Notices

Accelerating problem (sort of)

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2007, 02:08 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Accelerating problem (sort of)

Hey guys, I'll try and describe this problem the best I can okay......

Whenever I'm going along and I try and hold a constant speed, or accelerate very very slightly.....the car seems like it's 'missing' almost? It's very very slight......but like say I'm going up a hill in 2nd following a really slow line of traffic stuck behind a tractor, the car seems to be 'jumping' or 'kangarooing' or whatever you wanna call it. It's not obvious, like the car isn't jumping around in a 'slam on the brakes then let off' style lol, but it's enough that you can feel it hessitating a bit. When you accelerate properly tho, it seems fine. Like say for example I then went to overtake some of this slow moving traffic and just planted my foot in 2nd......it wouldn't hesitate, it would be fine. It's just when I try and accelerate a bit. Weird!

Also, dunno if this could be related, but when it's idling now (when it's warm, after a journey) it kinda does the normal idling burble noise.....but with the odd 'chug' here & there. Quite reqularly, but not at constant intervals. Almost like a 'pop' but not as loud. A little stutter in the exhaust like. Never used to do that. I'll try get it on video maybe at some point if I can be arsed!

Maybe I just need a remap and it'll be fine? I keep wondering if I'm killing the car driving it with my mods now (view my scooby) and no remap. But hoping to get one soon anyway
Old 15 September 2007, 02:17 PM
sl1000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds to me that you are feeling the oscillation effect cause by the Lambda regulation.
I also had it when my scoob was still near to standard.
look here for some description.
Untitled
It think all scoobs have it to some effect but due to your mods it might have become more noticable.
You could try changing your Lambda sensor.
Old 15 September 2007, 02:25 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sl1000
sounds to me that you are feeling the oscillation effect cause by the Lambda regulation.
I also had it when my scoob was still near to standard.
look here for some description.
Untitled
It think all scoobs have it to some effect but due to your mods it might have become more noticable.
You could try changing your Lambda sensor.
Wow cheers for that mate, that seems to make a lot of sense! I think it's only since I've had my ninja sports cat downpipe fitted.....and seeing as the lambda sensor is screwed into that (I think!), right after the turbo, and the 'mouth' of the ninja pipe seems to be slightly more than double the size of the standard subaru one.....I'm sure it would make some kinda difference! I'm guessinga remap would pretty much sort that then?
Old 15 September 2007, 02:31 PM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

If you have a boost gauge fitted what does it show under these conditions?
Old 15 September 2007, 02:34 PM
sl1000
Scooby Regular

remap could cure it depending on if the mapper changes the closed loop parameters or let the car run in open loop all the time.
the latter option might give problems with MOT though.
you could also decide to leave it as is since I doubt it to be a real problem (for the engine that is)
for testing purpose you could also do a test run with Lambda sensor disconnected and see if effect is gone. (will make CEL light to come on)
Old 15 September 2007, 02:36 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mocom Racing
If you have a boost gauge fitted what does it show under these conditions?
I don't have a boost guage fitted I'm afraid I have only never got one cuz I think it would just look so 'chavvy', havin a boost guage on a completely standard looking car y'know? I don't mean to offend anyone by that, but yeah I just can't think where to put one where it would look decent! I really want to get one tho cuz I'd love to know what's actually happening with the boost. Especially in surcumstances like this where there's actually something wrong, I think it would help a lot.
Old 15 September 2007, 02:39 PM
sl1000
Scooby Regular

boost gauge should show nothing else than steady vacuum.
the oscillation is caused by changes in mixture due to Closed loop control of the ECU.

Trending Topics

Old 15 September 2007, 02:43 PM
sl1000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simonds1
I don't have a boost guage fitted I'm afraid I have only never got one cuz I think it would just look so 'chavvy', havin a boost guage on a completely standard looking car y'know? I don't mean to offend anyone by that, but yeah I just can't think where to put one where it would look decent! I really want to get one tho cuz I'd love to know what's actually happening with the boost. Especially in surcumstances like this where there's actually something wrong, I think it would help a lot.
best option is center glove compartment in my opinion.
there are several shops which sell a replacement see My scooby for a pic
Old 15 September 2007, 07:27 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sl1000
best option is center glove compartment in my opinion.
there are several shops which sell a replacement see My scooby for a pic
Aye that is definitely the best place for 'em mate, cuz they don't look 'stuck on', they look like they're meant to be there. But by the time I've bought that centre guage pod, got 3 guages to put in em, and fitted em......that's a lotta money!