Notices

BOOST PRESSURE FOR APEXI AVCR

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2006, 03:35 PM
scoobydoo4u
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool BOOST PRESSURE FOR APEXI AVCR

hiya guys , a pleasure to join the forum , im no longer a scooby virgin, ive just bought a lovely 98 uk

a bit cheeky i know but my first post comes in the form of a question.

the car has all the usual light mods panel filter , scoobysport stainless system, P1 allys, koni adjustables,
ive just added a stainless downpipe

it also has the apexi avcr boost controller...... my question is this , its goin for a ecutek map next month, but unitl then how much boost can i run through the standard internals without putting to much stress on them ??, its running 0.8 bar at the min on 48% duty
anyone any ideas on what i can run the duty at and the boost pressure??

2ndly is it worth getting the up-pipe and headers changed ? £450 is a lot to spend if there not goin to make a huge difference on performance or engine longjevity?

thanks for looking guys and look foward to ure responses
iain
Old 09 October 2006, 05:30 PM
scoobydoo4u
Scooby Regular

Old 09 October 2006, 09:27 PM
scoobydoo4u
Scooby Regular

anyone please????
Old 09 October 2006, 10:13 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

I ain't no expert mate but seeing as no-one has replied i'll have a go If it's only a month till your remap i'd leave the boost alone till it's been set up ok.0.8 Bar isn't a lot and sound to me like standard boost? Think 12 psi is standard?

Ditching the CATS before the Remap is a good idea IMO is your sytem a CAT back item? If not get a decent downpipe either without the CTA or with a high flow sports CAT like the Ninja.Even before the remap you will see a really noticable difference in the drivability and performance with the turbo spooling quicker and the remap will expoit this even more.I'd say leave the headers and maybe get save for uprated STI internals like crank etc that the UK engine's didn't benefit from.An FMIC would be an idea when upping the boost but i think without uprating the internals of the engine your wasting your time.

As i've said i ain't no expert but that's what i'd do.
Old 09 October 2006, 10:22 PM
scoobydoo4u
Scooby Regular

cheers for the response alan , just found out that ecutek is for 99- so wont be goin for the map just yet, good job i didnt book it in , would have looked like a right muppet!! ive only had it a week and already fitted downpipe , alot cripser throttle response and noticable mid range power increase, it still amazes me how much power u can free up from the japmobiles for so little money!!
Old 09 October 2006, 10:22 PM
scoobydoo4u
Scooby Regular

forgive my ignorance but ........... FMIC????
Old 09 October 2006, 10:31 PM
DIPSY
Scooby Regular

FMIC is front mount intercooler and you don't have to change internals .There some on here running 350 and more on standard internals
Old 10 October 2006, 09:53 AM
scoobydoo4u
Scooby Regular

thanks again dipsy............ anyone know anything about what duty i should be running?
Old 10 October 2006, 12:36 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

you will be safe running about 1 bar. There are a few ways of doing this with the avcr, you can just adjust the duty until you get the desired boost, or you can actually adjust the boost level itself to try to hit the boost target.

What I have found is higher duty gives a faster response (on my pathetic vf10 turbo anyway)

If you are adjusting the duty, just do it in small increments of say 5% at a time, if you overshoot your target boost, reduce the duty by 1 until you get a stable target. Be aware though with the weather now getting colder, with the avcr set up like this, you may experience an overboost situation that could result in fuel cut.

Basically just have a play about with the 2 settings but dont go silly
Old 10 October 2006, 12:56 PM
scoobydoo4u
Scooby Regular

cheers jay......... had a play this morning and have now got it set at 0.8 bar and 62% duty , seems to be going alot better , turbo seems to be spooling alot quicker and get a def kick in the back now rather than a gradual pull i had before
regards iain
Old 10 October 2006, 03:43 PM
redscoobymann
Scooby Regular

Fitted the avcr to my mates car yesterday, and i got one on mine too. Set his target boost to 1.0 bar and the duty to 65%, which is a prety safe setting to have it on as he has only just got the car and is still getting used to it. It still kicks fairly hard when the boost comes in but it could go higher. mine is running at 1.1 bar but i have had it as high as 1.2 bar, but i got an FMIC, full custom turbo back exhaust with no cats, and a performance exhaust manifold(which made loads of difference to pic up and boost).My car does a 13.8 1/4 mile at pod and i think most of that is down to the avcr, good bit of kit!!

i think maybe you would be safer leaving ya boost lower until ya get used to the car, but you can definately go higher than 0.8 bar. just raise the boost and lower the duty untill you get a level you are happy with.

Last edited by redscoobymann; 10 October 2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10 October 2006, 04:27 PM
scoobydoo4u
Scooby Regular

thanks matey........ i was havin a mess around with it this morning , and it the fuel cut kept jumping in (overboost) when i had it running higher boost and lower duty, so i upped the boost and dropped the duty right down but didnt pull aswell???? it was running 1.1 bar boost and 30% which was the happy medium i found so as not to over boost......... but when i lowered the boost and upped the duty it pulled much harder from 3000rpm ............. ive had a r32 gtr and an evo3 in the past so im used to the power just not used to messing aroung with the duty the APEXI is a new toy for me.
ive got full de-cat system and downpipe , no FMIC yet.
if u upped the boost and dropped th duty right down to say 20% surely the turbo wouldnt spool up as quickly? im more interested in usable on road power rather than 1/4 mile speed , so have i got it set up right ( or at least nearly right)??
thanks iain
Old 10 October 2006, 07:32 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

it all depends on your preference both ways are right, its just where you want the tradeoff
Old 10 October 2006, 08:24 PM
scoobydoo4u
Scooby Regular

but am i right in thinking that the higher the duty the quicker the turbo spools ?
Old 10 October 2006, 09:34 PM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

You should have gear judge on and calibrated.
Feedback sensitivity should be left as standard (3)
Chose the boost profile you want then test in 4th gear starting from low duty increasing until you start to hit target boost.
When hitting target boost get someone to observe what duty the avcr is having to run (with the sol on monitor).
Then set duty to 1% less than what was required to hold target boost in 4th.
4th gear should now be sorted.
Gears 1st to 3rd will likely not be hitting target so increase their start duty gradually until you hit target in each gear.
5th gear may be over-boosting slightly so reduce start duty to prevent this.
I tend to deliberately set it to overboost by 0.05 bar in each gear (using the start duty setting) as this gives more aggressive spool without oscillation.

Si
Old 10 October 2006, 09:49 PM
scoobydoo4u
Scooby Regular

thanks si spot on matey