Notices

Which mods for MY01 WRX - £1500 ish budget

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2006, 12:44 PM
discodancer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which mods for MY01 WRX - £1500 ish budget

I have read loads of threads regarding mods including a lot about PPP. I wondered whether the PPP can be added to my MY01 at a subaru dealer? If so is it the same price as to a newer WRX? Also should I be considering a different system from Scooby sport/Scooby clinic?

I basically would like a new zorst, maybe a remap and perhaps other changes within my budget.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12 March 2006, 06:38 PM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

Alright Mate,

You could get PPP but as your out of warranty i don't think it would be the best use of your money... if it were me i would go somewhere around this route....

Panel Filter - £40
Exhaust (Including de-cat downpipe and centre) - £450(ish)
De-cat Up-Pipe - £100
Silicon Turbo and Intercooler Hose - £150ish
Fuel Pump - £100
Injectors (optional) - £150
Re-Map - £550

Total - £1540

Should see you around the 300 / 280 mark which is a darn sight more than the PPP route, only thing is you will be Cat'less which means MOT's are an issue.....

I've got a MY01 WRX and i've done the panel filter and bought the de-cat up-pipe, will be going for the de-cat down-pipe and ported headers soon....

After that it will be a new fuel pump and a re-map.....

HTH

Chris
Old 12 March 2006, 07:43 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

have you done any other mods... before I went for more power I would

lowering springs
rear 22mm droplinks + anti roll bar
new geo

This will transform the way the car handles... far more bang for your buck than power mods

forget the ppp, only any use if you want to keep your warranty you will get a much better package going ecu tek, decat , pannel filter

you also need a boost gauge and a knocklink BEFORE you starting playing with the boost settings
Old 12 March 2006, 10:20 PM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

I have found that it is quite difficult to get the right balance bith that sort of budget. You could go the exhaust/panel filter route, but to make them worth while you need a remap, so already you've pretty much sorted your £1500, and suspension is on the limit. If you go the suspension route then you end up with a car that outhandles the power.......so you have to choose!

Adam
Old 12 March 2006, 10:35 PM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

Eibach Pro Kit with Geometry - £350ish
Backbox with de-cat centre - £400ish
Uprated fuel pump - £150ish
Remap (1.15bar max - safe with up-pipe cat) - £600ish

Bang on your £1500 budget including fitting costs. Should have over 250bhp and better handling.

Also I would seriously think about getting some uprated quality pads (DS2500 or Pagid 4.2.1's)
Old 13 March 2006, 09:10 AM
funkyspider
Scooby Regular

Silicon Turbo and Intercooler Hose
fuel pump

Are these worth changing as I've got decat exhaust system and K&N panel and am changing up/down pipe in the very near future. I dont plan on doing injectors. If so can anyone recommend what hoses/fuel pump for an MY01 bugeye and where to buy.

Cheers
Martin
Old 13 March 2006, 05:32 PM
discodancer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris_c201
Alright Mate,

You could get PPP but as your out of warranty i don't think it would be the best use of your money... if it were me i would go somewhere around this route....

Panel Filter - £40
Exhaust (Including de-cat downpipe and centre) - £450(ish)
De-cat Up-Pipe - £100
Silicon Turbo and Intercooler Hose - £150ish
Fuel Pump - £100
Injectors (optional) - £150
Re-Map - £550

Total - £1540

Should see you around the 300 / 280 mark which is a darn sight more than the PPP route, only thing is you will be Cat'less which means MOT's are an issue.....

I've got a MY01 WRX and i've done the panel filter and bought the de-cat up-pipe, will be going for the de-cat down-pipe and ported headers soon....

After that it will be a new fuel pump and a re-map.....

HTH

Chris
Does the remap fix the emissions issue?
Old 13 March 2006, 05:47 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

no it would switch off the light on the dash telling your your cats are bust

but a sports cat would add another £200

Last edited by WRX_Rich; 13 March 2006 at 05:49 PM.
Old 13 March 2006, 06:46 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

1 Sort Brakes
2 Sort Suspension and geometry
3 Spend some money on driver training with someone like Don Palmer.

If there's any left then increase the power. All of the above will make you quicker than just adding power.
Old 14 March 2006, 11:22 AM
discodancer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_Rich
no it would switch off the light on the dash telling your your cats are bust

but a sports cat would add another £200
So are you saying that decatting the whole system would fail the MOT, unless I go for a sports CAT. Does the PPP decat the system?
Old 14 March 2006, 12:39 PM
discodancer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
1 Sort Brakes
2 Sort Suspension and geometry
3 Spend some money on driver training with someone like Don Palmer.

