Notices

Possumlink, is it a good thing?

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2001, 07:45 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can anybody out there give me some advice on the possum link? Just basic stuff like, what sort of power gains are possible, and will my car vanish in a ball of flames?
Old 31 December 2001, 08:09 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Car will only vanish in a ball of flames if you have it done/do it really badly - just the same as any other chip in that respect!

Power increase - what is your base - what additional mods do you have, what mods do you plan.

Biggest increase I have seen on a Subaru with Link and one or two other bits and pieces is 130bhp - but the turbo and FMIC contributed greatly to these figures.

Speak to BRD - tell them what you want from your car rather then ask how much power you will get

Trout
Old 31 December 2001, 10:02 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Having my 99MY - UK done in January. Always nervous of mods like this, but it has a good reputation/
JohnD
Old 31 December 2001, 06:33 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Had my Link for a couple of years now, perfect for when you do other mods and alter the map to accomodate.

A
Old 01 January 2002, 10:28 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

had mine fitted 6 months ago; initially tuned by on-road driving and then a couple of months later on a rolling road.

if the garage know what they're doing then, as far as I understand, it lets the mechanic interactively adjust to the engine sensors' feedback whilst on-road or on rolling road.

The danger appears to only lie with an 'amateur' tinkering with the settings.

Old 01 January 2002, 10:47 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To those who have had the system for a while. -
What true, on road improvements have you seen? £1400 is a lot of dosh to fork out on a placebo. Honest opinions please!
JohnD
Old 01 January 2002, 11:32 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Yep it's a lot of dosh if you just want to increase boost to say 18psi but if you intend to tune the engine with other components, then it's a perfect tool to accomodate them.
Try for example a VF22 on a std ECU....my car drove pants on the std ECU but with the Link, the map was altered to allow me to use it.

How far do you want to tune your car?
Old 01 January 2002, 07:06 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeah,

With Alan on this 1, If u wanna do serious stuff the Link is the tool that`ll allow it. If u jus wanna up the boost get a superchip.
I had a SC in for bout 1.5 years an it was great, but when u started upgrading other parts the SC didn`t take advantage of them Have had a link in for dunno maybe 6 - 8 months. Initially it was no better than a SC except i didn`t need the HKS AFR to ensure the fueling was right. After the initial learning curve with some help from Sam, Alan, Pat, Bob and 2 many others 2 mention (but u all know who u r ) which BTW is not over yet
starting to c some usefull gains and now know the potential of the mota. Hence new round of "upgrades" on the cards
Don`t be fooled that u`ll buy this an get mondo gains straight outta the box, a lot of time, effort and SUL is required to get it right for u r own mota, but the gains r well worth it.

BTW happy new year Alan drop me a mail bud, no heard from u for a longgggg time.

L8r
Pete
Old 01 January 2002, 10:23 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Hi Pete. HNY

Have dropped u a wee note...........

heeheeheeheehee

A
Old 02 January 2002, 12:12 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

John D,

The gains can be very considerable - especially if you have other mods which can then be tuned to the optimum.

I have added a conservative 70bhp to my car - principally coming from a Link and an uprated turbo - I would say the gains are 50/50 Link and turbo. I have other bits and pieces on the car - but these are the main contributors to performance - the other changes primarily enable me to maintain my performance on track.

Trout