cutting front cross member?

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2007, 09:03 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Default cutting front cross member?

Just about to fit a FMIC to my new age, and it appears it needs to have the cross member cut (essentially, the middle needs to be taken out).

Question is simply, is this safe to do? It seems like all FMIC kits out there for the new age require this, but I'm still a bit iffy about it
Old 17 June 2007, 09:09 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know if it's the same as the one on a classic, but if it IS that one that goes between the two headlights, it doesn't have a great deal of strength to it. I can't imagine it's a structural part of the car. It DOES however slot into the front of the chassis rail on each side and perhaps ties these together in a crash?
Old 17 June 2007, 09:13 AM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

HI Henrik,

Long time no see! How are the STI Alloys? Did you get that scratch fixed?

When I fitted my APS we also had to grind a bit down. When we did we took it back as for as we could still ensuring that the spot welds would hold (Taking off the excess).
Its not something people mention, so I thought it was because my car had an ALK fitted.

In hind sight, I would have like dto have taken it right back ever further for more clearance and then re-spotted the join with a mig welder.
Although, I wonder if most people just grind it back and leae it, as the remainder of the welds will be enough.

Im sure Arron will enjoy this picture of him
Old 17 June 2007, 11:13 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Hol
HI Henrik,

Long time no see! How are the STI Alloys? Did you get that scratch fixed?

When I fitted my APS we also had to grind a bit down. When we did we took it back as for as we could still ensuring that the spot welds would hold (Taking off the excess).
Its not something people mention, so I thought it was because my car had an ALK fitted.

In hind sight, I would have like dto have taken it right back ever further for more clearance and then re-spotted the join with a mig welder.
Although, I wonder if most people just grind it back and leae it, as the remainder of the welds will be enough.

Im sure Arron will enjoy this picture of him

The STI alloys are still doing excellently, never got around to fixing the scratch as I don't notice it anyway (and the car never goes out in salt anyway). Still on the original F1's too, as I've only done about 7000 miles since I bought them

I believe the APS kit comes with a replacement bar or something, doesn't it? Is that the black thing in the picture? Or is it different because it's a JDM?

Here's a shot of mine with the bumper off: http://www.bilar.co.uk/ebayfmic/front_small.jpg . Ignore the ebay part of the URL, i'm not fitting that one, but it's a decent shot of the beam I'm talking about I.e. the one that requires cutting is the big fat one in front, not the one that sits on top of it.

I think that I could get away with just cutting a section out in the middle, big enough to slot the intercooler in As the bar is essentially a rectangular piece of metal, do you think that if I cut out only a part of it, sort of like this:
http://www.bilar.co.uk/ebayfmic/frontmember.JPG

My thinking here is that the little sides would make it stronger than just having the back on it's own (or even no bar)? I'm not a structural engineer of course, but does that make sense?

Originally Posted by SilentRunning
Don't know if it's the same as the one on a classic, but if it IS that one that goes between the two headlights, it doesn't have a great deal of strength to it. I can't imagine it's a structural part of the car. It DOES however slot into the front of the chassis rail on each side and perhaps ties these together in a crash?
I'm starting to wish I had a classic... Straight swap?

I'm thinking subaru put the bar there for a reason, and the only one I can think of is crash protection (or maybe it stiffens the front up as well?) Not a big fan of butchering my crash protection for an intercooler, but if it's still safeish, I may do it

Damn these FMIC's, I'm starting to wish I'd gone for an STI top mount again (I was umming and arring for about two weeks, looking for a top mount and then I finally went and bought a FMIC and literally hours after I placed my order someone offered me a top mount)...
Old 17 June 2007, 05:39 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I don't know about on the newage, but on my v4 classic the cross piece stays in place and you just hang the FMIC off it. That's an autobahn88 and there was a fair bit of metal I had to take out to get it to fit...
Old 17 June 2007, 06:40 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Aha, so you still had to cut parts off it?
Old 18 June 2007, 09:21 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Henrik,
Give Neilo a PM, he had my standard JDM crossmember off me as he was having the same problem.

