Gearbox won't pull off Engine

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2008, 07:06 PM
shknapps
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox won't pull off Engine

Hi all can anybody help?
I am half way through changing my bugeye 5speed 2001 clucth i am using one of the down load manuals and have followed it completely. only trouble is the gearbox won't seem to pull away from the engine. I have remove six bolts and two nuts from the bell housing. I can see what look like two dowels. I have soaked them in penetrating oil but still no joy. I am at the stage in the manual off sliding the gearbox off on a gearbox jack. But i'm on axel stands and am using a trolley jack. I have never done a scobby before but other cars it seems still bolted on to me but where! Have try a light prise betwwen gearbox and engine but so stiff am worried about breaking somthing Any help gratefully received.

One other thing whilst i'm at it, i am changing my offside inner cv boot can't see how the inner joint is held on do i have to remove the hub side and slide the inner boot over that way?

Old 16 February 2008, 07:27 PM
matty g
Scooby Newbie

have you removed clutch pin under 10mm allen bolt from where starter sits if you have then you just need to give it a whack with a chisel where the starter sit between engine and box. if you also tap roll pin out of inner shaft once off mounts you can ease inner joint off box. then you can remove inner boot, slide inner casing off. then remove circlip holding inner joint. make sure the three round rollers on the inner shaft dont fall off. real pain trying to get needle rollers back in. hope this is of help. matty
Old 16 February 2008, 07:39 PM
shknapps
Scooby Regular

Hi matty thanks for reply.
YES i have removed shaft under 10mm hex plug, is there nothing eles i can do? Bit worried about hitting it with a chisel as seems stuck fast!!
As for drive shaft it is in the vice in my garage i was just wondering if i had to take the outer cv joint off and slide on the new inner boot on that way as i cant see how the inner cv joint comes off!
Old 16 February 2008, 08:37 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Check you have all the bolts out and all the other bits and then get a sharp chisel and hammer it in the joint, if the box has never been off they can be very tight. Just clean up the burrs once the box is off. Mine was very tight and needed a good chiseling to get it apart.
Old 16 February 2008, 08:56 PM
matty g
Scooby Newbie

if the shaft is in the vice go for the outer you can clean and re greese at the same time.
prevention is always better than cure
matty
Old 16 February 2008, 08:57 PM
Phildodd06
Scooby Regular

There should be a big circlip holding the cv joint together, so i am told.
Its around the outer edge of the joint, remove the boot and have a look.
Old 16 February 2008, 10:17 PM
gavimpreza9
Scooby Regular

if your still struggling get a punch and hammer the 2 dowels from the bell housing side cos thats wot they get stuck on. should come off then
Old 16 February 2008, 11:05 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeh i had to take a chisel to mine as well

just wait til its time to put the gearbox back on that can be fun also

good luck

s
Old 16 February 2008, 11:25 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine off in the end by basically wedging a few screwdrivers in the gap, not one big wedge, but a few small ones..... cost me a few screwdrivers, but hey, it got the box off..... once it's off, clean up the burrs, and make sure the dowels are very clean and slightly greased when you refit them!!