Notices

advice please..............lambda sensor?!!

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2007, 04:59 PM
scoob93
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice please..............lambda sensor?!!

right i just bought a full blue flame exgaust for my93 scoob and the guys at the garage say theres no place to attach the lambda sensor as its welded up................what is it and is this a prob.....................i need advice as booked in for friday!! thanks guys
Old 14 March 2007, 05:07 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoob93
right i just bought a full blue flame exgaust for my93 scoob and the guys at the garage say theres no place to attach the lambda sensor as its welded up................what is it and is this a prob.....................i need advice as booked in for friday!! thanks guys
Is yours an Import ??
If so i think the Lambda Sensor (Oxygen Sensor) is in the Collector Box part of the headers, Just before the Up-pipe, Have a look below the drivers side rocker cover, If there is one there, No problem.

Looks like this
http://www.grahamgoode.com/products/images/027833.jpg

Dean
Old 14 March 2007, 05:12 PM
scoob93
Scooby Regular

sorry i havent seen and to be honest im poo technically anyway so.................he claims he can try and fit it but probably jus cover it up and leave it loose....................will my car jus be a bag of nails if this happens?
Old 14 March 2007, 05:21 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

sorry i havent seen and to be honest im poo technically anyway so.................he claims he can try and fit it but probably jus cover it up and leave it loose....................will my car jus be a bag of nails if this happens?
You can drill the exhaust & weld a nut of the correct thread to it, then screw the Lambda in, Etc.

It,s not normally an issue running without a Lambda sensor as the Ecu uses a base Map, But normally becomes an issue at Mot Time, So prob best to get it fitted if it resides in the Down pipe.

Dean
Old 14 March 2007, 05:25 PM
scoob93
Scooby Regular

i THINK its at the bottom of my downpipe if i remember from when it was up on the ramps, so its ok to run without it but best to get it done?................the garage CLAIM it may use alot more fuel etc........................can some1 explain how etc thanks
Old 14 March 2007, 05:30 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DeanF
It,s not normally an issue running without a Lambda sensor as the Ecu uses a base Map, But normally becomes an issue at Mot Time, So prob best to get it fitted if it resides in the Down pipe.

Dean
As Per my 2nd Post

Dean
Old 14 March 2007, 05:35 PM
scoob93
Scooby Regular

thanks dean u do understand my concerns tho as a non technically minded fellow ive gta cover all bases haha!!................so in theory i'll lose the cat meaning it'll be more responsive and i SHOULDNT have a bag o nails on my hands?

Trending Topics

Old 14 March 2007, 05:38 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

thanks dean u do understand my concerns tho as a non technically minded fellow ive gta cover all bases haha!!................so in theory i'll lose the cat meaning it'll be more responsive and i SHOULDNT have a bag o nails on my hands?
Some people (Including myself) say that there cars actually run better without the Lambda. So no you should not have a bag of nails.
The lambda checks the Air/fuel ratio & sends a signal to the Ecu to trim/increase fuel etc, Alledgedly giving you the best performance / economy.

Dean
Old 14 March 2007, 06:04 PM
scoob93
Scooby Regular

cheers dean much appreciated

alan
Old 14 March 2007, 06:23 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Right.

Your lambda (or Oxygen sensor) is located in the headers on your car, not the downpipe.
The sensor the that is in your downpipe is a 'cat on fire' sensor.
Since you are decatting you don't need it, just trace it back to the plug and unplug it.
Old 14 March 2007, 06:25 PM
nessscoob
Scooby Regular

if your scoobs a 93 it should be the same as mine (94). I have a lambda sensor in the header collector pipes just before the up pipe that is connected. The other sensor is located in the cat convertor in the original downpipe. when I replaced the original with a decatted downpipe i did away with the sensor in the downpipe and car runs sweet. Also because your motor is a pre-september 95 it doesnt need to do the Cat emmisions test when it comes to MOT time!
Old 14 March 2007, 06:27 PM
scoob93
Scooby Regular

cheers fellaz, made up now i had a bit of a sweat on worryin haha,. roll on fridsy hey will my car be more responsive when de cat fitted?
Old 14 March 2007, 06:38 PM
nessscoob
Scooby Regular

yea man you should notice the differance staright away like. I fitted a 3 inch from the turbo back and found the turb spooled up a fair bit quicker. Get yerself some decent headers as well after i fitted mine it felt really torquey!
Old 14 March 2007, 07:11 PM
scoob93
Scooby Regular

cheers mate, cant wait for friday to come now haha!!...............shall i jus get the lambda covered up then?
Old 14 March 2007, 08:34 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

The lambda sensor as people above have said is in the headers collector box not the down pipe , the sensor in the down pipe is as above people said cat on fire and can be traced back to by the air box and unplugged and removed from the car , you do need a lambda fitted and working or the car go to fail safe and will run very rich as you are changing the exhaust from turbo back you are not touching the lambda sensor

Mark
Old 14 March 2007, 08:35 PM
scoob93
Scooby Regular

oh bugga ive just been reading some more threads and im now a little concerned bout this lambda thing, we sure its ok wivout one?
Old 14 March 2007, 11:38 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

hmmgph

If you get the garage to fit the exhaust you bought, you will still have the lambda sensor - they won't touch it, even if they and you think they are!

Your car will run fine, don't worry
Old 15 March 2007, 01:54 PM
scoob93
Scooby Regular

thanks mate i have been very concerned as am being told mixed things. so if they simply fit the full blue system they;ll not touch the lambda sensor?..................is my de cat system gna affect the day to day running of the car?
Old 15 March 2007, 03:00 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

thanks mate i have been very concerned as am being told mixed things. so if they simply fit the full blue system they;ll not touch the lambda sensor?..................is my de cat system gna affect the day to day running of the car?
Not wishing to appear Rude, But would you like one of the Scoobynet Crew to come & hold your hand whilst you have your exhaust fitted ??
As per many posts from many others above, Your car will be fine.
Stop worrying, You'll be Grey & bald before your Time

Dean
Old 15 March 2007, 04:45 PM
scoob93
Scooby Regular

quality post im actually laffing out loud!! im suitably embarrased haha. cheers dean

alan