Check Engine Light Flickers

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2007, 02:28 PM
Klasagasa
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light Flickers

Hello again lads.
This time I have a question for you once again about the Apexi and more specified the knock sensor.
I have gotten a couple of ideas on my problem but I thought Id try it here aswell if any of you recognises this?
I will post a thread I started at another forum on the net, but I really want another opinion and to get abit of a faster answer.
I have done searches but I didnt think anything matched, but anyway.
I have also planned a remap of the car. I am currently not driving her because I want to know what the problem is.
Anyway here it is...

My problem is as follows.
The car is a TypeR V6 -99 with the Apexi ECU and knock sensor. It was mapped in 2006 and since then nothing has been done with the engine. I have driven the car normaly with the odd heavy accelerations during driving. This has been done both in hot and cooler temeratures.
The problem is that recently the Check Engine light flickered in front of me as if to warn me about the engine knocking. But the thing is, nothing has been done with it and I wasnt accelerating that hard. It happened in fourth gear and I saw it three more times before I parked the car in the garage until I can solve the problem. I wont risk anything. It runs 1.35 bar boost and my hand commander is locked or something because all I see is the Apexi logo so that aint helping much. If I can compare the serial numbers on the internet for the different parts such as the ECU and the hand commander to see if they are to the same, please let me know.
It happened in forth gear every time, the petrol used is the same as when it was mapped - 99 octane.
We also tried to put in some octane booster which boosted up to 102 octane and the warning lights came on anyway during heavy acceleration in fourth gear.
If I have forgotten anything that needs knowing to help me solve the problem, please reply or send me a PM!
I would greatly appreciate any help from you lads!

Hope anyone of you can help me? The Apexi for Imprezas are not that common in Sweden but I know it is frequently used in GB.
Also, I have heard that it might be the O2 sensor or that the IC wont get enough cooling, but if that is the case, how come it hasnt reacted during the hot days this summer???

In need of assistance!

Regards, Klas.
Old 08 October 2007, 06:48 PM
Klasagasa
Scooby Newbie

Anyone?
I would greatly appreciate any help at all!

//Klas
Old 09 October 2007, 05:18 PM
DaveR5gtt
Scooby Regular

Sounds like your charge temp, myne flicks on in 5th under hard accelaration. When this happens i was just told to ease off, In other words don't keep nailing it. Check with the person who mapped it tho to be sure.

Steve.
Old 09 October 2007, 06:06 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

The Apexi will flash the cell light for more than just knock,depends who mapped the car,but it can also be set up to flash if say the injectors max out,so could be a sensor thats out of its set range thats causing the problem..... without the commander working its going to be very hard to etermine the fault as you cannot access the data.... as suggested contact the guy who mapped the car,but at the moment you need a laptop plugged into the ecu to verify the fault.
Old 09 October 2007, 06:38 PM
Klasagasa
Scooby Newbie

Ok. So in other words the ECU stores the information and that can be withdrawn as a fault code?
Thank you for replying!
I will check it out and if anyone has any more info please let me know!

Regards, Klas
Old 09 October 2007, 08:06 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

No...... you need a laptop connected to the ecu and then drive the car so the mapper can see the problem.... as far as im aware there is no option like the standard ecu to log faults with the apexi.......
Old 09 October 2007, 08:25 PM
Klasagasa
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by DaveR5gtt
Sounds like your charge temp, myne flicks on in 5th under hard accelaration. When this happens i was just told to ease off, In other words don't keep nailing it. Check with the person who mapped it tho to be sure.

Steve.
Would you mind explaining that for me a bit?

Im a bit stupid and I hopefully understand if you write me a drawing...

//Klas who is not that familiar with ECUs
Old 09 October 2007, 08:42 PM
Scooby Senior

if you unplug the hand controller and plug it back in, it should work
Old 10 October 2007, 05:21 AM
Klasagasa
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by 500
if you unplug the hand controller and plug it back in, it should work

Ive already tried it, but maybe I should wait a bit longer to see what happens. Ill try it this afternoon.
Cheers
Old 15 October 2007, 09:36 AM
Klasagasa
Scooby Newbie

Ive had no luck with the hand commander, perhaps it is for a pre -99 modell? But it actually doesnt matter because I really trust the guy who mapped the car so I dont think thats the problem.
I havent got time to plug the computer in, but I wanted to check to see if there arent any of you who have encountered this problem before?
When driven a bit hard on normal road in fourth gear the light flickered about five times in under a second. Maybe a longshot but is it possible that the new coilovers create some sort of road noise which knock sensor feels? I wouldnt place my money on that but is it even possible?
I have understood that it might be injectors maxing out, not getting enough cool air into the TMIC, the sparks getting worn out, the MAF (is that the O2 sensor?) being on the way to break?
But the question remains, why is it showing on a cool day and not during the summer?
I want to find out before I drive it again, and I will not be driving it with restrictions because then it will surely break... Murphy is on to me

Regards, Klas
Old 15 October 2007, 06:13 PM
DaveR5gtt
Scooby Regular

What sort off power are u running?
If your running over 300 then it is prob not getting enough air to your top mount! thus meaning your charge temp getting to hi? Put it on some rollers they will soon tell you whats wrong. For now tho just dont nail it.
Speak to your mapper he will know your car better then most.

Steve.
Old 15 October 2007, 07:05 PM
Klasagasa
Scooby Newbie

Cheers! Yes Ill try that this spring. The vehicle will stand in the garage during the winter unless I can find someone here to take a look!
I really hope it is "just" not enough cold air. It is running on 315bhp according to the last rolling road.
Old 15 October 2007, 07:45 PM
dezmondo
Scooby Regular

Location: At last, I've passed the V power gates and am in Scooby Heaven!

I have a UK MY99 Impreza with an Apexi ECU and commander with supporting mods giving approx 330bhp. The car was mapped about 4 months ago with no probs. Then, at 110mph (on a private road ) I got the same thing with the CEL flashing on, slowed immediately.

Have been hunting for an answer since. It is unlikely to be charge temp as I have a FMIC and it's not done it since (then I have not been over 80 since).

Will keep hunting around and let you know if I find anything out!
Old 15 October 2007, 08:16 PM
Klasagasa
Scooby Newbie

Cheers mate, that would be much appreciated! I dont really read every thread on here but I understand that there is a high knowledge about this in the UK! In Sweden most people, as I understand it, use Ecutech and other brands, and the Apexi is not that common and there is also not many here who are familiar with the mapping issues. Only a few and they are a bit of a travelling away...
Thanks for keeping an ear out!

//Klas
Old 16 October 2007, 05:49 PM
DaveR5gtt
Scooby Regular

Well im running 320 with front mount and myne flicks on in 5th.
And myne is deff charge temp!!! It's all about the way there mapped.

Steve.
Old 17 October 2007, 05:28 PM
leemoz
Scooby Newbie

it might sound silly but mine was doing the same and a random oil change cured the light problem when did it last have an oil change...
Old 25 October 2007, 06:05 PM
Klasagasa
Scooby Newbie

About 3500 miles since last. It runs on Motul Competition 10W50.
It might be the IC not cooling it enough, you say? Charge temp?