was on and after closer inspection it was'nt ,shoved it back on and put a cable tie round it and hey presto turbo restored
Old 14 October 2008, 10:48 PM
Anth-Sti
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for all the replys guys!!

Right today i have done the following... i checked for any fault codes in system but none found.. re-set ecu. checked and cleaned boost solenoid and turbo control valve.. i checked resistance on boost solenoid and im gettin 20ohms which ive read is correct! had another spy over every vaccum pipe and no splits kinks etc found?? i think its time to whip front pipe off and check for play or to see damage on turbo shaft.. im pretty sure the turbo is shagged now as i cannit think of anythink else to cause the turbo not to spool or produce any kind of boost... worst case has anybody got a descent vf23 turbo for sale or has anybody had there turbo reconned from the likes of turbotechnics etc? what sort of price am i looking at for it recondition if its failed? thanks again lads!
Old 18 October 2008, 01:25 PM
Anth-Sti
Scooby Newbie

Pulled off front pipe at work today and found the turbo shaft to be seized solid . not a very good start as ive only had the car a week lol!! the only thing i can think of is possible oil starvation possibly by poor maintenance etc when car was in japan or a oil/water pipe union blocked... thanks for replys anyway