MAF code on ECU but think its lambda

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2008, 02:40 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resolved - MAF code on ECU but think its lambda

Hi,

I have an MY98 (phase 1.5) Turbo and on Sat i noticed that the air fuel meter kept sticking on full rich every now and again, even when fully backed off and on WOT. But then it would go back to normal.

So, i checked the fault codes and it says 23 (MAF) and 12 (Starter circuit). I'm confused and have ordered a genuine lambda for 140 quid (ouch) as i've had 2 universal ones now and the last one didn't last 9 months.

The car runs perfect except for heavier fuel consumption, no hesitation or anything. Anyone got any ideas/advice please? I've cleaned the MAF out with some carb cleaner and still the same, just cant figure out why the ecu has flagged the MAF, or the starter code for that matter....

Thanks
Nicky

Last edited by nickyrhodes; 03 June 2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 27 May 2008, 05:39 PM
RB5Caterham
Scooby Regular

Have you done an ECU reset mate? Would think it would be a good idea to do this first as those might be error codes stored from the past.

Once you've done it you'll know for sure.

Sorry if you have done that already.

Not sure if cleaning the MAF with carb cleaner is a good idea, I thought you're supposed to use Electrical Cleaner?

I guess a new MAF on your MY is one of those expensive ones.
Old 27 May 2008, 06:39 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I haven't done a reset yet no, i plan to do it when i fit the lambda. I'm pretty certain its the lambda as when i rolled up the drive tonight and turned the ignition off, the lambda readout stayed at full rich, it normally just goes off completely.

Thanks for the advice though
Old 27 May 2008, 07:32 PM
sy.
Scooby Regular

not 100% accurate but as a base rule if it runs lean maf if it runs rich lambda if seeing a 23 error code
Old 02 June 2008, 10:06 AM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Ok guys, back to square one.....

Had a full service this weekend including new plugs gapped to 0.7 and put a new lambda on, still hasnt cured the problems. Reset the ecu to clear the maf code, and so far theres no new codes.

Give it a bit of a kicking last night and got 4 lights on the knocklink 2 green and 2 amber. This happened a few times around 6k rpm so something is definately wrong somewhere. I filled the car up with vpower and its running 1.1 - 1.2 bar.

I've also noticed that the fuel pump sometimes gurgles when priming, this has started happening in the last few months, also yesterday it sounded like a high pitched hiss on priming.

Also i noticed when it was cold this morning, on light load up a hill it was sort of pulsating on and off power, i saw on the forums that this may be the ecu coolant sensor causing this?

Just need to cure this det asap, but cant afford to just throw money at it as just forked out 450 for the brakes and 140 for lambda.

Please help!!

Thanks
Nicky

Last edited by nickyrhodes; 02 June 2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02 June 2008, 01:29 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Just took it out at lunchtime, hoofed it in 1st and was fine, into 2nd on sliproad and 3-4 amber lights spiked but AFR was bolted in rich so doesn't point to starvation, shame i dont have a wideband....

Could incorrectly gapped plugs (PFR7's) or a batch batch of vpower cause this? I was positive the mechanic gapped them to 0.7.....
Old 02 June 2008, 02:33 PM
RB5Caterham
Scooby Regular

Has it got an uprated fuel pump? They do tend to hiss, I have Walbro 255 on mine and it does that.

The gurgle doesnt sound right?

Yes I've read somewhere about the Coolant Sensor causing cold start problems.

Trending Topics

Old 02 June 2008, 03:45 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Hi,

No its the standard pump, done 60k miles. I have a walboro ready to fit but was put off when i read you should put an uprated regulator on which is a chunk of extra cash.

Nothing i can do to check the fuel except burn it all up and fill it back up. Having the fuel pickup filter checked tomorrow and going to have the walboro fitted, if this cures the problem i'll have to order a regulator, if not its either plugs, maf or fuel.

I'm at a bit of a loss!
Thanks
Old 03 June 2008, 09:01 AM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Bump....

No more ideas anyone? Its getting the walbro fitted today to see if that helps.
Old 03 June 2008, 04:26 PM
nickyrhodes
Scooby Regular

Good news...... its fixed!!!

The problem was that i'd put Shell Helix Ultra 5-40 in for the service. The lambda was a red herring, it was actually the guage that was broke.

The activity on the K(n)ocklink was caused by the oil being too thin and making the piston slap much worse, got some 10-40 magnatec in now and its running sweeter than ever.....

I wont be putting that in the car ever again, hope i aint done any lasting damage.....