Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

legacy turbo engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2002, 12:40 PM
dimmers
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

disaster has struck! i've only had my legacy for a couple of months and i have just been told by the garage that it needs a new engine, as there is an oil leak from the cylinder block...at first it looked like it was just leaking from the heads, which were warped, but now that is fixed, there is still a leak, so it looks like a new engine.

the subaru garage is trying to source a good second hand engine, and they have told me about a company that imports low mileage re-conditioned engines from japan-API, i think. does anyone have any ideas/useful information on the subject? if u do, i would love to hear it, as you can imagine how i'm feeling right now...

how about using an impreza engine - does that pose any problems?

i look forward to hearing some (good) news...
Old 11 March 2002, 08:00 PM
dimmers
Scooby Newbie

Angry

come on, someone must have recently written off their low mileage legacy turbo and want to donate their engine to a good cause...?

ps. the impreza idea was a crap one - for a start they cost a lot more, and they also require a lot more work and money to get them in successfully (new engine management etc etc...).
Old 11 March 2002, 08:10 PM
sanders
Scooby Regular

Hi dimmers,

Sorry to hear about the engine problem, I have a legacy turbo as well and I looked into fitting an imported wrx impreza engine and I contacted a company called "midland-imprezas" they quoted me a price of £1000 for a low mileage wrx engine that would fit straight in, I cant remember their web address but they are in exchange and mart.
I also used to own a legacy 1.8 that I bought from the auction that turned out to need a new engine my local garage got me a low mileage one from API that cost me £1800 and needed work for it to fit my car which put me of using them again.
Hope some of this helps you.

Good luck,

Sanders
Old 12 March 2002, 12:54 PM
dimmers
Scooby Newbie

thanks sanders,
i'll check out the impreza option, but the subaru garage didn't seem very enthusiastic about it, as the job is more complicated and involved...

the API option does seem expensive, but there are very few low mileage legacy turbo engines in britain!

does anyone else know more about fitting a wrx engine? that sounds quite fun...
Old 12 March 2002, 01:12 PM
Dave R
Scooby Regular

The lump is a straight swop.

Dr. Bob in Ilkley had one done locally up there.

Better engine too.
No tappety type background noise, and under piston oil spray if early WRX.

Daver
Old 13 March 2002, 01:18 AM
dimmers
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

i've been on to a man that knows in hebden bridge, and he says the same (i don't think the subaru garage really know what they're talking about!). any 93-96 impreza turbo engine fits straight in, and is generally a much better option...

what sort of power would i get from an early wrx engine, and what other changes would i have to make (engine management etc.)to get it sorted? does anyone know...?

also, where can i get a good wrx engine...does anyone know of one looking for a home?
Old 15 March 2002, 01:13 PM
Crusty
Scooby Regular

This is a very common upgrade down here.. just use the 93-96 engine with all existing engine wiring looms... big improvment, power will be 240 to 260HP+ with a link ECU.
Old 15 March 2002, 01:36 PM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Try Grade-A they are a Scooby breakers in Derbyshire on 01663 744114.

Daz.
Old 15 March 2002, 01:54 PM
dimmers
Scooby Newbie

Wink

thanks chaps! keep it coming...

Crusty, does this sort of power hike expose any weaknesses in the legacy? can the handling cope quite happily?
Old 15 March 2002, 05:58 PM
legacyPete
Scooby Regular

I would imagine the handling will be fine, but the brakes would be a different story... they're bad enough with 200bhp!
Old 15 March 2002, 07:44 PM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

I have a mate who has a good legacy turbo engine sitting in his garage . Not sure how he came by it , he is a scooby mechanic and has a collection of various scooby bits lying around . Mind you , by the time you ship it from here in N. Ireland it might be cheaper to buy one in England . Let me know if you're interested and I'll mail you his number .

Derek
Old 15 March 2002, 08:06 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear about your engine troubles.

Try www.pro-parts.com and look in the links, 2 jap auction houses with loads legacy turbo's for repair or break.They also look to have a couple of impreza's engines

Otherwise try motoring news, I saw a 2000 uk turbo engine complete with all bits for £1400 inc clutch,loom & manifold, Max motorsport Tadcaster 01937 833111
Best of luck

Mark A
Old 17 March 2002, 01:18 PM
dimmers
Scooby Newbie

Wink

derek - the car is going to be checked out on wednesday (by someone who can hopefully be more successful than the subaru garage!), so I will know for sure what needs doing after that. If it is a new engine, I think your mate's would have to be v.cheap to make it worth while...but thanks anyway and i'll keep you posted.

thanks for all the other numbers and advice, I will let you know of the outcome as it unfolds over the next week or so...

In the meantime, if anyone's got any tips/advice/relevant info on stuff to do while the engine is out and probably being replaced, I would love to hear it...!