Engine problem. oil level?

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2006, 08:23 PM
Galley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine problem. oil level?

Help!

I've recently spent a fortune on having my engine rebuilt. After keeping the revs under 4k for just over 1000miles i had the oil and filter changed. this was done last week.

Now, two or three times while making my may up the revs towards 4.5 - 5k. the car has lost power and it feels almost like the brakes have been slammed on! i've also noticed that the dump valve occasionally releases/fails the hold the boost at 3-4k revs.

i've not had a chance to check the oil level yet, could this be a case of them over filling?
Old 30 August 2006, 08:56 PM
Evilc
Scooby Newbie

I've had something similar but not quite as dramatic.
First service I had with the scooby they 'slightly' overfilled the oil. and it just didn't seem to pick up on the turbo between 4.5 - 5k infact it slowed down. Not quite hitting the brakes but more sort of bogged.
If you look at the dip stick there is a bottom hole, top hole and then a notch. If the oil is above the top hole then it's over filled (only check this when cold mind, the top notch shows the max when hot). To be honest even if it's near the top hole then it could give problems as it can block the boost solenoid. My garage now only fill to about 8/10ths below the max line to stop this problem. Hope this helps.
Old 30 August 2006, 09:52 PM
Galley
Scooby Regular

just checked the oil level and it was right on if not just above the line. i'll check it again in the morning.