Notices

disaster!!! why oh why!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2006, 07:56 PM
crazybri
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disaster!!! why oh why!!

Had another go at changing my uppipe today after bad light stopped play last sunday.....

last week i got the whole pipe off but just couldnt get it out, (this was before i know about jacking the engine up a bit)

So today i tried changing it again, BUT i couldnt release 1 of the nuts at the top near the turbo, dispite covering it in WD40 and being able to get it off last week... eventually the nut has got knackerd and started to round!!

all the other bolts came off fine,

Any1 else had this problem before, if so, how did you sort it?

I really need to know what to do about this, cause it is detrimental to my modifying plans! lol

Cheers,

Bri
Old 21 January 2006, 10:06 PM
bobthebodger
Scooby Regular

I feel for you....hope you sort it soon.

Bob
Old 21 January 2006, 10:09 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

take the turbo off and get a dremel or angle grinder in there,i had the exact same problem as you
Old 22 January 2006, 10:39 AM
crazybri
Scooby Regular

is the turbo bolted on by another 2 bolts close to the intake side of the turbo?

The thought had crossed my mind, but i didnt feel brave enough to take it all off lol

I think i will leave it until i get a new turbo, then it all doesn't matter anyway. ive only got a TD04 on at the minute which isn't the best of turbo's.

Ta,

Bri
Old 22 January 2006, 11:34 AM
ticky
Scooby Senior

I would remove the turbo support bracket, this way you can pull the turbo & up-pipe off all in one go.
Then you will have a better view at the rounded nut.
And as scooby-tc has pointed out using a dremel, grind down one side of the rounded nut, then with a sharp chisel knock it off. You may need to replace the threaded stud too.
Old 22 January 2006, 12:00 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

If the nut has not rounded completely - get your dremel in there and cut a vertical slot (ie straight up if you were looking at it dead level) as far as you dare into the nut ( a couple of mm before you would reach the thread) - then cut another opposite that slot on the other side of the nut...then put your wrench or spanner on it and it'll come off like butter...your thread should stay good...reason for the correct angle is that even if you do cut into the thread vertically you should still be ok to put a new nut on - if you cut at an angle you'll shaft your thread..
Old 22 January 2006, 12:33 PM
crazybri
Scooby Regular

nice1,

i will have a go at that in a few weeks time, its sooo time consuming tho!! ive spent the last 2 weekends on the car and fancy a break. its a pain having to take everythin off like intercooler downpipe etc just to get to it! maybe i should stop being so tight and pay somebody to do it!

Ta,

Bri