Notices

MY99 Uk Bonnet scoop - maximum speed??

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2007, 11:39 AM
steve0
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY99 Uk Bonnet scoop - maximum speed??

At approximately what speed is the MY99 Uk Turbo 2000 bonnet scoop deemed useless/not efficient at feeding air in for the TMIC??

Cheers
Old 05 September 2007, 12:12 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Faster you go, the more air you get, Stationary there is no airflow obvioulsy, not sure what question your asking!

Simon
Old 05 September 2007, 12:15 PM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

Also heard what steve is saying, at silly speeds air stops entering the scoob and passes over the car or something like that

cant say if its true, never drive at silly speeds anyway
Old 05 September 2007, 12:37 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steve0
At approximately what speed is the MY99 Uk Turbo 2000 bonnet scoop deemed useless/not efficient at feeding air in for the TMIC??

Cheers
Have heard about 120mph (but i don't have any evidence though)
Old 05 September 2007, 01:29 PM
steve0
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I have read on here a number of times that when you get over something like 110-120mph, the scoop on classics becomes virtually useless, as the air passes over the bonnet. Therefore, if you keep it nailed past these speed for periods of time, the intake temps keep rising and rising and then the engine will let go. I was just wondering if anyone knew a definitive speed?

Not that I reguarly do anywhere near those speeds, it was just out of curiousity tbh!!
Old 05 September 2007, 03:29 PM
subaruian
Scooby Regular

To quote from APIDavid - talking about engine failures

Our experience here at APi Engines after close on 600 rebuilds in 4 1/2 years comes down to the following.

OR high road speed creating less air going through the top mount Intercooler heat soak sets in, fuel /air ratio weakens, detonation - bang. The bonnet scoop in standard form is remarkably inefficient above about 110 MPH

More and more Scoob engine failures!!
Old 05 September 2007, 05:25 PM
scooby-power
Scooby Regular

yep true powerstation told me over 125 mph on classic the air does not enter the scoop and bang goes the engine !!!
thats why im getting the sti8 scoop for mine (dont know weather it allows higher top speeds or not ???? but its got to help with cooling ....abit
Old 05 September 2007, 05:51 PM
lightwave693
Scooby Regular

if your getting an sti8 scoop would be good to get the intercooler to match.
thats what i have done on mine.

at high speed the air going into the scoop cant pass through the intercooler fast enough so backs up and overflows directing air over the scoop, air still flows through the scoop and intercooler just not enough to keeps the charge temps down for the work that the engine is doing. think of it like a funnel, pour water into fast and it overflows because the hole in the funnel cant pass the volume of fluid going in.

the bigger scoop will help but a bigger intercooler will really help.

Rich
Old 05 September 2007, 06:32 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Get a nice big front mount problem solved
Old 05 September 2007, 07:00 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Flow increases the faster you go. I've tested it myself by monitoring charge temps at various different speeds up to 130 on track. However, the 'overflowing funnel' effect as mentioned above does come into effect. There is a limit to how much flow a standard classic scoop for example can manage. My experience and results tell me it's OTT to claim that flow simply stops at 110, or 120 etc. It just doesn't increase as much as is needed for the load you're putting on the engine if you floor it at three figure speeds and keep your foot in - with a top mount that is.
Old 06 September 2007, 08:04 AM
steve0
Scooby Regular

Ah right, I see. So, that leads me on to; do the Newage WRX's have larger scoops than the classics?? As I am currently going to buy a WRX TMIC, so it would make sense to get hold of a scoop and undertray, and fit these aswell, so I have the full WRX set up. Going the WRX route (insteat of STI) as I cant be bothered having to fit an STI one, and the WRX one is apparently ok until around 350/360 bhp, mine hopefully being around 330/340 after the next remap.

Cheers
Old 06 September 2007, 06:05 PM
steve0
Scooby Regular

Anyone??
Old 06 September 2007, 06:40 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

On the later cars the size of the scoop has changed the STI 8 is the biggest i think.

