Notices

Boost Controller Set up

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2008, 02:15 PM
Mark@SnM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost Controller Set up

Hi all, just fitted an electronic boost controller to my 95 WRX and i'm having problems with setting it up.

The boost controller is basically the same as the Blitz type S, it is made by Turbo Revs.

I have tried setting up so many different ways now that i've confused myself!
The thing that is confusing me the most is the 'Gain' settings, the 'Start' PSI level and there is also some sort of %age level.

I had it all set up on standard boost, 12.71PSI and tried to adjust the gain accordingly, think it was at 45 out of 100 at last attempt, and have the start PSI at 0 with the %age thing at 60.
When I hit boost the car is struggling, it's like an 'on/off' attempt of boost, it keeps trying to boost properly but then slightly drops off and repeats this until I either drop out of boost or use what boost I have.

A friend had a go at setting it up last night and it's a lot better but still does the same problem but not as noticeable or as often whereas before it happened everytime I hit boost.
To do this he has set the boost to 9.5PSI and the gain to 90 with the other settings the same.

I'm hellishly confused and the only other things I can think of are that this problem is 'Knock' related and that I need new spark plugs and possibly the ECU re-mapping via piggyback chip but i have been told that I shouldn't need a map to run an electronic boost controller!

This is all new to me and to add to the confusion, the cars boost gauge was reading 1.0 bar, (14.7PSI), before I added the boost controller.

So you know the full facts though, when fitting the boost controller we bypassed the wastegate control valve as we figured that with the car not being mapped that the wastegate timing would be as standard therefore hooking up the boost controller through it would be pointless.

Sorry for the essay but i'm really stuck!

Thanks, Mark

Last edited by Mark@SnM; 20 June 2008 at 02:16 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 20 June 2008, 04:06 PM
Mark@SnM
Scooby Regular

^BUMP^

Anybody???
Old 23 June 2008, 09:07 AM
Mark@SnM
Scooby Regular

Somebody please advise?

Basically, has anybody else fitted an Electronic Boost Controller to a 'classic' shape scooby and had any problems?

I've been told to disconnect it for the time being and then get my wastegate boared out and once thats done it should work fine.

Cheers, Mark
Old 23 June 2008, 12:22 PM
Austrian Impreza
Scooby Regular

Did you disconnect the stock boost solenoid? You only need to disconnect the cable, not the vacuumlines!
Old 23 June 2008, 02:13 PM
Mark@SnM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Austrian Impreza
Did you disconnect the stock boost solenoid? You only need to disconnect the cable, not the vacuumlines!
Thats probably it then mate. We just left it plugged in electric wise and took off the vacuum side as we thought the boost controller would sort that out.

Do I just T-piece both the vacuum's then?

Thanks
Old 30 June 2008, 02:55 PM
Mark@SnM
Scooby Regular

Right, a mate of mine sorted the boost controller issue out for me and all was well for a good few days but then the problem started again but not as drastic and not as often?

Could this be something silly like me needing new spark plugs? Any suggestions please?

Current settings are as follows:

Low

Start PSI: 0
%, (Think this to do with fuel duty): 64%
Boost level: 12.7 PSI
Overboost Warning Set To: 15.2 PSI before fuel cut at 15.65 PSI
Gain Set At: 45

High

Start PSI: 0
%, (Think this to do with fuel duty): 64%
Boost level: 14.7 PSI
Overboost Warning Set To: 15.2 PSI before fuel cut at 15.65 PSI
Gain Set At: 40

Any help greatly appreciated, it's the same prob, it's hitting boost then off then on etc.

Thanks peeps!
Old 30 June 2008, 04:53 PM
Mark@SnM
Scooby Regular

Nobody likes boost controller's then? LOL!
Old 30 June 2008, 05:26 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

HKS USA Are HKS Instruction Manuals available online?
That site may help you m8 but sounds like your hitting fuel cut due to your boost being too high,also leave your oem boost valve wired electrically and use the new boost controller plumbed in to your actuator and solenoid
Old 01 July 2008, 09:15 AM
Mark@SnM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by morpheous
HKS USA Are HKS Instruction Manuals available online?
That site may help you m8 but sounds like your hitting fuel cut due to your boost being too high,also leave your oem boost valve wired electrically and use the new boost controller plumbed in to your actuator and solenoid
Have done this and even on standard boost the car is still playing up. As stated, I also have the overboost warning set before fuel cut kicks in at 15.65 PSI. I'm wondering if it's an ignition problem, i.e. spark plugs. Or maybe the MAF doesn't like the readings with the induction kit and extra boost.

Thanks for the link though, i'll give it a try.

Mark