Notices

help with MY93 please?

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2006, 06:55 PM
fcuk1_6
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with MY93 please?

got a prob with my '93 wrx . boost is only getting to 0.5 bar max but usually not as high as that.fault code 44 (boost control solenoid)shown and when reset comes back after 100 yards of driving. items replaced so far- (to no avail) -
boost control solenoid(2nd hand)
boost control solenoid(known good one from a mates car)
timing belt and all pullies replaced and timing and tension double and triple checked
most sensors substituted with good ones from mates car
full service genuine subaru parts
compressions checked, 125psi all round and reached no probs
blitz boost controller fitted-doesnt affect reading on guage
all vacuum pipes checked
oil and coolant levels checked.
what am i doing wrong? dont have pin data to check ecu. dont know what else to check. any help greatly appreciated.
Im thinking the ECU must be faulty?
Old 28 March 2006, 10:19 PM
stevieboy
Scooby Newbie

imagine just blagging my text. post that link and ill print off the data.
Old 29 March 2006, 09:06 PM
fcuk1_6
Scooby Regular

right, we tested the pinouts of the ecu and the only indiscressions were:
the 02 sensor read 0.32V on ignition (should be 0.6V), at idle is 0.3V (should be 0.7-1 or 0-0.2 depending on wether its runin rich or lean) and at no time varied reading.
the map sensor when cold read only 1v when cold and 2.7v once warm on ignition where it should be 2.4-2.7v, would this cause an error/check engine light situation when run cold? when idle reads 1.38v (should be 1.4-1.6).
Any ideas, opinions or suggestions people,looking for any help possible here guys.
Oh and does any1 know what the self shutoff control is?
Old 29 March 2006, 09:19 PM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've not left it in diagnostics mode have you?? in diag mode it will always run 0.5 bar..
Old 29 March 2006, 09:34 PM
vessy
Scooby Regular

Your MAP voltages seem good, mine are 2.7 static and about 1.3v at warm idle, 0.5v change is about 3.8 psi from memory. I would be a bit worried about the 1v when cold, maybe check again.

O2 voltage is never good until the probe has warmed up, i replaced mine because the heater was open circuit, took ages to read properly, now it's fixed it ramps from 0.2-0.7 at idle after about 10 secs, take the plug off the sensor to check heater resistance. Mine still shows about 0.3v when engine not running.

O2 sensor shouldn't cause the ECU to limit boost though, it's not used above 3000 rpm anyway.

Did you check the restrictor isn't blocked, the bottom pipe from the boost solenoid which goes to the air intake has the restrictor in place, you should be able to blow through it, this is where the wastegate actuator vents too.

I dont know if the ECU throws up error 44 if it cant control boost (blocked restrictor) or if it detects the solenoid is out of limits, have you checked the solenoid resistance?

Hope this helps.
Old 30 March 2006, 08:27 PM
stevieboy
Scooby Newbie

Did you check the restrictor isn't blocked, the bottom pipe from the boost solenoid which goes to the air intake has the restrictor in place, you should be able to blow through it, this is where the wastegate actuator vents too.

what happens when you replace the solenoid with a blitz controller and use the blue silicone pipes that come with it?
Old 30 March 2006, 10:52 PM
vessy
Scooby Regular

Pass, never fitted one. I guess like you say you use the pipes that come with it, the scoob solenoid works on a duty cycle, Blitz maybe different.
Old 11 April 2006, 11:28 AM
fcuk1_6
Scooby Regular

cracked turbo replaced but still not working.
Would anyone be so kind as to loan us an ECU to try to test if its mayb an ecu fault as we really have run out of ideas!!! Even if its still on the car we can do a quick test and swap straight back