Notices

illegal or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2006, 09:52 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default illegal or not?

when putting a new engine into your car is it illegal to roll the clock back to what new engine has done? (miles)
Old 09 April 2006, 10:20 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're talking Scoob, i'm 99% sure you can't do it anyway cos the trip is electronic.... mind you, someone clever with electronics may be able to.....
Old 09 April 2006, 10:22 PM
thedeester1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gray area really the miles on the clock are not just there to guage the engine. they also guage the gearbox the wheel bearings etc etc. It is a criminal offence to sell a clocked car! Thats all i can say. you can get it adjusted cause its not a criminal offence to adjust it. As the seller though you are "knowingly breaking the law"

Last edited by thedeester1; 09 April 2006 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09 April 2006, 10:25 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thedeester1
Gray area really the miles on the clock are not just there to guage the engine. they also guage the gearbox the wheel bearings etc etc. It is a criminal offence to sell a clocked car! Thats all i can say. you can get it adjusted cause its not a criminal offence to adjust it. As the seller though you are "knowingly breaking the law"
Thats true my friend ,well thats cleared that up
Old 09 April 2006, 10:35 PM
morpheous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thedeester1

Tell me more i was told it couldnt be done my miles reads 205k lol
Old 09 April 2006, 10:42 PM
thedeester1
Scooby Regular

someone with the right software could do it. But then youd break the law when you sold the car!

Thats why in second hand car showrooms they have stickers saying they cannot guarantee mileage on anything that doesnt have a full dealer service history!

Are you married? I could take a rough guess at the milage of your car if you made it 10k miles. Look at the steering wheel. the wedding ring wears it out.. HINT..

Last edited by thedeester1; 09 April 2006 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09 April 2006, 10:57 PM
Sti_Pete
Scooby Regular

there are plenty of people who can adjust mileage in the back of autotrader, it's true if u sell the car on it is advisable to tell them what u have done.

Trending Topics

Old 09 April 2006, 10:59 PM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

Originally Posted by powerwrx
when putting a new engine into your car is it illegal to roll the clock back to what new engine has done? (miles)
It's my understanding that its only illegal if you don't tell a potential buyer what you've done.

What about people that need new clocks as part of vandal damage? Same situation...
Old 09 April 2006, 11:05 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamesemt
It's my understanding that its only illegal if you don't tell a potential buyer what you've done.

What about people that need new clocks as part of vandal damage? Same situation...
This is another valid point, so we're on the fence then boys and girls some say yes some say no,
Old 09 April 2006, 11:14 PM
thedeester1
Scooby Regular

yea thats true but whats the point if your gonna tell. If you get a new engine they will usually give you an invoice with mileage on it. If they dont, ask for one. If you did it yourself its tricky. the point is if you advertise a car that had mileage reset and the buyer asks the mileage your still selling a high mileage car with a new engine. If you lie about the mileage your still "knowingly breaking the law". If you advertise your car at 10k then declare thats only the engine mileage and tell the viewer that its actually 90k then you are "false advertising". There isnt any point clocking a car if your honest!
keep the numbers and get the proof on paper.
I must admit the faulty speed'o' is a tricky one but again if you advertise that mileage it false advertising.
Look im not whiter than white. its only an offence if you get caught in your dodgey scam. Im just telling you the law.

Last edited by thedeester1; 09 April 2006 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10 April 2006, 12:38 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

It's not illegal as long as you tell any future buyer of what the previous mileage was before the speedometer change. Documented evidence will help (service history, old MOT's etc).

Although I can't see the point....bear in mind. New engine, ok....but what about the gearbox, the diffs, the clutch, the wheel bearings, the steering, Bushes, shocks etc... The mileage should reflect these too

Passing the altered mileage reading as geniune is where you'll get into trouble.
Old 10 April 2006, 08:14 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

IIRC its Legal to change the whole speedo for one with a lower mileage if its damaged for example, but you MUST tell the new owners... But tampering with the mileage with the sheer intention of making a car look like it has done less miles is illigal.
Old 10 April 2006, 01:57 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

In my mind, regardless of the legalities, the odometer records the mileage of "the car" - not a component of it, ie the engine. The essence of a car is its chassis & therefore mileage should be true to that. Any componenbt change (engine, gearbox, transmission etc) should be fully documented additionally).... That said, it's ok to recalibrate kms to miles as long as this to is documented....
Old 10 April 2006, 06:21 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

As above, I can't see why you would want to (apart from the obvious ), the car has covered what the car has covered, regardless of what new parts have been fitted during that time, mileage reflects more than just one part of it... just record the mileage when the new engine was fitted, ideally on the receipt..
Old 11 April 2006, 10:47 AM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

If you correct the km's readding, im sure that if you sell the vehicle, you have to disclose that the adjustment has been made, and when. If you dont, then you are breaking the law.

eg:-, if your car was broken into and the clocks where damaged, you'd have to replace them, you cant run without them, so you wouldnt be breaking the law to have new clocks fitted that would initially read 0000, but you would have to record that fact.

Thats my understanding...

Frank
Old 11 April 2006, 11:59 AM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Izzy
In my mind, regardless of the legalities, the odometer records the mileage of "the car" - not a component of it, ie the engine. The essence of a car is its chassis & therefore mileage should be true to that. Any componenbt change (engine, gearbox, transmission etc) should be fully documented additionally).... That said, it's ok to recalibrate kms to miles as long as this to is documented....
That's exactly it IMHO. I've had plenty of engine rebuilds, transplants etc in the past, but the mileage records the car's history, not the engine's. Changing km to miles because that is the current unit of distance/speed etc in Britain is a legitimate reason. Changing the mileage because you think a new engine deserves it, is not.