Notices

backfire

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2008, 07:29 PM
gareth142185
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default backfire

how can u make ur car backfire more i love the sound it makes when it does it but it is very rare it does?
Old 22 March 2008, 08:37 PM
gareth142185
Scooby Regular

any1???????
Old 22 March 2008, 08:42 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

You really need to decat to make it do it loads, then the map can be altered to chuck extra fuel in on over-run to really make it silly, often referred to as a 'pops & bangs map'. Of course, it's not good for the car, potentially causing cat damage if you have them, and the sudden if brief negative gas flow can disrupt valve motion. Fuel economy also suffers, and most importantly, you look a complete **** to everyone except impressionable teenage boy, and if you want to impress them you should be locked up.
Old 22 March 2008, 09:50 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

remap with antilag will get you pops.
but as said above you need a full decat.
some people like the pops and bangs, personally i love it and am saving up for remap with antilag.
dont really get corradoboys comment. so everyone who's car pops is a ****?
Old 22 March 2008, 09:53 PM
tow13
Scooby Regular

try a Bee R rev limiter u will also spit flames
Old 22 March 2008, 09:58 PM
gareth142185
Scooby Regular

wat is a bee r rev limiter?
Old 22 March 2008, 10:07 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaveBeck
dont really get corradoboys comment. so everyone who's car pops is a ****?
If it does it occasionally without any deliberate altering of the normal operation of the car then no problem, but there is no performance justification whatsoever for interfering with the good running of the car to make it create a silly noise which can be mechanically damaging and is socially inconsiderate. It really is futile and puerile, but boys and their toys I suppose. Maybe I'm getting old
Old 22 March 2008, 10:14 PM
tow13
Scooby Regular

try youtube bee r
Old 22 March 2008, 10:19 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

Originally Posted by corradoboy
If it does it occasionally without any deliberate altering of the normal operation of the car then no problem, but there is no performance justification whatsoever for interfering with the good running of the car to make it create a silly noise which can be mechanically damaging and is socially inconsiderate. It really is futile and puerile, but boys and their toys I suppose. Maybe I'm getting old

wont lie havent heard of one car thats been damaged from pops and bangs map. mine isnt tuned for it but when i see a scoob do it i love the sound but i guess after few months that wears off. thats why antilag for me. switchable.

never to old
Old 22 March 2008, 10:35 PM
m5pra
Scooby Regular

Mines got a full de-cat and has been re-mapped to pop and bang a bit,iv bin told it cant do any damage by scoobyclinic and it does sound good sometimes like when i let off and it pops about 5-6times in a row.It sometimes lets off big 1s when your not expecting it thou and folk look at ya like its about to blow up and it can make ya feel a bit daft.folk that dont know just think its buggered.
Old 24 March 2008, 12:39 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

You really need to decat to make it do it loads, then the map can be altered to chuck extra fuel in on over-run to really make it silly, often referred to as a 'pops & bangs map'. Of course, it's not good for the car, potentially causing cat damage if you have them, and the sudden if brief negative gas flow can disrupt valve motion. Fuel economy also suffers, and most importantly, you look a complete **** to everyone except impressionable teenage boy, and if you want to impress them you should be locked up.
this sounds like something from fantasy land. I've been running pop's and bang's, aka over fueling on the over run for about 3 years now, with no detramental mechanical effects whatsoever.

yes it does reduce MPG, cos your dumping extra fuel into the engine, how ever it has no effects on valves at all.

The poping and banging is extra 'unburnt fuel' igniting in the exhaust, the valves close with fractions of a second, and the pop and bang happens after the fuel has flowed the full length of the exhaust, which takes alot longer, also following the extra fuel mixture there is still positive pressure in the system prevent blow back as you could call it.

what does affect full blown anti lag, the difference being when and how the fuel flows, when it flows and the quantities that are pumped through the system.
Old 24 March 2008, 01:04 AM
Dr B
Scooby Regular

I have the popping at low rpm , and am trying to get rid of it . Its only at low speed deceleration 3000rpm , with acceleration no popping . I am using PE 800cc injectors . I do not run antilag with ecutek. car idles fine at AFR 14.7, no sign of running rich , but i do have a catless DP and free flow exhaust and blitz BOV . Any suggestions ?I fine it embarassing .
Old 24 March 2008, 01:06 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

You have 16 valves, 8 of which are for exhaust, 4 of which will open with each revolution of the engine, so at 6000rpm that's 50x per second where negative pressure could affect things. With such extreme forces at work in a rather expensive engine, I'd rather not risk the normal operation for the sake of a silly noise. In dragsters, a backfire can result in total destruction on the engine. Granted, they are running to ridiculous levels of tuning, but Scoob engines seem to go bang with frightening regularity. Places like API make a living out of it. Many EJ20's are running beyond their safe limits with peoples DIY mods, so why introduce more potential for failure if there is no commonsense reason for it ? Backfiring used to be undesirable, and if it happened people used to get their car inspected

Each to their own though, if you want everyone except 12yo boys to think you're a ****, go for it !
Old 24 March 2008, 01:26 AM
NUTTYNICK
Scooby Regular

Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't a backfire slightly different to an exhaust popping and banging through unburnt fuel?

I always thought the term 'backfire' was always misunderstood and should really relate to fuel igniting and forcing it's way back through the induction?
Similar to something the old dellortos and webbers might suffer with.

Either way, I'm not too sure what all the hostillity is about. If people want a car to pop and bang then so be it. How does it effect you if it does. Don't tell me it ruins the environment.
Old 24 March 2008, 01:36 PM
N602 WRX
Scooby Regular

Nuttynick is right, the term back fire relates to fuel being burnt in the inlet manifold usually caused by lean running.
Exhaust pops usually relate to over fueling and un-burnt fuel vapour igniting in the exhaust and its called "afterfire" not "backfire"
Old 24 March 2008, 01:48 PM
sarnyboy
Scooby Regular

You have 16 valves, 8 of which are for exhaust, 4 of which will open with each revolution of the engine, so at 6000rpm that's 50x per second where negative pressure could affect things. With such extreme forces at work in a rather expensive engine, I'd rather not risk the normal operation for the sake of a silly noise. In dragsters, a backfire can result in total destruction on the engine. Granted, they are running to ridiculous levels of tuning, but Scoob engines seem to go bang with frightening regularity. Places like API make a living out of it. Many EJ20's are running beyond their safe limits with peoples DIY mods, so why introduce more potential for failure if there is no commonsense reason for it ? Backfiring used to be undesirable, and if it happened people used to get their car inspected

Each to their own though, if you want everyone except 12yo boys to think you're a ****, go for it !

i think you've got a 'thing' about 12 year old boys.. your the only one who knows how to 'impress' them... worrying....