Notices

where could i get temp switch to activate my ic fan?

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2006, 11:08 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default where could i get temp switch to activate my ic fan?

my intercooler fan is just wired up to an on/off switch at the moment but id like to make it activate automaticly at a chosen temperature so im in need of a suitable temp switch, has anyone got any ides?
heres the thread....

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...oler-fans.html
Old 12 October 2006, 11:20 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have a fan switch that had a probe that just pushed through the fins on the radiator, i don't see why the intercooler couldn't work the same way, you don't really want something actually 'in' the inlet path, but it's the intercooler you're clearly trying to keep cool after-all.....
I think i got it from Merlin Motorsport at Castle Combe, not sure if they still do them though, then again, i can't gaurentee that the temp range would be suitable either.....

Worth a look though....

TRIPAC - RAD FAN THERMOSTAT ADJUSTABLE - RAD-THERM-ADJ - WWW.MERLINMOTORSPORT.CO.UK -

Last edited by RON; 12 October 2006 at 11:42 PM.
Old 13 October 2006, 05:49 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RON
I used to have a fan switch that had a probe that just pushed through the fins on the radiator, i don't see why the intercooler couldn't work the same way, you don't really want something actually 'in' the inlet path, but it's the intercooler you're clearly trying to keep cool after-all.....
I think i got it from Merlin Motorsport at Castle Combe, not sure if they still do them though, then again, i can't gaurentee that the temp range would be suitable either.....

Worth a look though....

TRIPAC - RAD FAN THERMOSTAT ADJUSTABLE - RAD-THERM-ADJ - WWW.MERLINMOTORSPORT.CO.UK -
cheers mate, that would be ideal but like you say its proberly a different heat range as a radiator gets loads hotter.

i might start looking at what the inlet temps are when the radiator fans kick in because i could just wire it to the radiator fan switch so that ic fan comes on with the rad fans.
Old 13 October 2006, 07:37 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

James.... rad fan operation might be of no use...... the fans main use would be to negate heat soak,during normal use he rad fan will cut in and out as the coolant heats up to switch fan on,cools down and then fan cuts out...... this happens constantly in a cycle and would i think be useless as a means of combatting heat soak into the intercooler which is dependant on air flow through the scoop and time spent sitting at traffic lights etc when there is less of a flow so internal air temp increases...... not sure how yo are going to do it,but as previously suggested a temp probe in the intercooler fins that actually measures the temp will be the best way,alternaivly the temp probe i use has the extra feature of an alarm setting should temp rises too much..... this in theory can activate a warning bell/buzzer etc to notify you..... cant see why it couldnt also activate a fan switch?....... if the fans are there to keep the inlet temp down,they should be inlet temp controlled if at all possible
Old 13 October 2006, 10:51 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rigga
James.... rad fan operation might be of no use...... the fans main use would be to negate heat soak,during normal use he rad fan will cut in and out as the coolant heats up to switch fan on,cools down and then fan cuts out...... this happens constantly in a cycle and would i think be useless as a means of combatting heat soak into the intercooler which is dependant on air flow through the scoop and time spent sitting at traffic lights etc when there is less of a flow so internal air temp increases...... not sure how yo are going to do it,but as previously suggested a temp probe in the intercooler fins that actually measures the temp will be the best way,alternaivly the temp probe i use has the extra feature of an alarm setting should temp rises too much..... this in theory can activate a warning bell/buzzer etc to notify you..... cant see why it couldnt also activate a fan switch?....... if the fans are there to keep the inlet temp down,they should be inlet temp controlled if at all possible
cheers mate, yeah your totally right, it also says on my charge air temp display that it can be wired to a water injection system. theres no connectors on it tho so i carnt really be bothered to take it apart and start soldering, i was just hoping to come across a simple adjustable temp switch with two connections on it.
Old 13 October 2006, 10:55 PM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

Location: ESSEX ...BORN AND BRED PETROL HEAD....................... MANS BEST FRIEND IS A ENGLISH BULL TERRIER

TRIED LOOKING AT THE KENLOW FAN SWITCH THATS ADJUSTABLE
Old 14 October 2006, 11:52 AM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KIPS
TRIED LOOKING AT THE KENLOW FAN SWITCH THATS ADJUSTABLE
cheers mate, who sells these switches?
Old 14 October 2006, 11:57 AM
KIPS
Scooby Regular

Location: ESSEX ...BORN AND BRED PETROL HEAD....................... MANS BEST FRIEND IS A ENGLISH BULL TERRIER

KENLOWE
heres their main site so you can read up and get part no
try deamon tweaks, burton engineering or any tuning spares shop these are quite common halfords might even be able to help
kip
Old 14 October 2006, 12:02 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KIPS
KENLOWE
heres their main site so you can read up and get part no
try deamon tweaks, burton engineering or any tuning spares shop these are quite common halfords might even be able to help
kip
thanks i,ll have a look.