Advise on engine spec for 450bhp

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2007, 02:36 PM
bobert
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise on engine spec for 450bhp

Hi guys

A friend of mine owns a 2002 UK Subaru impreza wrx bug eye, the car has done 60000 miles and the turbo has blown.
Rather than fitting a new turbo has decided he wants to go all out and have around 450 bhp, so this is were I get involved.
I have had a look on the net and I have spoke to a few people about what is involved but I want to know what you guys run and what works well together.
We are using the standard 2ltr block and heads and the plan is to up rate the following.

This is a list of the components that he is going to buy

Forge pistons ?
Forge con rods ?
Steel head gaskets ?
Exhaust manifold lateral performance
Bigger injectors 700cc injectors
Bigger turbo Garrett GT30
Version 9 crank
Adjustable FPR ?
Bigger main bearings ?
Gas flowed heads ?
Up rated oil pump ?

I have question marked the items that I want your advise with.
What makes should I go for?
What works well together?
Is it worthwhile to get the parts from overseas?

Please amend this list or advise me on other items to buy.

Cheers guys

rob
Old 18 October 2007, 03:05 PM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Pennine Subaru

Give this guy a call he will tell you need, he has just built my mates STI engine. He has a 450 BHP demo car using a 2.5 block. What he does not know is not worth knowing. Anyone who plays with jet engines in his spare time is going to be a clever chap IMO.
Old 18 October 2007, 03:59 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

chy is a quite well known in subaru circles,heard a lot of good things about him and his work
Old 19 October 2007, 09:49 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

I hope bobert is going to respond after I gave him my 2000 nth post

He seems very clever, I had a good natter to him about all things techincal and he seems to know his stuff.

Last edited by T5OLF; 19 October 2007 at 10:26 AM.
Old 19 October 2007, 10:00 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

add brakes to the list as well.

Maybe speak with Mark @ Lateral about specs etc and he can probably sort you out a good price on the bits

T5OLF, congrats on your 2000th post

Old 19 October 2007, 10:45 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Cheers

Yep people always forget about the important stuff like stopping and going around corners.

I would not be buying any parts from overs seas, what if it fails? You want to find a reputable well known engine builder/tuner in the UK who can supply all the parts you need and has used these parts himself and has had good results using "x, y and z"

You can end up wasting money buying parts that are not needed or are not matched to the other parts you have bought.

Shop around, talk to lots of tuners and take your time over buying parts, lots of people just want your money and are not really interested in the end result as long as they make some coin out of you.
Old 19 October 2007, 11:24 AM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T5OLF
Cheers

Yep people always forget about the important stuff like stopping and going around corners.

I would not be buying any parts from overs seas, what if it fails? You want to find a reputable well known engine builder/tuner in the UK who can supply all the parts you need and has used these parts himself and has had good results using "x, y and z"

You can end up wasting money buying parts that are not needed or are not matched to the other parts you have bought.

Shop around, talk to lots of tuners and take your time over buying parts, lots of people just want your money and are not really interested in the end result as long as they make some coin out of you.
I understand the 'dont buy overseas' argument, if it goes wrong its going to cost you a lot to fix it, but take the cosworth engine that powerstation sell for £3949 incl VAT and the cosworth heads they sell for £2961 incl VAT making a total of £6910.
With the current $ rate at 2.05 you could buy the exact same here for $4813:
Cosworth Performance &#34Crate&#34 Subaru STI EJ25 Engine Titan Mail Order

add the heads for $3546
Subaru EJ25 Cosworth Cylinder Heads Titan Mail Order

and then add $500 for airmail.
Total: $8859 = £4322. Now add your import duty and VAT to get £5586 cleared of customs and you saved £1324 on the powerstation price. Wou'd have to wait a couple of weeks for delivery but if anything was wrong you have a budget of £1324 to send it back to the states for them to fix, if nothing does go wrong then you saved £1324!

The axis short blocks represent even better value, you can get a built 2.5 with new pistons for $2500 or with rods/pistons/crank for $4200.
Old 19 October 2007, 01:40 PM
SSCJAY
Scooby Regular

I Would get a 2.5 Built in America and shipped over, If you go to one of the reputable builders (Axis, Rallispec) you are very unlikely to have any problems, and you will have a fully built 2.5 Capable of handling 500-550bhp for around £2000 - £2500.
(I recently purchased a Stage 2 block from RalliSpec Ltd. for $3400 which is now in a 500bhp STI8)
They can supply steel head gaskets (cometic) and ARP studs etc.

Then add.

Good FMIC (Perrin, APS)
Turbo, FP Green, MD321T, SC450
(Again if you want to save money, FP green straight from America)
Injectors 650cc sards(with adjustable fpr) or bigger.(Apexi, Blitz, HKS, Nismo, Greddy and other JDM Parts direct from Japan - Nengun Performance)
Headers, Lateral, RCMS etc
Larger turbo intake, Perrin, Samco
Oil pumps are not uprated, they are just modified, (pressure release valve) so if your pump is new you will not have any problems.

Everyone will have there own opinions based on who they use, but this is my 2 pence worth.