Notices

Misfire MY93

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2000, 05:10 PM
matri
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I have a MY95 body shape and a MY93 engine. Over the last couple of months a miss fire has developed. I feels like the car has lost all it's guts. The whole of the fuel system has been checked out all the coils and plugs are new and the plugs have been gapped to .7mm i think? The ECU has been replaced with a RA version, thanks to BOB (BR Developments)but the problem has again come up. After replacement of the ECU the car was back to normal but the problem was intermitant. The waste gate has been checked and that seems fine. When the RA ecu was fitted the boost was back to normal (checked at the garage as i don't have boost guage) and it was normal. Now it seems to be dropping off again through 2500-and up revs. I was thinking of replacing the ecu with the correct type but at £1000 it's a hell of way to fault find a problem. I dropped mail to brdevelpments (Bob Rawle)to see if they can come up with something else. I am now extreamly desperate to get this fixed...its like cancer

Steve
Old 08 January 2001, 11:55 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Marti, take it back a step m8,what fuel r u using? Reason i ask is this used 2 happen with me when I run on U/L (pi55water). Changed the plugs & started running SU/L an it all but dissapeared. Runnin SU/L an millers oct booster don`t get misfires @ all.
Hope this helps
Old 09 January 2001, 11:09 AM
Gussie Cup
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Steve - I had a similar problem. I would get to 4000 revs with failrly hard acceleration and the car would hiccup/lurch and then carry on smoothly through the rev range although not with the usual power.

Despite my plugs being only approx. 1000 miles old, they were replaced with Platinum plugs (from Bosch to NGK or possibly the other way round, can't remember now!) and I haven't had the problem again.

Don't know if thats any help.
Old 09 January 2001, 02:31 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Steve,

sounds like a gradual decay in the ingition system, which was temporarily fixed by having a replacement ECU. My gut feeling would be that the coil packs are breaking down... and perhaps you have a little bit of overboost which is highlighting the poor spark that your packs are producing.

I'de get the packs checked and replaced if necessary...

Cheers.

Pat.
Old 09 January 2001, 03:22 PM
Gussie Cup
Scooby Regular

Pat

What is a coil pack?
Do these degrade with mileage?
Are there any maintenance steps that can be taken to avoid this?

Thanks
Ben
Old 09 January 2001, 09:32 PM
Hamish Lindsay
Scooby Newbie

Plugs,

Give me a call (01527 577710) had this before on loads of Scoobys The UK & JPN cars prefer different gaps.
If you you look at all the replys you've had the common denominator is plugs !

Regards,
Hamish Lindsay.
Old 15 January 2001, 11:09 AM
matri
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Cheers guys for the advise

teknopete...i have been using the good fuel for ages now but i havn't put octain booster in due to the cats...not quite sure if this would damage them...i still have the problem and all the coil packs have been changed, it is nmot over boosting as it was checked by a scooby dealer...thanks to them. I work offshore and have run out of time to try and fix this thorn. The car is up for sale if anyone is interested. Just one thought though could the knock sensor be shagged, this would also retard the engine. Also what about the injectors? if they are carboned up would this frigg around with the flow of fuel..very new to this sort of fault finding
Old 23 January 2001, 10:19 AM
matri
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Gussie Cup:
<B>Steve - I had a similar problem. I would get to 4000 revs with failrly hard acceleration and the car would hiccup/lurch and then carry on smoothly through the rev range although not with the usual power.

Despite my plugs being only approx. 1000 miles old, they were replaced with Platinum plugs (from Bosch to NGK or possibly the other way round, can't remember now!) and I haven't had the problem again.

Don't know if thats any help.[/quote]

what did you gap the plugs to, mine are at .7 at the moment.

I gapped them to .7 but i feel the injectors may need an ultrasonic bash, will be trying octain booster soon. cheers matri

[This message has been edited by matri (edited 29 January 2001).]