I think Scott t on here has a fitting guide for a larger intercooler may be worth pm Scott.T@PolarPerformance or email PolarPerformance

Last edited by myblackwrx; 07 September 2007 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06 September 2007, 09:00 PM
scoobystiv8
Scooby Regular

Dont you think that subaru tested the scoop in a wind tunnel? They did sell it with a top speed above 110mph. If you sit at 130/140mph plus all day then yes expect problems. But using the car for what it was designed I think the tuners are talking bol***ks.
I have had a MY00 and a forester turbo MY00 that both did thousands of miles in Europe at speeds around or above your 110mph and they never missed abeat, both cleared 100,000 miles, the forester was sold with 140,000 miles on the clock and was sold in mint condition. Just follow service schedule. Most tuners will tell you anything to sell you new bits, eg sti v8 scoop and intercooler and the car will last forever.

Too many people answering posts with a commercial interest.
If everyone was an enthusiast and not trying to make a living people wouldnt be buying bits they dont need and getting rubbish advice.
Old 06 September 2007, 09:50 PM
mac12
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobystiv8
Dont you think that subaru tested the scoop in a wind tunnel? They did sell it with a top speed above 110mph. If you sit at 130/140mph plus all day then yes expect problems. But using the car for what it was designed I think the tuners are talking bol***ks.
I have had a MY00 and a forester turbo MY00 that both did thousands of miles in Europe at speeds around or above your 110mph and they never missed abeat, both cleared 100,000 miles, the forester was sold with 140,000 miles on the clock and was sold in mint condition. Just follow service schedule. Most tuners will tell you anything to sell you new bits, eg sti v8 scoop and intercooler and the car will last forever.

Too many people answering posts with a commercial interest.
If everyone was an enthusiast and not trying to make a living people wouldnt be buying bits they dont need and getting rubbish advice.
couldnt agree more
Old 07 September 2007, 03:47 AM
typeRv4
Scooby Regular

"Dont you think that subaru tested the scoop in a wind tunnel?"

I hope so.

Guess thats why they made the version 7, 8, 9, 10 scoops bigger than the classic.
Old 07 September 2007, 10:18 AM
steve0
Scooby Regular

I do agree with that comment aswell, they obviously tested that it 'worked' when designing the car/scoop. I am currently on the limit of my MY99 TMIC anyhoo, so need to upgrade, and feel there is no point in getting the WRX intercooler without the scoop. Vered slightly off the subject of the original post there, but hey ho!!
Old 07 September 2007, 10:37 AM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a STI8 scoop for sale if anyone requires one.

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...0-classic.html

The Hoff
Old 07 September 2007, 01:40 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

SteveO, no commercial interest here as I'm just a scooby owner, but if changing the TMIC, go for the STi7/8 size scoop as that makes the difference. I had a temp sensor probe in there and apart from a percentage of the heat soak problem at idle, the IC temps were much better with a bigger TMIC and the STi scoop (with splitter). The best for temps has to be FMIC though but as many have said before you'll not need this at 350 bhp or below.
Old 07 September 2007, 02:50 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swisstonihasher
SteveO, no commercial interest here as I'm just a scooby owner, but if changing the TMIC, go for the STi7/8 size scoop as that makes the difference. I had a temp sensor probe in there and apart from a percentage of the heat soak problem at idle, the IC temps were much better with a bigger TMIC and the STi scoop (with splitter). The best for temps has to be FMIC though but as many have said before you'll not need this at 350 bhp or below.
You might not "need it" but it certainly won't be a problem putting one on as it will be a bigger safety blanket if you did, you are guaranteed that your inlet temps will be of an acceptable level with a FMIC, it will not suffer heat soak (apart from the pipes maybe, and these you can cover with heat wrap) and would generally be a better option for your engines life.
To produce more power your engine WILL produce more heat fact, a FMIC will be far more efficient at reducing charge temps due to it's location and sheer size in comparison to any top mount imo.
Old 07 September 2007, 11:19 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by scoobysmiff
You might not "need it" but it certainly won't be a problem putting one on as it will be a bigger safety blanket if you did, you are guaranteed that your inlet temps will be of an acceptable level with a FMIC, it will not suffer heat soak (apart from the pipes maybe, and these you can cover with heat wrap) and would generally be a better option for your engines life.
To produce more power your engine WILL produce more heat fact, a FMIC will be far more efficient at reducing charge temps due to it's location and sheer size in comparison to any top mount imo.
Can't argue with that!

ns04