Notices

up grades

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2008, 06:28 PM
le bomb new age
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default up grades

hi all,am looking for some advice on up grading my wrx o2 engine! not wanting to spend loads around £650 whats the first thing i should buy??
Old 18 March 2008, 06:51 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

Downpipe and stainless system. Then a good panel filter.
Old 18 March 2008, 06:59 PM
le bomb new age
Scooby Regular

i have a prodrive exhaust system on but i am on the look out for a bigger 1 cos it isn't load enough rumble
Old 18 March 2008, 07:11 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

If you have a Prodrive exhaust already, why not have a remap instead? The increase in performance would be a lot bigger! If you really want a louder exhaust and there's nothing wrong with that, do a search as this question pops up quite a lot. As above regarding the filter etc as the car needs to breath to get the best from a re map.
Old 18 March 2008, 07:19 PM
le bomb new age
Scooby Regular

thanks alot i was thinking that am in scotland an i heard andy f is the best for the remap!as for the filter what is the best 1 to get?
Old 18 March 2008, 07:20 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

Agree with above, you'll get a remap with that sort of cash and the difference will be huge. You'll also need a bigger fuel pump.
A green panal filter is best
Depending what mileage is on the car,and if its never had a replacement, you might need a clutch soon after the remap. My mate and I got ours remapped in the same month and both the clutches lasted 7 weeks.

You could have it mapped so the power comes in gradually therefore being kinder to your clutch but I just went for the "as much as possible straight away" approach.

Andy F done both our cars and he did a great job. I'll definately be going back to him

Last edited by weeebell; 18 March 2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 18 March 2008, 07:24 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

As above had mine mapped by Bob R (Swindon) 281bhp 312lb/ft a massive improvement on the standard UK MY99. Andy F is one of the 'greats' so you want go wrong with that choice, give him a ring or PM him on here.
Old 18 March 2008, 07:26 PM
le bomb new age
Scooby Regular

i was looking for a vortex system do u think that would help as well as a remap and filter?what could i push the engine to safely without blowing it up as i have heard that the uk cars r not as strong as imports i would like my car to be at around 300bhp could i get that??
Old 18 March 2008, 07:35 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

A remap will take you to around 280bhp and similar torque.
You engine internals are good for 400bhp and gearbox 350 so your well within the limits of your car.

AndyForrestPerformance

This should give you a good idea of what youll get and also what youll need for the future!!

Last edited by weeebell; 18 March 2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 18 March 2008, 07:51 PM
le bomb new age
Scooby Regular

thanks alot thats all i needed i can see my account go to the red!!!!haha
Old 18 March 2008, 10:11 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by weeebell
Agree with above, you'll get a remap with that sort of cash and the difference will be huge. You'll also need a bigger fuel pump.
A green panal filter is best
Depending what mileage is on the car,and if its never had a replacement, you might need a clutch soon after the remap. My mate and I got ours remapped in the same month and both the clutches lasted 7 weeks.

You could have it mapped so the power comes in gradually therefore being kinder to your clutch but I just went for the "as much as possible straight away" approach.

Andy F done both our cars and he did a great job. I'll definately be going back to him
Not sure you'll need a bigger pump if you're only running an exhaust and upgraded filter, and your clutch really shouldn't give up. My 01 wrx is running a cat back miltek and green panel filter and made 250 on the rollers. I'd be suprised if you make 300 but 280 should be achievable on a full system without a dangerous remap. Good luck with it.
Old 18 March 2008, 10:20 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

My mates bugeye has 280bhp and 300lbs torque. It hits 1bar of boost at 2300revs so is quite sore on the clutch. Thats probably why it went but as I said, you could have it mapped to come in later or less severe and an uprated Walbro is recommended for a remap.
Old 19 March 2008, 11:38 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by weeebell
My mates bugeye has 280bhp and 300lbs torque. It hits 1bar of boost at 2300revs so is quite sore on the clutch. Thats probably why it went but as I said, you could have it mapped to come in later or less severe and an uprated Walbro is recommended for a remap.
Agreed - if it's a very aggressive map it might have some nasty side effects like frying your clutch, but I'm surprised you are saying the uprated pump is needed? - I didn't think you needed the pump until you got to around 300bhp or upgraded your turbo & injectors? I'm basing what I'm saying on about 3 guides I've read and various bits and bobs I've read on here - the PPP also doesn't include an uprated fuel pump does it, but I thought STI's with the PPP made around 290-300bhp?

