Notices

Forester S Turbo ? shagged boost solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2007, 01:11 AM
Gatwick Axe Man
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Forester S Turbo ? shagged boost solenoid

I'm having some seriouse problems with my (w)reg 2000 Forester S Turbo, unmodified except for K & N air filter.

As and when it feels like it the engine shuts down, no warning, no lights nothing it just stops doesn't seem to matter if it's hot, cold fast or slow it stops. After 10 minutes or longer the engine fires up and off we go. After we start up again the car runs badly and has what can only be described as a angry growl when under power and feels as though it wants to cut out when I come of the gas.

I've been through the forums on this and a couple of other sites and I think I've narrowed it down to oil contamination of the boost solenoid, (overfilled the oil a whileback) but couldn't find any trace of oil in the pipes that conect to the actual solenoid. Could the oil been "in" the solenoid and should I check "all" the pipes between the manifold and turbo inlet ? I read somewhere that WD40 into the pipes and solenoid will do the trick if anyone can give me a complete run through of how to do "the clean" I would be most greatfull.

Also being a Forester do I have the same green and black connectors under the dash ? I had a "quick" look and couldn't find them, and the solenoid isnt exactly the same but has all the same conections.

I've also replaced the following; fuel fillter, Cam sensor & Crank sensor (cost me $585) I've cleaned and oiled the air filter , checked the MAF (engine complained big time when disconected) and drained 3/4 litre of oil (GTX magnatec) to take the level just under the full mark.

I've pretty much run out of ideas appart from cleaning the boost solenoid, it's our main car and we are pretty much stuffed. The local dealer was next to usless wanted to replace the fuel pump and charge us $1000, not! Unfortunatly we are living in Australia (brought the car with us) and there isn't the back up that we could get at home.

So if any one has any ideas/tips or suggestions please let me know, until now I've never had a problem with the car!
Old 03 January 2007, 08:22 AM
Nich B
Scooby Regular

Go here

www.subaruforester.com

Check out either the European section or Australia section

fuel pump is an hours job and a Walbro is £85

If it just dies with electrics all Aok then its fuelling

Had a similar problem on a totally unrelated vehicle, turned out to be blocked vent on fuel tank which created a vacuum that built up over a couple of minutes after 5 it would start again and so on, try leaving the filler cap off or loose to see

You might get some more helpful ideas from the good people here, so feel free to ignore me lol

Stb IHIHVF35, Power FC, AVC-R, Full decat, etc etc

NichB
Old 03 January 2007, 08:23 AM
martinholmesuk
Scooby Newbie

Hello,

I used ISO-propyl alcohol to clean my boost valve and noticed it did run better. I have a problem where mine runs rich all the time so I'm replacing my o2 sensor.

If I was you i'd see if you have a local subaru club and borrow a MAF and see how it goes.

Does it switch off while just driving it or dies at the traffic lights?