Notices

Fresh 2001 JDM STI - What to do first?

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2006, 11:53 AM
Waitrose Carpark
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fresh 2001 JDM STI - What to do first?

Hello people

I have a JDM 2001 STi down at the docks so whilst I wait for SVA etc to be done I just want to make sure I do everything right.

I don't bomb it around anywhere and couldn't care less about how many bhp it kicks out but would like to take care of it the best I can. I have ordered an afterburner vortex exhaust which is going straight on and was wondering whether a remap would be wise. Like I said, power is not such an issue for me but I would like to minimise the chances of any problems. I intend to run it on that Tesco Super...

Any other recommendations or things I should do as priority?
Old 21 September 2006, 02:27 PM
KenS55STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the oil and filter changed so you know what oil is in it and how many miles it has done / how long it has been in there.
Buy some octane booster. I have the same car and on the standard map and a decat exhaust it still dets above 5000rpm with tesco 99 or vpower. This may be the best we can get but it isn't as good as what it really needs. It stops when I use 1ml of NF per litre in the fuel.
Get a knocklink fitted, if it is detting you will at least know about it and be able to drive around it until you get it sorted out.
If you decat the exhaust then the car will overboost and as well as being prone to det it will feel jerky when driving, usually when accelerating from cruise on the motorway. This I also know from experience.