Notices

petrol smell in the cabin

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2006, 09:37 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default petrol smell in the cabin

OK, I realise this is a tricky one to diagnose, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had an uprated fuel pump fitted to my 03 WRX, it has been fine for the last couple of weeks.

However, last Friday I pushed the car really hard around a roundabout, on completing the journey I noticed a strong petrol smell in the cabin and outside.

This smell is now continuing but only if I push the car hard!!, if I'm tootling along in traffic, no smell, If I'm caining it smell.

It seems to be coming from the driver's side of the car, but I can't work out whether from the engine bay or rear wheel area.
Visual inspection has revealed nothing.

Can anyone point to anywhere I should be looking before my car bursts into flames?

thanks
Old 07 December 2006, 10:17 PM
Snowy_RA
Scooby Regular

I don't have knowledge of the new age cars however..

Way back in the day when I had my 95 WRX RA's fuel pump uprated I noted that the mechanic removed my rear seats and opened a panel under the drivers side rear passenger seat to reveal the fuel pump.

If it's in the same location on new age cars, and it's not been fitted correctly then presumably it's chucking fuel out here. I would take it back carefully to the modifier and let them know your getting a strong smell of fuel.

Sorry best I can do not knowing if the later models have the fuel pump in the same location.

Snowy
Old 07 December 2006, 10:56 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If i was you i would take the boot mat out and there will be a tin cover at the right handside of the boot at the front remove this and have a look and see if they have refited the rubber gasket properly between the tank and the mounting plate and also check your fuel pipes are on securly
Old 09 December 2006, 11:06 AM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

As above when I had a uprated pump fitted to my bug there was a strong smell of petrol fixed by using a new gasket and plenty of red hermitite. Just hope I don't have to take the pump out in the future.