If there's any left then increase the power. All of the above will make you quicker than just adding power.
As I don't race around streets, and only require more power to give a few modern cars a run for their money up to 80 MPH in a straight line, I think the need for speed is fairly justified.

I don't really want to mess with the suspension as it will make the ride too firm for my needs, the lessons would be great if I needed them!

Is the Scoobysport zorst a suitable replacement? This also seems to be un road worthy if you have the full system.

In summary... is there a system that is road leagal that is equivalent to PPP? If not is there a work around so I can pass the MOT?

Last edited by discodancer; 14 March 2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 14 March 2006, 05:44 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by discodancer
So are you saying that decatting the whole system would fail the MOT, unless I go for a sports CAT. Does the PPP decat the system?
not sure with the wrx but the STI PPP includes a sports cat downpipe

if you fully decat you will fail a mot and these days you have to worry about road side emmision tests

trust me I am (soon to be more, check out my project thread ) running 320 bhp and the grin factor of the suspension mods has not been matched

if you want a nice 270 bhp + that the plod won't give you hastle

hayward and scott \tsl sports cat downpipe - £500
hayward and scott \tsl\scooby sport de cat centre section and backbox-£300
uppipe - £150
fuel pump - £150
green pannel filter - £50
Bob Rawles \ Andy F \ zen remap - £650
Br developments link -knocklink \ bosch sensor - £100
boostgauge - £100 ( you might want the nice defis £400)
( prices are from memmory)

After hanging around scoobs and owning a bugeye wrx for the last 3 years + and doing most mods avaliable up to 400bhp and spending far to many hours on here I can honestly say the above will see you right

IMHO you can add more names to the suppliers lists but regards mappers be very carefull as this will make or brake your car, I would not stray to far from the above names - I have never seen one bad word wrote about the above , the same can not be said for others

For god sake don't skimp on the boost gauge \ knocklink - fit it before you add the parts so you know you have a good foundation and you can monitor the impoovments

one thing I didn't mention was a psi3 monitor - I have had my fair share of cel lights, with a psi3 you can view the code and resest the ECU, a life saver when your 400 miles from home and the cel light comes on - it will also double up as a boost gauge

BUT my best peice of advice is pick a mapper and give him a ring - if they are anything like Bob Rawles ( and from what is wrote about the above mappers I can only imagen they are) they will point you in the right direction from start to finish and then some

Rich
Old 14 March 2006, 06:08 PM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

if you fully decat you will fail a mot and these days you have to worry about road side emmision tests

trust me I am (soon to be more, check out my project thread ) running 320 bhp and the grin factor of the suspension mods has not been matched

uppipe - £150
fuel pump - £150

After hanging around scoobs and owning a bugeye wrx for the last 3 years + and doing most mods avaliable up to 400bhp and spending far to many hours on here I can honestly say the above will see you right

IMHO you can add more names to the suppliers lists but regards mappers be very carefull as this will make or brake your car, I would not stray to far from the above names - I have never seen one bad word wrote about the above , the same can not be said for others

For god sake don't skimp on the boost gauge \ knocklink - fit it before you add the parts so you know you have a good foundation and you can monitor the impoovments

one thing I didn't mention was a psi3 monitor - I have had my fair share of cel lights, with a psi3 you can view the code and resest the ECU, a life saver when your 400 miles from home and the cel light comes on - it will also double up as a boost gauge

BUT my best peice of advice is pick a mapper and give him a ring - if they are anything like Bob Rawles ( and from what is wrote about the above mappers I can only imagen they are) they will point you in the right direction from start to finish and then some

Rich
Agree with your comments, but would also add Richard Bulmer (TSL) to your list of Mappers.
Old 14 March 2006, 06:49 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

I would but I couldn't have said never read a complaint
Old 14 March 2006, 06:57 PM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

