Notices

anti-corrosion service

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2001, 12:33 PM
tim saleh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

would anyone tell me the importance of this anti-corrosion service? what are the consequences if i were to give it a skip, other than risking my warranty?

thanks a lot.
Old 15 October 2001, 01:30 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hijack the thread but its related. Mine had missed the first one when I bought it - is it still worth paying 100 quid or so for the others even though my warranty is invalid anyway?

cheers
Neil
Old 15 October 2001, 04:36 PM
tim saleh
Scooby Regular

Question

are you asking me or are you telling me, neil?
Old 16 October 2001, 09:44 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Tim - are you worried that you may later want to claim on the anti-corrosion warranty? If so, get it done. (as you live in London maybe the streets aren't salted too much in winter)
Are you worried that the car might be harder to sell if the work hasn't been done? If so, get it done.
Is £100 really that much to spend preserving a car you've just spent the thick end of £22 grand on?

ScoobyJawa - peace of mind? In your case I guess it depends how long you're going to keep the car.
Old 16 October 2001, 10:47 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Sorry tim, was asking whoever was reading

Old 16 October 2001, 04:24 PM
tim saleh
Scooby Regular

but what would happen to the car if it is not being serviced for anti-corrosion? how bad are the consequences on the car?

cheers.
Old 16 October 2001, 04:52 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I spoke to the dealer(oop north , sheffield I think) who supplied and serviced my car up until I bought it from another dealer(down south). They confirmed the body service had not been done, but also said that on the other hand it would have little effect on the car as they were built well in that area anyway so it it was unlikely to cause a problem in the future....

(only quoting what the dealer told me)
Old 16 October 2001, 04:58 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I guess that depends where you drive it. If you drive it only on a track only on sunny days, nothing will happen. If you drive it down the beach at low tide every day, it will get corroded a lot quicker than if the corrosion service had been done as per schedule. And I guess any thing in between these two extremes will result in a varying degree of corrosion.
Like I said to ScoobyJawa, it probably only really matters if you're going to keep the car for a number of years, as I'm sure that the factory underseal and corrosion treatments will last a few years, even if not tarted up after 1,3 and 5 years.
If you were in the North, it would probably have a worse effect on the car, as the roads are gritted/salted more than in the South. Likewiuse, if you lived in a coastal area, it would again be worthwhile ensuring that the car was as corrosion-proof as possible.
In terms of what will actually happen to teh car, it will go rusty! Not a good thing if it's in a structural place and you have an accident. Obviously it should fail an MOT before this happens, but you never know.
Old 17 October 2001, 09:53 AM
tim saleh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

thanks for the info, guys. it relly helps. my conclusion is i will give it a pass( as i live in london and the car is in the garage for 5 days a week). instead, i'll use the money saved for donnington.

thanks again and see you at donny.