Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

K&N Induction kit on MY93

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2000, 02:57 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive been told by a reliable source that the K&N Induction Kit does in fact fit the early models even though its designed for the 97 cars. Has anyone got one fitted succesfully, or know anything about this?

Cheers

Richie
MY93 WRX
Old 10 May 2000, 07:28 PM
seddo
Scooby Newbie

richie

you can get a k&n kit for 93 to 96 cars because i have just got one from ABP Motorsport in crewe tel No 01270 567177
it is for a WRX but will fit a uk spec no problem with a slight mod to take the pipe from the carcoal filter , recommend not routing the pipe used to get cold air up to the filter has in the paper work because if you go thro' deep water it will work it's way up the pipe and may find it's way in to engine and we all know want happens then !!.
the noise leave something to desire it sound like it's trying suck the inner wings in and sound like a dump valve when lifting off the gas .

hope this helps
cheers neil
Old 11 May 2000, 12:49 AM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

It depends what you class as excessive. If youre in doubt (like I was!) go have a listen to the setup your'e after. I did and the Pipercross and Bailey EVO dump valve makes a fantastic sound. In my opinion not excessive at all, very competition like

Im getting the K&N, living with it for a while and then opting for a piston type BOV in the future.

Richie
Old 11 May 2000, 11:05 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

I'm thinking og getting the same kit fited to my 93 WRX. But was going to open the vent in the bonnett to feed cold air, will this work ?? You say its loud I was going to get a loud dump valve as well do you think it will be excessive ???
Old 11 May 2000, 01:09 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Smile

Richie,

I too have a MY93 WRX and are thinking of buying the K+N induction kit. Let us now what it's like when you get it fitted, i.e easy to fit? noise, any noticable power increase, throttle response etc.

Cheers,

Tone.
Old 11 May 2000, 01:14 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Im told that the only prob with fitting the post 97 kit to a 93 car is the holes on the backing plate wont match so you need to drill new ones....big deal?

This hasn't been confirmed yet, but Ill let you know how I get on. Looking forward to some new noises

Richie
Old 11 May 2000, 11:00 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

I needed to modify the bolt holes on the K&N kit to make it fit my MY97 car. According to ABP it's quite normal to have to make some adjustment as not all Scoobs have the holes in the same place on the AFM.

Barge ...

By all mans take the bonnet vent cover(s) off. It makes the filter sound a little louder, and actually vents off a lot of warm air from the underbonnet area. When you're moving, air enters through the radiator grille, and then blows out through the bonnet vents. I.e. the filter doesn't really suck in cold air through it, but the decrease in warm air under the bonnet has got to be a good thing. No?

However ... put the covers back on as soon as it rains! On the left the water will go straight into the exposed filter and over the AFM and most probably knacker them. On the right the water will run straight over the battery.

I run with mine on as I can't be bothered to get out the spanner every time it looks like rain.

Richie ...

If you want to measure the distance between the bolts holes on the AFM I can see how far out the fit is?

Wonder if K&N owe me some commission after the demo now that you've decided to buy one?

Andrew
Old 12 May 2000, 10:35 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Barje, Have you seen my bonnet scoops??
Old 12 May 2000, 12:56 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Wink

I told you Id get one Andrew!

Was well impressed, and K&N does look the dogs bits. As I said, Ill live with it for a bit and maybe go for a BOV....?

Cheers for the demo, and speak to K&N, sounds fair to me

Bye for now

Richie