Notices

Respray

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2007, 09:27 AM
djstreaky
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Respray

first of all sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I nwasn't sure which one to go in (admin please feel free to move it).

OK, last night some c*nt has vandalised my 1995 Impreza turbo 2000 with some kind of glue, it's absolutely everywhere and pretty much every panel is going to need sorting, to say I'm p!ssed off is an understatement but trying to keep calm (as I have a pretty big idea who the culprit is) I just have two questions that I was wondering if anyone could help me with.

First of all how much do you think this may cost to sort? it's going to need a total respray but it looks like the glue has only stripped the paint down to the metal, it hasn't burnt the bodywork from what I can see.
Secondly does anybody know any good places in or around the West London area (I'm in Northolt which for those who don't know is about 15 mins from Heathrow).

Any help would be much apprciated
Old 11 August 2007, 09:58 AM
Scooby Senior

Sorry to hear it, happened to me a while ago. it won't be glue, it'll be nitromores paint stripper

How many panels has it affected? what colour is the car? as silver is a hard one to match and get spot on.

best to get a few quotes from decent bodyshops, you should be able to see their work whilst you are there
Old 11 August 2007, 10:02 AM
djstreaky
Scooby Newbie

it's affected all of them on looking again, it's a standard metallic green that you see on a lot of Imprezas.
Old 11 August 2007, 10:09 AM
34srm
Scooby Regular

sorry to here about that mate ,wot i wanna on is why do they do it
Old 11 August 2007, 10:58 AM
Neil..
Scooby Regular

Full respray is going to cost you £1500 to £2500,maybe more, depending on the quality of the job you require.

Sounds like it's paint stripper if it has gone down to bare metal,so check to see if any of your plastic trims have been affected, as these will need replacing..
Old 11 August 2007, 11:47 AM
djstreaky
Scooby Newbie

cheers people, I'll get some quotes today.
Old 11 August 2007, 12:26 PM
woody1980
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear about your car mate thats pretty bad. i was also looking into getting my car resprayed soon, just due to chips and some mods and stuff. i live in sunbury near heathrow. i will try and find some places as i have a few friends who work in bodyshop places. i know i can get one for around the £500 mark and you supply the paint. if i was you i would get a can of spray lacquer and spray the areas with bare metal as they will be prone to rust as they arent protected at the moment. if they do rust then your have alot more trouble on your hands.
Old 11 August 2007, 12:46 PM
sjwent
Scooby Regular

Hi there,

sorry to hear your bad news, I'm in Sudbury Hill - just down the road.

Try AnG Services in Park Royal 0208 963 0333 and speak to Angie. They're good Scooby mechanics and a bodyshop as well.
Old 11 August 2007, 01:42 PM
djstreaky
Scooby Newbie

cheers Woody, my sisters boyfriend has a mate who does this kind of thing so he's coming to look tomorrow and thanks also sjwent, I'll give them a bell on Monday and get a quote. If I get any really good quotes I'll post up the details here and share the info with everyone.
Old 11 August 2007, 02:28 PM
spike69
Scooby Regular

I did one of these as a freebie for a mate of mine ( i used to spray cars full time and still have all the gear to do it).

What a pig of a job to do...

Id hate to do one again,the prep work was a nightmare.

Oddly enough painting it was a doddle,it was metallic black and looked fantastic when it was finished.

Can you possibly prep the car yourself? it will save a fortune if you can,its not as hard as you think,just a case of man hours and hard graft.

The spraying is the easy bit really.
If you need a step by step guide as to how to prep the car,i will happily talk you through it

Why these people want to destroy someones pride and joy is beyond me

Spiko
Old 11 August 2007, 05:14 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

really sorry to hear about this. go kick the ***** head i for this. disgusting on someones elses pride and joy!

similar thing happened to me, someone going down the passenger side front wing, and door with a keey or something. got a little pot of colour match paint straight away and covered the scratches up so they didnt rust.

some pillock ended up driving into the opposite side of the car a few weeks later so with the compo money for whiplahs, while the car was away, had it sprayed too.

over £2k for a full prep spray job im afraid.
Old 11 August 2007, 10:07 PM
Dee NI
Scooby Regular

Would the insurance not cover it? Especially when you're talking 1k+ for a respray.
Maybe if you go and have a chat with a painter and tell him you'll lend a hand with the prep work and do whatever he wants (I'd stay clear of sexual favours thought!) Would be worth asking anyhow.

Damien
Old 11 August 2007, 10:45 PM
autobahnscooby
Scooby Regular

A similer thing happened to me about 4 years ago, my Cav turbo had every panel keyed down to the metal, I was insured with Norwich Union fully comp. They payed for the respray and i didnt looe my ncb. It was not protected at the time, they told me i wouldnt loose my ncb because it was a vanalism claim! Give your insurabce a call theres a slim chance if you are fully comp!
Old 13 August 2007, 09:35 AM
djstreaky
Scooby Newbie

spike 69 that's really nice of you. I'm just getting a few quotes today (from friends who know people who owe favours) so will see how the prices come back, if they're lots then a step by step guide would be brilliant, I don't have a lot of experience with cars but am definatly willing to put in some man hours if it saves me money.

unfortunatly as I haven't driven the car for 4 months (due to having to get a new one for work and the fact that I was beginning to do it up so I could sell it) the car isn't insured, it's just sitting on my drive, a schollboy error I know but you don't think someone will come a do something like this really.

Believe me I'd love to kick the guys head in as like I said I am pretty sure it's my sisters deranged ex boyfriend (he's already smashed up her car earlier this year) but I think I'll bide my time on that one and let him think he's got one over on me and think of something incredibly maliscious*sp* and clever to get him back.
Old 13 August 2007, 09:45 AM
2pac
Scooby Regular

make sure you do....revenge is sweeeeeeet
Old 13 August 2007, 10:10 AM
djstreaky
Scooby Newbie

oh I will. I know he'll try and deny that it was anything to do with him but it's too much of a coincidence. This was pre-meditated as normal vandals would probably not have come prepared with paint stripper and only 'done' one car, they'd of got a few around our close not just mine.