Which is, that the UK crossmember (ringed in Yellow) has a huge bit at the bottom of it. All you need to the is the bit in RED along the top, to hold the top bumper section in place.

The bit in green, is the part that we had to trim on mine.

The Black bar on mine replaces this completely as you have guessed.

This is my original JDM bumper bar (and dirty garage).

Old 19 June 2007, 06:14 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Hol

Henrik,
Give Neilo a PM, he had my standard JDM crossmember off me as he was having the same problem.

Which is, that the UK crossmember (ringed in Yellow) has a huge bit at the bottom of it. All you need to the is the bit in RED along the top, to hold the top bumper section in place.

The bit in green, is the part that we had to trim on mine.

The Black bar on mine replaces this completely as you have guessed.

This is my original JDM bumper bar (and dirty garage).

Cheers for the modified pic, it all makes a bit more sense now

I'll just get the angle grinder out and go to work on it, I think... Famous last words, but what's the worst than can happen, eh?
Old 19 June 2007, 11:22 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you thought about insurance implications in the event of a front ender..!??

The cross member looks like an integral part of the front end crumple zone. It would spread the force of an impact along both 'chassis rails'. Cutting it could have major implications for structural integrity IMHO.

There's quite a bit of material in that piece, for a reason..!

Another thought, this could be one of the things that makes the NA cars chassis something like 200% stiffer than the classic.
Old 19 June 2007, 11:42 AM
Rice Rocket
Scooby Regular

I'm in the same situ at the moment too.
I wwas thinking once the FMIC was fitted, could you not weld in a couple of extra strengthening bars? (similar to the JDM bar)

Looking at the JDM bar agaianst the UK bar its doesnt look as if the impact would save much anyway?

Anyone selling a JDM bar for a newage?

S!
Old 19 June 2007, 11:57 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by jasonius
Have you thought about insurance implications in the event of a front ender..!??

The cross member looks like an integral part of the front end crumple zone. It would spread the force of an impact along both 'chassis rails'. Cutting it could have major implications for structural integrity IMHO.

There's quite a bit of material in that piece, for a reason..!

Another thought, this could be one of the things that makes the NA cars chassis something like 200% stiffer than the classic.
yeah i was thinking about that as well actually... I'll have a look and see if it's possible to mount it behind there somehow... maybe if the radiator is moved backwards, or if it's possible to mount it at an angle or something.

Really, I suppose I'd feel a bit stupid if I was in a front ender and hurt myself or someone else just because i fitted a fmic and cut some safety bar...

What annoys me a bit is that the site where I bought it from said that no modification of the cross member was required, but clearly it is...
Old 20 June 2007, 10:51 AM
Rice Rocket
Scooby Regular

Any further forward with this yet Henrik?

Pics?

S!
Old 20 June 2007, 12:00 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Stalked!
Any further forward with this yet Henrik?

Pics?

S!
No, unfortunately not... I was wrapping headers yesterday Now got really itchy fingers (even though I used gloves).

Had a quick look, and it looks incredibly tight behind the cross member, as in, the radiator will have to move back the whole thickness of the intercooler.

What do you think about having an intercooler straight in front of the radiator? Perhaps by moving the radiator too far in, it will pick up too much heat from the engine to be effective, at least with the additional strain of having the fmic in front of it (roughly speaking, i think the intercooler will cover half the radiator).

I'm sure it's possible to solve somehow, but I think I need a welder... Depending on how my auctions on ebay go at the moment, I might get one and have a play with it. Even if I was to modify the front member to have the intercooler in it, I'd need a welder anyway so that I could strengthen it up enough again.

Then of course, there's the consideration that if the cross member is in the way of the intercooler, the intercooler will not have the same air flow to it (well, unless the air still gets up behind the cross member, but i think this is unlikely as the gap between cross member and intercooler would be like a couple of cm max).

