Retard needs advice replacing coolant - Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2006, 05:14 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Retard needs advice replacing coolant - Quick Question

Hello

The main hose from the rad to the engine split last week on my MY98 UK, got the new one yesterday and then the two retaining clips sheared off whilst trying to remove the damaged hose , so replaced those today, I was told by my local dealer that I would need 3 litres of coolant, bought, now the question.....

Where do I put the coolant and water, in the coolant bottle on the right hand side of the engine bay or in the steel and aluminium resevoir on the left of the engine.

Thanks in advance, I cant take another day in the wifes 1.2 Automatic Punto
Old 11 January 2006, 05:21 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Aluminium reservoir on top of the engine.

FILL IT VERY SLOWLY - I cant stress that enough

You may find you won't need as much coolant as they specify (as the block and heater may have not drained down completely) so pre-mix the water an coolant 50:50 per half litre, otherwise you may end upi with an engine full of antifreeze and it's too full to dilute it. (Filling half a litre at a time also give it chance to drain down why you mix some more)

Give the rads hoses a squeeze every now and again to purge the air. When full, run the engine to operating temperature (till top rad hose gets hot) with the cap OFF, heater on full heat and fan on low. The level will drop, so just top it up bit by bit and keep it about half to three quarter full. This will help purge any air and prevent airlock (which does happen with these). You can hold the engine at a fast idle (2000rpm ish) for 30second at a time - just be warned it may overflow if you do so.

Don't worry if it boils over a little, just put the cap back on and turn it off. I know it's a bit of along winded affiar and costs half a gallon in petrol, but it's the best way of doing in my experience.

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 January 2006 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11 January 2006, 05:21 PM
smiff99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pour it slowly into the metal resevoir.
I usualy do it with the engine running and the interior fan on hot/full speed.
Make sre you give the hoses top and bottom of the rad an occasional good squeeze taking care not to touch the rad fan if it starts up !
Never had any air locks yet.
Old 11 January 2006, 05:24 PM
smiff99
Scooby Regular

Ah, I see that Ali-B beat me to it and with very comprehensive instructions.

Good luck

Jon
Old 11 January 2006, 05:29 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Thank you Thank you Thank you

Old 11 January 2006, 07:09 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Question

Hello again

Went like clock work, although i managed to spill some of the coolant, washed the resevoir with the spare water I had, only half a litre or so (this is relevant later on in the post)
I took it for a run and the temperature didn't deviate, which was nice, BUT when I got back home there was still steam coming from the left side of the radiator area, not billowing but a fair bit, I have had a good nose around but cannot find where it is actually coming from, could this be residue from my spillage?? I doubt it, or could there be another problem which just happened to occur at the same time, I'll leave it overnight and have a look at it in the day light but in the meantime any ideas before I have it hauled off to the dealership.

Cheers
Old 11 January 2006, 07:20 PM
lightwave693
Scooby Regular

if your still on the original radiator, id have a look at the end tanks, they have a tendancy to split. mines a 98uk turbowagon and the split i had seemed to be along a line in the moulding of the end tank. could just be spilt water but worth a look.

Trending Topics

Old 11 January 2006, 07:26 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

yeah same happened with me, end tanks split during a mapping session. Funnily enough, my top hose went the other day.
Ive got a replacement now, but halfords do a coolant pipe tape so Im gonna get some of that just to carry around with me if one ever splits again.
Old 11 January 2006, 07:28 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by lightwave693
if your still on the original radiator, id have a look at the end tanks, they have a tendancy to split. mines a 98uk turbowagon and the split i had seemed to be along a line in the moulding of the end tank. could just be spilt water but worth a look.
Yep still the original radiator, 145000 miles worth to be fair , so i would imagine you have a point, i'll see what she's like in the morn

Cheersttjhhnhnjnhnhjjmh