I would but I couldn't have said never read a complaint
You've read complaints about Richard Bulmer as a Mapper?
Old 14 March 2006, 07:09 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

yup... probably rubbish with no merit behind it but I have read complaints

I ve never delt with him before but was totaly put of by the sales techniques used by TSL

now he is on his own it may be different
Old 14 March 2006, 07:13 PM
Daniel-S
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Palmo
You've read complaints about Richard Bulmer as a Mapper?
Old 14 March 2006, 08:10 PM
Palmo
Scooby Regular

yup... probably rubbish with no merit behind it but I have read complaints

I've never delt with him before but was totaly put of by the sales techniques used by TSL
Must say I found him first class - he did an excellent job on my MY02 WRX.

now he is on his own it may be different
Isn't he still at TSL then? I was there mid last year and he was there - think he used to be freelance, then worked from / for TSL (still freelance) but thought they had officially taken him on their books last year?
Old 14 March 2006, 09:15 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Richard is an excellent mapper.
Old 14 March 2006, 09:18 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

agreed, 100%
Old 14 March 2006, 09:29 PM
discodancer
Scooby Regular

uppipe - £150
fuel pump - £150

Rich
Thanks for the advice. IN what order do you recommed and from where? I live in Lincoln so need to get a load of stuff done at Easter all at once.

Cheers for all the advice
Old 14 March 2006, 10:08 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

sorry

hope people don't think im knocking anyone, I didn't mean to say who was good or bad,,, just trying to stress that mapping is very important and they are not all the same ( I have had 2 mappers work on mine )

- I will not use TSL as they went out of their way to knock other suppliers \ mappers to the extent they said my car was never going to be right if person x had done it and they would have to start again ( very well respected person x)

also told me that I had to go motec as the owners of ecu tek were being taken to court by subaru and I would get no support after this - 6 months later they took Richard on and started doing ecu tek

I see many people are happy with them

Last edited by WRX_Rich; 14 March 2006 at 10:11 PM.
Old 14 March 2006, 10:14 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

they went out of their way to knock other suppliers \ mappers
Its not the first time that that's been said.....
Old 14 March 2006, 10:25 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

yup

if it wasn't for good help from scoobynet members they would had far to much money from my wallet

but hey good mappers choose one and ask him what they reccommend

Order

make sure the remap is last

some people will say you shouldn't decat with out a remap but wait for one of the techies to answer that question

boost gauge and knocklink first - then you know the cars boost etc is fine to start

but i will say it again Suspension mods make the subaru a subaru - performance mods only seem to last 2 hours and you want more
Old 14 March 2006, 10:30 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

simple decat, fuel pump and a remap works very well on a WRX. some versions respond better than others on a decat without remap. Spend the other money on good brake pads, maybe some braided lines and you will improve the feel of the braking noticeably.

Boost gauge and knocklink are nice touches. Knocklink is a useful piece of kit, if a little unsightly in standard form.
Old 14 March 2006, 10:44 PM
~~ Cal ~~
Scooby Regular

edit - forgot to say my car is a 2002 WRX

hey Rich,

I have now fitted that TSL Thundercat downpipe now and boy does she fly . I had a full H&S decat before and I can feel no percievable difference between them. Spool up is more rapid and it pulls harder between 5k & 6k for some reason. It has yielded some more soundtrack too via turbo and exhaust noise with the odd pop and bang too

Now i just need to fit a STi8 turbo and the up-pipe which is sitting in my friends garage before darkening Dr. Forrests batcave for another remap.

For the benefit of others, here's my mods :-

K&N panel Filter
Lamco boost gauge
Ecutek remap
TSL thundercat sports cat
TSL straight-through Centre Section
H&S Scoobysport backbox
Godspeed brake discs, Ferodo pads & Goodrich Hoses
Sti7 intercooler scoop

Well happy but the suspension needs attention now

Cheers
Cal

p.s Pre & Post maps BEFORE the Thunder cat was fitted

Blue lines are from when I was last RR'd with those mods but no Ecutek remap....

Acceleration and mid range punch are way improved now and the car would likely keep up with a standard Sti without too much grief. 2nd and 3rd gear are so

Last edited by ~~ Cal ~~; 14 March 2006 at 10:47 PM. Reason: more clarity