Notices

Where can i plumb my oil temp and pressure gauges to

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2008, 10:31 PM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Where can i plumb my oil temp and pressure gauges to

Hedlp plz guys, i have got round to fitting my gauge pod and plumbed up my boost gauge ( although it doesnt seem to working properly) but havent tacked the oil gauges yet as they seem a bit more hassle.

Wheres the best (and easiest) place to fit the gauge plugs too. Note, they are all mechanical gauges (I know before you say it - cheepskate! )

Can someone post up some pics to demonstarte if possible. By the way its a 2.5ltr block. View my scoob for full spec if it helps.

I spose i may as well ask also why my boost gauge isnt working properly. It doesnt register any negative boost at all, and my tuner said that the car was running around 1.5bar on full boost but the highest ive seen it is around 1.1 - 1.2 although it flickers like crazy when its at that level.

Thanks in advance.
Old 16 May 2008, 12:24 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Best searching for 'oil temp/pressure senders', it'll return everything you need.

Where have you connected boost gauge to..?

You do realise that mechanical (capillary gauges) require HOT oil, PRESSURISED at ~6bar, to be plumbed into the back of the gauge (ie inside the cabin)..?!!

Hope they don't spring a leak..
Old 16 May 2008, 06:57 AM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

The oil temp sender goes in the block, there is a small unit that attached to the top of the send er then its only wires to the gauge in the cockpit. They dont come with any pipework to enable oil to be transferred into the cockpit??
Old 16 May 2008, 06:59 AM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

I have connected the boost gauge to the vacume pipe coming from the boost solnoid as instructed on a post i found on the formus? The only issue i found was that i couldnt get it as close to the solnoid as the instructions stated as it is physicaly too tight in my bay.
Old 16 May 2008, 10:54 AM
meganecoupe
Scooby Newbie

for boost i tee'd into the top of the dump valve
Old 16 May 2008, 02:48 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by h4rry
The oil temp sender goes in the block, there is a small unit that attached to the top of the send er then its only wires to the gauge in the cockpit. They dont come with any pipework to enable oil to be transferred into the cockpit??
Ah, they're not mechanical gauges then.. What you have is a sender screwed into the block, which converts the pressure into an electrical signal for the gauge..

If you've fitted the boost gauge to the boost solenoid (near drivers side suspension turret) the that's not the correct place. It should be tee'd off the small ~8mm hose coming off the dump valve (front r/h side of the intercooler presuming you have a top mount)..
Old 16 May 2008, 04:15 PM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

No top mount mate, view my scoob for pic. As you look at that pic it is tee'd into a small hose behind the blue silicone hose holding the air filter on. This hose comes from a gold coloured circuar unit that i assumed was the boots solnoid???
Old 19 May 2008, 10:34 PM
h4rry
Scooby Regular

Any more advice on where to plumb oil gauges into please and how to do it?? Thanks
Old 20 May 2008, 11:07 PM
Bealescooby
Scooby Regular

Oil pressure gauge is put under the alternator if u look u will see the ej20 stamp on lump look a lttle over and u will see the original preesure switch remove this and add t piece and sender unit ( pending onsender unit u may need a braided hose )
Temperature snder is a little more difficult 2 explain and requires pics i will tryget some up