Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pros/Cons of buying a listed building...

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2001, 02:56 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grade II is not quite so historically important as Grade I or I*, but I think you still have to get permission before doing any structural mods or anything that will alter the look of the building.

English Heritage might be able to help, and their site www.imagesofengland.org.uk might be of interest - it is a project they are undertaking to photograph every listed building in England.

BTW when BT decided to replace their red phone boxes, hundreds of them got listed to stop them from being removed. It's not a phone box you're buying is it?

Editted cos I missed half the web address. Doh

[Edited by SWRTWannabe - 11/6/2001 2:58:00 PM]
Old 06 November 2001, 11:42 AM
bigmac
Scooby Regular

Question

Seen a property, but it is grade II listed building, anyone here own/owned one?

Any tips (subsidies you can get from the council for repairs, do's and don'ts, that sort of thing).

thanks in advance, Mark.
Old 06 November 2001, 03:09 PM
Robyn
Scooby Regular

Grade II means you cant bugger around with the outside, may not let you change windows to a different style, put up a fench around etc etc.

Old 06 November 2001, 05:31 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Grade II (as opposed to II*) is a lottery based upon how officious (or otherwise) your local council are.

First of all - don't bank on getting amuch in the way of grants to do any work, you are far more likely to get an enforcement notice requiring you to do it their way.

Secondly, go and see the council before buying the property and check their attitude. My old man lived in the next council area, and his expeience was completely different to mine. I got a small grant (10%) for some essential work, but was completely stymied on getting any planning permission to change anything either inside or outside of the house. The old man decided to remove the paint from the front of the house (to return to stone and natural wood), and was served a court order to stop him. However, my next door neighbor ignored the rules, replaced the doors and windows with UPVC and despite it being pointed out to the council nothing was done.

My personal opinion? Don't buy it unless you are happy with it as it is, otherwise walk away.

Duncan
Old 07 November 2001, 09:08 AM
bigmac
Scooby Regular

thanks to you all for your feedback.

Having dabbled with the the self-build idea, my experience of local councils is not good. I will definately get their view on this building if I plan to take if further.

Early days yet, have only seen agents brochure on property, plan to see it later this week.

cheers, Mark.