Notices

Wires / plugs from engine bay to cabin ..

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2006, 05:49 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Wires / plugs from engine bay to cabin ..

What do most people do to get wiring looms with big plugs through the bulkhead, from engine bay to driver cabin?

e.g. AVC-R, SVA Gauges, knocklink etc.

I used a hole by the clutch cylinder for previous wires, but it's full, and in any case can't fit the AVCR 12 pin plug or gauge multiblock through hole!!

Are there other holes I haven't found in bulkhead with room fo more / large plugs, or has anyone cut a new hole / made existing hole bigger?

Any problems with wires rubbing if cut new / bigger ..?

Thanks

Neil

PS early Classic JDM wagon.
Old 08 September 2006, 09:08 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having never seen one of these units, I presume that the multi-plug is for connecting another part of the loom that connects to various parts of the engine to the unit.
1. Are the cables that connect to the engine long enough to allow the multi-plug to be located behind the dash?
2. Can the wires be unplugged from the unit and then fed into the passenger compartment from the engine bay?

These are a couple of ideas but as I said I have no knowledge of this actual unit. Hope you get it sorted safely and easily.
Old 08 September 2006, 09:48 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers Ste,

The sensors etc. seem to come with their own wiring loom to connect in car units to those bits fitted in teh engine bay; these connections have a plastic molex type plug at each end, maybe 8 - 12 pins, so is anywhere from 3/4 " by 1/4 " to 1 1/4 " by 1/2 " ...

The bulkhead has few / small holes, maybe 1/2 - 3/4 " diameter the one I used before, so the plugs won't physically fit through!

Others have cut and soldered wires ( I am poor at soldering! ) or dismantled the plug and rebuilt it after, but at least 2 of the 4 plugs I have I can't find the release lever in the plug that retains the connector to allow removal of the wire/crimped connector!

These seem to be holes in bulkhead with big rubber grommits for the air con pipes and main loom cable, but I can't find them under dash ( on passenger side ) so must be well up under dash.

Still stuck a bit I am afraid.

Neil
Old 09 September 2006, 08:37 AM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Bump.
Old 09 September 2006, 10:25 AM
spaspeckerthedull
Scooby Regular

you could try an old alarm installers trick - AT YOUR OWN RISK THOUGH!! just straighten out an old metal coathanger and push this through the grommet and wiggle it CAREFULLY and SLOWLY until it comes out in the cabin - don't just ram it through as you could cause no end of problems. A spray of WD40 helps. Once through just tape your wires to the other end, another quick spray and carefully pull through, sometimes it helps if you use a back and forth "sawing" motion to help if it gets stuck. If you pull the coathanger through and the wires come off, just pull everything clear and try again. This is how I ran the cables for my amp power and my alarm siren (I'm an installer) If you find that the plugs that are on the ends are too big, then personally I would cut them off about 5 - 6 inches up the loom, strip the wires back (once through) and reconnect them - I notice you said you weren't very good at soldering - so you could possibly use butt connecters that crimp the two ends of the wire back together, a bit time consuming but a possible solution

hope this helps
Old 11 September 2006, 10:06 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers Spaspeckerthedull, ( Hope your arm grows back! )

I use that trick to fire into odd places, for knocklink, previous boost controller, just stuck this time with the BIG plugs on the couple of items I wanna fit!
(I use spades and butt connectors and scotchlocks usually, but a bit clumsy when there are 12 wires in a 1" plug with v.thin wires! ) (Really must learn how to solder and get a decent iron! ).

Anyway, over the weekend, I removed the gromit from the currently used hole, hacksawed a couple of small cuts outwards ( hacksaw blade deep olny! ) from the hole, and bent out the cut metal to make a couple of slots to wiggle the plugs through ( AVC-R was now easy! ) and will use a split pipe / hose over all the wires when I am finished installing to protect the wires from rubbing on the metal edges.

So I may be sorted.

Only the SPA gauges to get trough now, but they are the bigger plugs.
Old 11 September 2006, 11:35 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on the other side lower down there is the triangular gromit for the air con..
the gromit is there whether you have air con or not and can by used with air con installed or not to pass plenty of wiring though.. I even have a 12mm thick pipe going through mine for detcan connection, wideband lead, MSD wiring, SPA oil, SPA fuel etc.. and I have the aircon heater matrix pipes through there still too.. but rest of air con removed..

Simon
Old 14 September 2006, 06:07 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks Simon, I found that gig air con grommit, but couldn't find the other side in cab!

For now I have cut and rolled back just a little the hole I am using by clutch slave sylinder, so a plug can be wriggled through, then refit grommit!

Ta

Neil
Old 14 September 2006, 06:16 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It comes out above the ecu and below the heater matrix..

once you find the hole it is easy to find again (in the bulk head under the dash you dirty minded person! )

If you put a piece of wire through it you should find it above the ecu etc..

but sounds like it is sorted anyway.

Simon
Old 14 September 2006, 08:23 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Put some hair round it... should find the hole easy enough then.

Andy