Another solution might be to modify the core itself so that it fits underneath the cross member, but that requires welding aluminium which requires a tig welder, which is a lot of wonga. Also, the core would end up a lot smaller so may not be worth the hassle.

As always with me and cars, progress is slow.
Old 20 June 2007, 12:04 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I wwas thinking once the FMIC was fitted, could you not weld in a couple of extra strengthening bars? (similar to the JDM bar)

Looking at the JDM bar agaianst the UK bar its doesnt look as if the impact would save much anyway?
Yeah, the JDM bar looks tiny... The problem with welding in stuff is that the insurance company would probably *really* stuff your insurance premiums up, just for the fact that you've modified a safety feature (even if it was stronger than original (e.g. a bit like fitting bigger brakes)).

(i.e, even if the modified uk bar is "safer" than the JDM, it would still probably cost more to insure than the JDM purely because it's modified)
Old 20 June 2007, 12:43 PM
Rice Rocket
Scooby Regular

^^^ So how do people get away with having a FMIC with their insurance and not have problems?

I need to sort my insurance out soon, renewal time!

S!
Old 20 June 2007, 01:03 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

^^^ So how do people get away with having a FMIC with their insurance and not have problems?

Not sure to be honest... maybe it's implicit "with the fitting of the fmic" (which is declared), or maybe we just haven't heard about the cases where it's been a problem?

Anyone know for sure?
Old 20 June 2007, 01:58 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

S!
I was with LV when I had it first fitted to mine (APS requiring the removal of the bumper bar and replacement APS one* ). They charged me about £20 extra for the 'Modified Bodywork'.

My current insururers have 'APS Front Mount Intercooler' listed as one of the modifications.

Although the original JDM bar is lighter/smaller, they make up the differeence with a piece of polestyrene, about the same shape as the boxed section on Henriks uk bar.

* The APS is actually a very large and heavy peice of kit and is more substantial than the original bumper bar anyway. It would be more worried about damaging any lorries that I hit

Looking at the pictures, the main UK/JDM differences are that the JDM has a 30mm rolled tube at that point. Personally, I think two layers of 25mm Box section instead would be stronger.

I will PM Neilo and see if he can explain how he got around it all.
Old 20 June 2007, 02:49 PM
Rice Rocket
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info Hol, I'm with LV at the moment, but looking to change soon.

S!
Old 20 June 2007, 05:36 PM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

For what it's worth I felt the same as you; that piece of steel looks important so the FMIC is now slung underneath and sticks out of the bottom of the car. This looked naff but a splitter attached to the bottom of the bumper evened it all up so the bottom of the car is a straight line again.
Old 20 June 2007, 06:36 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Mother Theresa
For what it's worth I felt the same as you; that piece of steel looks important so the FMIC is now slung underneath and sticks out of the bottom of the car. This looked naff but a splitter attached to the bottom of the bumper evened it all up so the bottom of the car is a straight line again.
You don't happen to have a picture do you?

If you have, could you email it to me (Click on my name to the left of this post and select "send email") and I'll host it for you (unless you have photobucket etc).

Cheers
Old 21 June 2007, 05:33 PM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

It probably won't be until after the week-end unfortunately but I'll take one.
Old 25 June 2007, 04:21 PM
Rice Rocket
Scooby Regular

Any update guys?

S!
Old 27 June 2007, 10:44 AM
Rice Rocket
Scooby Regular

TTT
Old 28 June 2007, 10:30 AM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

I did send him a couple of pics.
Old 28 June 2007, 12:33 PM
Rice Rocket
Scooby Regular

Any chance you could email me them too.

S!
Old 29 June 2007, 10:26 AM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

If you let me know your e-mail I will. Am on hols next week so you'll have to be quick....
Old 29 June 2007, 10:34 AM
Rice Rocket
Scooby Regular

you have PM!

Thanks
S