Notices

SportCat downpipes - available 2nd hand ??

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2007, 09:00 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SportCat downpipes - available 2nd hand ??

I fancy a sportcat (ie highflow) Downpipe for my 01 WRX.

Can't afford the new H&S, which looks good, cos it's over £500 and I'd want to do other stuff too.

Have you ever seen anything similar 2nd hand ? (was thinking there might not be any around cos, well, what would the owner replace it with ?).

Where would I find one ?

Cheers for any thoughts,

Andy
Old 24 January 2007, 10:14 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are usually some Prodrive sports cats on SN or Ebay for around IRO £250.
STi PPP owners seem to dump them for a decat when going for a remap to 330 bhp , little do they realise that the Prodrive sports cat will still get them to that level.

Nick
Old 24 January 2007, 10:23 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
I fancy a sportcat (ie highflow) Downpipe for my 01 WRX.

Can't afford the new H&S, which looks good, cos it's over £500 and I'd want to do other stuff too.

Have you ever seen anything similar 2nd hand ? (was thinking there might not be any around cos, well, what would the owner replace it with ?).

Where would I find one ?

Cheers for any thoughts,

Andy
Andy, I think scoobyworld do the ninja DP with sports cat for £299 I have one, as does STiX and both of our cars are bang on the money re expected power outputs. Mine sailed past the MOT emissions test yesterday too and the car wouldn't have even been that hot!

Ns04
Old 24 January 2007, 10:35 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

New Scoob to the rescue ! Thanks to you and Chip Butty.

Where do I find StiX by the way ?

So it passed with only the dp cat ? What difference will I notice if I penny pinch and just leave the std cat d/pipe when (if !) changing turbo ? I'd change the up-pipe and already have the H&S decat centre.

Is the noise nicer with the decat up-pipe and sports cat dp ?

Cheers !
Old 24 January 2007, 12:16 PM
New_scooby_04

New Scoob to the rescue ! Thanks to you and Chip Butty.

Where do I find StiX by the way ?

So it passed with only the dp cat ? What difference will I notice if I penny pinch and just leave the std cat d/pipe when (if !) changing turbo ? I'd change the up-pipe and already have the H&S decat centre.

Is the noise nicer with the decat up-pipe and sports cat dp ?

Cheers !
Give StiX a PM, you can dsearch for people by username on the advanced search option mate! Just have a stab at the name and it narrows available members down for you automatically!

Yes, mine passed with just the Cat in the DP, you dont need the centre cat, bin it and get a good quality centre pipe from H&S. Go for the resonated though; more expensive, but worth it as non-responated don't half drone on the motorway, fun at first, very irritating after a while!!

Personally would not consider turbo change without sorting the DP first. Bigger turbo means higher spool threshold and more lag, a Decat/sports cat DP is perhaps the best thing you can do to assist the urbo spinning up. Mine came on song about 400rpm earlier with the sports cat DP and spooled up quicker (and that was the already quick spooling TD04) A decent DP will help negate the unwanted effects of the larger turbo.

My up pipe is std mate, so can't really comment on that. Should probably get it changed actually as it's not the most free flowing design on classics! Not so much an issue on the new ages, but IIRC the cat in them presents its own problems then! The sound is nicer with a decent DP, yes, you hear the turbo spooling up more and the rumble seems a bit deeper.

MY DP and headers are also heat wrapped (headers are also ported- suggest you do this if upgrading turbo too) this definately has an effect on the sound; takes the harshnes out of it and makes the rubble more mellow and seemingly deeper. Lovely!

Ns04
Old 24 January 2007, 12:33 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

There's a couple of Prodrive ones on ebay at the moment. One is brand new in packaging ?

Only issue you will have fitting a prodrive cat downpipe to a TD04 turbo is there is a piece of metal in the mouth of the pipe which needs some grinding down to fit - something and nothing.

If you are changing the up-pipe then do the downpipe at same time. Down has got to come off to get to the up and with the restriction of the standard cat in the downpipe I doubt decat up-pipe will help that much.
Old 24 January 2007, 12:37 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Give StiX a PM, you can dsearch for people by username on the advanced search option mate! Just have a stab at the name and it narrows available members down for you automatically!