Please correct me if I'm wrong - I'm interested to learn what everyone else has experienced with mods like this as I'll be going down this route shortly - I'm looking to eventually add a Milltek sports cat once I get some new springs, rear ARB and geometry sorted.
Old 19 March 2008, 11:52 AM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

AndyF advises you use a Walbro 255 even for 260/280bhp, and I'm not arguing with him!

I think its more for safety. Theres nothing worse than an underfuelling Impreza.

I'm running a Walbro and Fuelab adjustable fuel pressure regulator to get 320bhp on my classic, on his advice

STi's will have differend head and cams than a WRX so will make more power anyway.

Last edited by weeebell; 19 March 2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 19 March 2008, 04:03 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I'd say to do this instead:

* Decat up-pipe (this gets rid of the up-pipe cat which *can* break up and send bits flying into your turbo (= new turbo)). About 50'ish should get you a 2nd hand one.
* Decat downpipe + rear cat pipe. From 100'ish used, I would have thought.
* Ecutek remap

Will set you back a bit more than 650, but just a remap on the standard exhaust system would be a waste IMO (well, it wouldn't, but you can get so much more with a proper system (a decat will be louder too)) )
Old 19 March 2008, 09:13 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Henrik
I'd say to do this instead:

* Decat up-pipe (this gets rid of the up-pipe cat which *can* break up and send bits flying into your turbo (= new turbo)). About 50'ish should get you a 2nd hand one.
* Decat downpipe + rear cat pipe. From 100'ish used, I would have thought.
* Ecutek remap

Will set you back a bit more than 650, but just a remap on the standard exhaust system would be a waste IMO (well, it wouldn't, but you can get so much more with a proper system (a decat will be louder too)) )
Doesn't that also = MOT failure?
Just out of interest, can anyone tell me what the deal is with the 100 cell sports cat pipes you can buy , e.g. the Ninja one Scoobyworld offer, or the one Milltek offer - does that one pipe replace both the existing cats, or does it just replace the up pipe one? Not very knowledgeable about those bits and have been wondering what I need to do next...
Old 19 March 2008, 09:31 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
Doesn't that also = MOT failure?
Just out of interest, can anyone tell me what the deal is with the 100 cell sports cat pipes you can buy , e.g. the Ninja one Scoobyworld offer, or the one Milltek offer - does that one pipe replace both the existing cats, or does it just replace the up pipe one? Not very knowledgeable about those bits and have been wondering what I need to do next...
Yep, it would fail the MOT on emmissions. Le Bomb would have to either replace the downpipe before the MOT (it will pass with no centre cat and no up-pipe cat) or fit a sports cat. At his proposed power level a sports cat might be a good idea, but it brings the cost up even further from his 650 budget

The sports cat ones generally replace the downpipe cat. I.e. you're buying a "downpipe with a sports cat".

The STI PPP comes with a subaru sports cat which I believe is quite good also (I've certainly seen cars push past 350bhp on them), so it might be an alternative. These are usually available on ebay or on here for about 200 quid (used, of course).
Old 20 March 2008, 01:21 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

second hand unresonated decat centre section = not much money
Walbro pump for a bit more safety abut £80
Green filter or sti filter
Remap

should be very close to £650 for that lot.

Also 300bhp would be pushing it I think on a td04 turbo,

The mods I have said there will give you a better sound (still not too loud) will remove a restriction in your exhaust (1 cat), probably get close ish to about 280bhp safely.

Alternatively, you could go for a sports downpipe, and 2nd hand backbox along with a filter and that will give you a little extra and would come well under budget if you shop wisely. You could use the rest of the cash then to get some handling mods which will make the car faster in the twisty stuff