Notices

Oil Catch Can Fitted MY02STi, May help if you going to fit one?

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2007, 08:17 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Catch Can Fitted MY02STi, May help if you going to fit one?

But I just wanted some opinions on my method.

I bought a Hyperflow catch can and through the instruction in the bin as they still fed the vapour back into the intake system.

I've read most of the threads on here about catch cans but the only bit I'm not sure of is the VTA pipe.

OK, so what I've done is removed the rubber pipe from the I/C collector pipe to the intake duct, blocked the intake duct connector with a 16mm rubber cap (Supplied with the kit)

Then after removing the intercooler, I removed the crank case breather T-Piece, the rubber pipe from the T-piece to the intake duct & the rubber hose from the T-Piece to the PCV on the manifold. Here I removed the PCV valve altogether from the manifold and used a 1/4" BSP plug (not supplied) to seal the hole, perfect fit. On the inlet duct, I needed a 13mm rubber cap but only had a 16mm cap (not supplied) hence the garden hose is used as a spacer for a tight fit

I didn't get a pici of the 1/4" fitted but I kinda guess you know what it should look like.

Now for piping in. The HF oil catch can fits onto a battery bracket which is supplied and replaces the origanal bracket. I had to modify this part as if I fitted as intended, the can caught the back of the head light so I only used one fixing bolt and had the can welded to the battery bracket & my battery caps were bigger than normal hence the battery bracket wings have been removed as you can see in the pici.

Also when fitting the can, the AC pressure valve was in the way, so this needs a slight bend to get it out the way.

So the can is mounted, now just need to run the 2 breathers. The top two are the breather connections and one of them goes to the collector pipe I removed the rubber pipe from earlier

And the other directly to the crank case breather sliding into the existing rubber pipe, perfect fit again.

The hardest part for me was trying to locate the VTA pipe, I decided to use the 90deg plastic bend that came with the kit to bring the VTA pipe forward and then ran it down the side of the radiator between the AC pipe, fits nice and snug.

and it exits in the NSF wheel arch cable tied to the strapping eye.

Will the position of this VTA pipe cause any trouble and will not having a filter fitted cause any problems? Opinions welcome and a fact appreciated

I'd just like to add that the kit does come with everything you need if you fit it the intended way but I didn't, so I needed some extra parts as pointed out above.

So, Job done, I cleaned the IC out while it was removed and it was pretty dirty, not anymore though

Old 23 September 2007, 08:42 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Looks good. My only comment would be move the vta pipe to halway down the car. Had mine somewhere similar to yours and kept gettting a whaft of oil fumes in the cabin. I now have mine piped to the rear axle area and all is fine.

Last edited by Turbotits; 23 September 2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 23 September 2007, 08:49 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As above mate, move the vent to further down the car,

Any oil that could exit runs the risk of going on your front brakes, oil and brakes... a leathal combination.
Old 23 September 2007, 09:30 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

No real point in having a can if your going to vent it straight out to atmos. (apart from some shiny bling)

As Frayz says, move the vent pipe to the rear of the car. You'll be amazed how much ****e comes out of the system....
Old 23 September 2007, 10:53 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

The can is to collect the oil rather than deposit it where ever the car is going/parked. I know what you mean though.

Hmm, I'd thought about the fumes but not the oil on the brakes, the Hyperflow can is fully baffled with a sponge base that the vapour has to pass through to get to the VTA pipe so the chances of getting oil on the brakes will be unlikely, but still possible.

I'll purchase some longer hose and run it towards the back of the car.

Cheers for the comments and advice.
Old 27 September 2007, 01:53 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

I've got my heads, 2 pipes from block on 2.5L (one crank I think, not sure the other) all going to the oil catch and then pipe out to left hand side wing with Piper filter at the end (just incase sucks for some strange reason). Works well, not had to empty can yet.
Old 27 September 2007, 06:12 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

Toni,

The second breather from the crank case you talk of, that didn't go into a black metal pipe did it? I think it could be the breather balance pipe between both heads and the crank case. May be better to fit it back to the balance pipe if it was, you only need to use the breather below the turbo outlet for crank breather.
Old 28 September 2007, 09:27 AM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Northern Nick
Toni,

The second breather from the crank case you talk of, that didn't go into a black metal pipe did it? I think it could be the breather balance pipe between both heads and the crank case. May be better to fit it back to the balance pipe if it was, you only need to use the breather below the turbo outlet for crank breather.
Hey Nick, not sure m8, 2.5 block has two big pipes, one turbo side (which I know is the crank breather) and the other - I guess is the balance pipe you say - which is on the right, just I think sits to the back middle of the inlet manifold (to the right of the normal breather) - all these pipes and the heads all connect via one long pipe so would the balance still be okay?
Old 28 September 2007, 07:01 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

It will still balance I guess but I cant help thinking that the balance effect will interfere with the beathing or vise-versa. Still, I guess if the car runs ok and the catch can is working it must be ok.

Personally, I'd refit the right hand side one to the balance pipe unless somebody told me if will not make any differance, fitted or not.
Old 01 October 2007, 09:22 AM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Hey Nick,

I've got to be honest here as I'm not sure how the "right hand" balance pipe on the 2.5L fits the heads exactly as oe, do they still have a pipe feeding back to the pre turbo inlet pipe anyway? If so, I think having the setup with all pipes connected and an air filter at the end "should" be okay. Oil is def being collected in the oil catch tank which confirms flow "out" of the pipework. Got any pics of the oe setup?
Old 01 October 2007, 10:19 PM
Northern Nick
Scooby Regular

There should be a matal pipe sits under the manifold, its kinda got a t-peice in it. One end goes to the crank case, the other two too the cam covers. This does not link to the intake in anyway. Its the other two cam cover brethers and the crank case breather that link to the intake system. Easy way to check is to look at the cam covers, either one and you should see two breather pipes next to each other. IIRC the front one goes to the link pipe and the rear one to the intake/catch can.

I haven't got a photo but I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Old 02 October 2007, 09:52 AM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Tops, cheers Nick.

I'll have a look over my pipework over the weekend...