Notices

How can the slanty top I/C be improved?

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2006, 07:56 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can the slanty top I/C be improved?

I know you can fit a air splitter and fit a tilt kit, but they wont prevent heat soak in traffic and do they work that well on a hot day?

would it help prevent heat soak by wrapping something around the intercooler to reflect the heat from the turbo/downpipe and engine? or something like exhaust wrap to absorbe the heat so it does not soak into the metal of the IC?

what about painting it a bright colour, black attracks heat doesnt it? or is that just from the sunlight?

I know I could change the intercooler to a larger top mount so i dont need people telling me this but the car is not mapped for a larger intercooler or does that not matter for a slightly larger one?

I'm just trying to prevent heatsoak and to try and prevent any det that might occur in hot weather. any tips will be appreciated, cheers.
GAZ
Old 20 September 2006, 08:08 PM
st3v3
Scooby Regular

If you wrap anything around it you will find you will be containing the heat and also the cool air will not be able to pass throught the fins of the cooler to actualy cool the hot air inside it.
Maybe one of the better ways is to fit a water spray kit and set it to spray on to the cooler at a certain temp,although some people do see this more of a gimmick,im sure it can help heat soak.
Old 20 September 2006, 08:16 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

cheers ste, I'm not sure on the water idea my self as its means adding more weight to the car and the water will have to be fairly cold to make much of a difference i think.

Btw i didnt mean wrap the whole intercooler in something i just meant around the edge. so it doesnt block the fins off. its just i noticed after a drive the finned bit is cool as it should be due to air passing through it but the solid metal edge of the intercooler is very hot especially near the turbo.

does anyone think it would be a benefit to create thin metal heat sheild type thing to go around the edge of the intercooler to stop heat getting to the edge?
Old 20 September 2006, 09:14 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also worth trying to get the rubber hosing for it from an STi phase 1 intercooler.. but by far the best improvement is to replace it with a newer cars intercooler..

Simon
Old 20 September 2006, 11:50 PM
Puppetmaster
Scooby Regular

You can always try a CO2 or NO2 intercooler spray system
Old 21 September 2006, 12:21 AM
Scooby Senior

Have a look on flat4 s thread in projects, you will find a couple of small fans under his
Old 21 September 2006, 01:14 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Auto water spray is a cheaper option to help TMIC's for sure...I noticed the difference on hot days using my APS TMIC with auto spray - spray mist does reduce TMIC temps more than it does FMIC's as the general running temps are always higher on TMIC's. My FMIC runs upto 30-35 degs maybe slightly more even at 1.6 bar, but my TMIC used to run 50+ with 1.3 bar...

You can also do water injection (something I'm using!)...that will help also.
Old 21 September 2006, 01:42 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why pay lots of money for water injection when a newer tmic with a little effort will fit on and do a much more consistent job?

Simon