Too much oil???? Urgent..!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2008, 02:52 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much oil???? Urgent..!!

Hi folks,
topped up my engine oil there but as many of u know the imprezas are quite hard to get an accurate reading off the dipstick unless the engine is completely cold!!

The oil level was quite low so i topped up about half a litre....and now i have dipped the car when the engine is cold and the level is halfway between the full mark (top dot on the dipstick) and the small indent at the top of the dipstick!!

Will this be ok or could it do damage?? Ho much extra do yous reckon i would have in it if this is were its at on the dipstick?? Would i be better to drain some out through the sump bung??

Cheers

Last edited by RB5 Boyo; 21 June 2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 21 June 2008, 04:32 PM
WRXMATT
Scooby Regular

Sounds way too much, you're gonna have to drain some.

Just something i've noticed on mine, when checking the oil, pull the dipstick out then wipe it but leave it out for a couple of minutes before putting it back in (and then pulling it back out to check level). The reading you get is more defined as any oil that gets dragged up the dipstick tube drains back down.
Old 21 June 2008, 06:37 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXMATT
Sounds way too much, you're gonna have to drain some.

when checking the oil, pull the dipstick out then wipe it but leave it out for a couple of minutes before putting it back in (and then pulling it back out to check level). The reading you get is more defined as any oil that gets dragged up the dipstick tube drains back down.

Good tip there matey, theyre a b***er to get a good reading usually which is prob why i overfilled it. Checked it again there and the fill level is just up over the 'full mark dot' about a millimetre, would this be ok to leave it at this level as i dont wanna drain any out as i will prob drain too much through the sump bung!!??
Old 21 June 2008, 09:45 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Hi RB5 Boyo, I know it is going to be a pain but I would drain it out. Just undo the sump plug and let it dribble slowly, take your time and keep checking it. I overfilled mine and the result was a blown crank seal, I may have been unlucky, I have since been told its better to run a scoob slightly under Max on the dipstick just to be safe. Sorry, I'm sure this isn't the answer you wanted to hear, but seals are always expensive to replace.
Old 22 June 2008, 02:00 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Cheers, maybe drain a little out then just to be sure ....it will only take a minute or two anyway!!
Old 22 June 2008, 02:12 PM
widman
Scooby Newbie

Drain it out. Excess oil hits the crankshaft counterweights and beats it into foam. Foam does not flow, cavitates, and causes implosion of parts under pressure.

Richard's Corvair

Selection of the Right Motor oil for the Corvair and other Flat Tappet Engines
Old 22 June 2008, 06:25 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

I would say youve got about 300mill over not too much really,Ive done this a few times never had a problem but have heard of people getting oil in the boost solenoid and pipe work,If it bothers you drain it out.
Old 22 June 2008, 08:19 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Overfilling will result in gunged (excessive blow-by) up inlet pipe and IC, which ultimately will lower the effective octane rating of your fuel..!

IMO an accurate, stone cold reading of about halfway between min-max is ideal. Can be a PITA if your engine uses oil as you have less margin for error IYSWIM..? My engine doesn't use any oil between it's 5k services, so not too much of a worry.. Still check it every few weeks though..

The tip of removing stick, wiping and leaving out (or 6" or so out) then waiting ~10 mins before checking works very well. If you haven't got the time to wait, a short piece of hose that will fit inside/over dipstick tube enables you to blow any oil out of the bottom of the tube. I have a 20cm piece of 10mm hose, which fits perfectly, tucked beside the battery for such occasions..

FWIW, oil 'wicks' up the dipstick tube and stays there after the engine is shut off by the vacuum created by the dipstick..