£288 + VAT for a fuel pump ?

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2007, 05:20 PM
voddie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default £288 + VAT for a fuel pump ?

Hi All

Been having some start up problems for the last few weeks now. In a morning when the car is cold it would take ages for the thing to actually start. The engine would turn over but not fire. But when it eventually did, the car would run, and stop/start again perfectly.

I had similar problems a few months ago, but this turned out to be a faulty earth. So my mind was stuck, thinking this was the cause again. After trying all the earth leads I could find under the bonnet, I gave up, and took the car to my local Subaru garage. £88 for a general diagnostics test. Which I didnt mind paying really, but. . . How suprised was I when they called me to say, 'The only thing they could find wrong was the fuel pump, and this must be replaced at a charge of £288+vat Plus fitting charges !!!

I promptly told them not to bother.

So now here I am, Walbro 255LPH bought off ebay, £75 delivered, all fitted by myself. And guess what . . . I have the same problem !!!

So glad I didnt listen to the stupid Subaru garage.

My mind is almost set now that I have a fualty fuel pump relay, as reading various posts on here, and other forums, the pump should be heard when the ignition is turned on. Yet this is very hit and miss, sometimes I hear it, sometimes I dont

Problem is, I cant find one. Someone please tell me where to find one

I have lost faith in the local Subaru peeps.
Old 19 May 2007, 05:56 PM
Scooby Senior

What year car?

Does it have the O.E sigma?
They have a habit of the fuel pump relay failing
Old 19 May 2007, 11:10 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

..or the connection under the rear seat is faulty..

Simon
Old 20 May 2007, 12:32 AM
voddie
Scooby Regular

Its a 99 UK Turbo.

Could well possibly be the sigma, but wouldnt the garage have picked up on this? They had it for a full day, so surely they would have checked all the connections too?

Like I say, its very hit and miss. Without even trying to start the engine, just turning the ignition on and off. Sometimes you hear the pump priming, sometimes you dont. I have read that the ecu will only try to prime the fuel so many times (which makes kinda sense) before it does it again. But from cold, first thing in a morning, it doesnt do it straight away. I have to sit twiddling the ignition on and off before I can get it to prime, or else it just wont fire up.

Thank you for your help. Its very much appreciated.

Last edited by voddie; 20 May 2007 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 20 May 2007, 01:04 AM
wrxpablos
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
..or the connection under the rear seat is faulty..

Simon
Ive had this problem when I first had my car. The connector had melted and was not providing a good enough connection. It would start if you wiggled the connector while you got someone else to turn the key. In the end I just cut the connector out and soldered the wires. never had a problem since
Old 20 May 2007, 02:00 AM
Andygreer
Scooby Regular

well mate if a newage pump fit i have one covered 24k - £5 for the postage if this helps
Old 20 May 2007, 05:43 AM
Sc0oby
Scooby Regular

the fuel pump relay on this unit is dimilsr to a mitsubishi spacegear. check your strainer on your fuel pump or the fuel tank as rust could generate from the gas tank and clog the strainer of the pump
Old 20 May 2007, 03:35 PM
voddie
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

Sc0oby, the fuel pump is brand new unit. Same symptons with this and the old one.

Ok I have found the relays under the dash. There are two circular ones on either side one with a white connector, and one with green, The middle one is a Brown and square. . . So which is the fuel pump relay?

I have placed some wire in the Circular (green connector) to bridge the relay, and when the ignition is turned on, the fuel pump is on constantly, until the immobaliser kicks in again. So im thinking its this one ? ?

I have swapped the white for the green, and just waiting an hour or before I retry starting the engine. Fingers crossed.
Old 20 May 2007, 04:38 PM
wrxpablos
Scooby Regular

Before you start changing relays, have you checked the conditon of the connector underneath the rear seat? pull it apart and make sure its not melted plastic over the connections.
Old 20 May 2007, 04:50 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the connector under the seat, it had melted. So i chopped it off and soldered some wires and its not let me down after that.

Banny
Old 20 May 2007, 04:54 PM
voddie
Scooby Regular

Still the same with Relays changed over.

What am I looking for under the rear seat? Is this the connector that goes to the fuel pump or something?

Last time I had the fuel pump out all the cables ran under the car. There are some metal pipes on both sides, im presuming these are the brake lines. Is the connection your talking about around here somewhere?

Thank you for your help guys

Much appreciate it
Old 20 May 2007, 05:16 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Take the rear bench out and on the drivers side there is a black plastic connector it maybe under a protective sticker, thats the one you need to check.

Banny
Old 20 May 2007, 08:24 PM
voddie
Scooby Regular

Guys, problem sorted. The connector hadnt melted or come apart or anything, and doesnt look damaged.

But after disconnecting/reconnecting a few times it seems to have done the trick.

Thank you all very much for your help

P.S Walbro 255lph pump for sale lol