Yes, mine passed with just the Cat in the DP, you dont need the centre cat, bin it and get a good quality centre pipe from H&S. Go for the resonated though; more expensive, but worth it as non-responated don't half drone on the motorway, fun at first, very irritating after a while!!

Personally would not consider turbo change without sorting the DP first. Bigger turbo means higher spool threshold and more lag, a Decat/sports cat DP is perhaps the best thing you can do to assist the urbo spinning up. Mine came on song about 400rpm earlier with the sports cat DP and spooled up quicker (and that was the already quick spooling TD04) A decent DP will help negate the unwanted effects of the larger turbo.

My up pipe is std mate, so can't really comment on that. Should probably get it changed actually as it's not the most free flowing design on classics! Not so much an issue on the new ages, but IIRC the cat in them presents its own problems then! The sound is nicer with a decent DP, yes, you hear the turbo spooling up more and the rumble seems a bit deeper.

MY DP and headers are also heat wrapped (headers are also ported- suggest you do this if upgrading turbo too) this definately has an effect on the sound; takes the harshnes out of it and makes the rubble more mellow and seemingly deeper. Lovely!

Ns04
Cheers NS04, your advice is much appreciated.

I already have the H & S centre pipe decat, deresonated. I find it fine on the motorway - doesn't drone. Not at all loud, but the burble is nice 'n' deep (but deeper is better, as the actress said to the Bishop !). My b/box is just the Prodrive version.

Am still humming and hawing between TD04 Hybrid and VF35. The TD04 is dearer, but i figured there wouldn't be a lot of need to have ported and wrapped headers with this turbo. The VF35 produces a bit more power, but then the TD04H should produce around 320bhp with STi intercooler, Walbro, exhaust bits, injectors etc - and I'm not sure I want to go much higher than that for the sake of my gearbox.

What do you reckon ?

cheers again,

Andy
Old 24 January 2007, 12:51 PM
Scooby Regular

I bought a full Graham Goode sport cat and system in 3'' right through for £200 on ebay. Needed a bit of tlc and 2 new clamps but now on the car.
Graham.

If you can buy NEW and buy the whole system.

Graham
Old 24 January 2007, 01:01 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
I bought a full Graham Goode sport cat and system in 3'' right through for £200 on ebay. Needed a bit of tlc and 2 new clamps but now on the car.
Graham.

Graham

cheers Graham.

Can't buy whole system as I already have H&S centre pipe. Would probably go new - but for Ninja through Scoobyworl to save a few quid.

Andy
Old 24 January 2007, 01:06 PM
spikester
Scooby Regular

There's also new sports cats on Ebay for £250.00
Old 24 January 2007, 02:36 PM
New_scooby_04

Cheers NS04, your advice is much appreciated.

I already have the H & S centre pipe decat, deresonated. I find it fine on the motorway - doesn't drone. Not at all loud, but the burble is nice 'n' deep (but deeper is better, as the actress said to the Bishop !). My b/box is just the Prodrive version.

Am still humming and hawing between TD04 Hybrid and VF35. The TD04 is dearer, but i figured there wouldn't be a lot of need to have ported and wrapped headers with this turbo. The VF35 produces a bit more power, but then the TD04H should produce around 320bhp with STi intercooler, Walbro, exhaust bits, injectors etc - and I'm not sure I want to go much higher than that for the sake of my gearbox.

What do you reckon ?

cheers again,

Andy
Andy,

You'd still benefit from better spool and more bhp with the ported headers even with the hybrid. I really would advocatre getting them wrapped at the very least, will help lots with underbonnet temps!

When I asked AndyF about how the hybrid compared to the VFs he said it was an intermediate between the TD04 and the VFs. I wanted a bigger shove, so I went with the VF35. Bob Rawle has also commented recently that for the bigger shove over spool, you should go for the VF35.

I'm sure that the TD04 hybrid does spool earlier and quicker, but I hardly think you'll be left wanting by a well set up VF35. It spools quickly too and at not far off the same point as my non-remapped TD04 did. The difference can seem bigger than it is cause the mid range and top end is so much bigger with the VF than the TD04

Not meant in any way as a criticism of the hybrid; horses for courses!

Regards,

Paul
Old 24 January 2007, 03:03 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

try the wanted section - come up trumps everytime for me
Old 24 January 2007, 04:59 PM
Scooby Regular

I think all the Ninjas are 3'' necking to 2.5''?
Ones I've seen at API look very well made/finished to me.

Graham
Old 24 January 2007, 05:11 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
I think all the Ninjas are 3'' necking to 2.5''?
Ones I've seen at API look very well made/finished to me.

Graham
Is the std exhaust 2.5" ? Will the Ninja slot into my H&S centre pipe do you think ?
Old 24 January 2007, 05:16 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Andy,

You'd still benefit from better spool and more bhp with the ported headers even with the hybrid. I really would advocatre getting them wrapped at the very least, will help lots with underbonnet temps!

When I asked AndyF about how the hybrid compared to the VFs he said it was an intermediate between the TD04 and the VFs. I wanted a bigger shove, so I went with the VF35. Bob Rawle has also commented recently that for the bigger shove over spool, you should go for the VF35.

I'm sure that the TD04 hybrid does spool earlier and quicker, but I hardly think you'll be left wanting by a well set up VF35. It spools quickly too and at not far off the same point as my non-remapped TD04 did. The difference can seem bigger than it is cause the mid range and top end is so much bigger with the VF than the TD04

Not meant in any way as a criticism of the hybrid; horses for courses!

Regards,

Paul

Paul, that's very interesting. When I contacted them, Bob Rawle suggested the VF35 whereas Andy F suggested the TD04 Hybrid ! Surely the TD04H must have just about as good a "shove" if it's producing around 320 bhp with supporting mods ? I suppose the problem is that few people have tried both !
Do you think the midrange "surge" is significantly better with the VF35 than the TD05 ?

Andy
Old 24 January 2007, 06:15 PM
New_scooby_04

Paul, that's very interesting. When I contacted them, Bob Rawle suggested the VF35 whereas Andy F suggested the TD04 Hybrid ! Surely the TD04H must have just about as good a "shove" if it's producing around 320 bhp with supporting mods ? I suppose the problem is that few people have tried both !
Do you think the midrange "surge" is significantly better with the VF35 than the TD05 ?

Andy
Andy,

I couldn't say for sure mate as I've not had first hand experience of both turbos. It's the torque that gives you the shove though, so maybe the VFs superiority lies here (??) Maybe its just a trick of the manner in which its delivered as opposed to peak figures per se. I know Bob has mapped Td04 hybrids and VF35s if that helps. However, I strongly suspect Andy has too!

You can get a VF35 significantly cheaper than a TD04 hybrid though. I doubt there is enough between them (well mapped) to justify paying much more for one than the other so on that basis, it's the VF35 4 moi!!
Old 24 January 2007, 06:21 PM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
Graham.

Graham
Was it that one I fwd to you - any good ?
Old 24 January 2007, 08:56 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Andy,

I couldn't say for sure mate as I've not had first hand experience of both turbos. It's the torque that gives you the shove though, so maybe the VFs superiority lies here (??) Maybe its just a trick of the manner in which its delivered as opposed to peak figures per se. I know Bob has mapped Td04 hybrids and VF35s if that helps. However, I strongly suspect Andy has too!

You can get a VF35 significantly cheaper than a TD04 hybrid though. I doubt there is enough between them (well mapped) to justify paying much more for one than the other so on that basis, it's the VF35 4 moi!!
Can't help thinking that if two turbos are producing similar power outputs and they're both responsive, then they must have a simlar "shove". I wonder if the feel of the VF35 is a bit more dramatic cos the TD04 Hybrid has a broader power band ? Still quite hard to decide, with the TD04H and the VF35, i can't help noticing that folk tend to say the one they have on the car is best ! (not just you, but hybrid owners too !).

Doubt there's so much in it costwise - if you fit the sports cat D/p, then you already have a low spool up with the TD04H and I wouldn't see the need for the additional cost of porting (dunno if anybody does that up here and i wouldn't go to Engerland just for that).

Thanks again by the way.

Andy

PS how do you feel about spending a fortune on your car ?