Notices

New Scooby owner - Technical advice sought?

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2005, 11:42 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Scooby owner - Technical advice sought?

Hi

After much umming and arring - i finally purchased a 1999 classic Scoob.
However i have a few technical queries that i need answering so any help greatly appreciated.

1. My brakes seem pretty crap, i mean you really have to stamp on them and even then the stopping power is pretty shocking. What brake disc upgrade and pads would you recommend? without breaking the bank so no AP conversions just yet?

2. Sometimes in second gear i will accelarate and it seems pretty poor - yet i can do it again and it can again seem much stronger all through the rev-range, could this be the Lambda sensor or could it be down to the fact that i have a cone filter under the bonnet??

3. related to above really, i bought the car with a daft cone filter on it, it is quite noisy, i'm sure it does not do the car any good and it certainly does not make it any faster than standard (as proved against a buddies standard classic wagon) should i ditch this asap???? and if so where can i get an airbox from that hold the panel filters????

4. and Optimax issue, my nearest garage is quite a drive away, is it ok to stick the odd tank of BP Ultimate in it or should i run on Optimax 100% of time???

Thanks chaps
Old 21 November 2005, 05:27 AM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Chief welcome to scooby ownership.

The brakes on the MY99/00 are failry ok as they are the previous generation Sti four pots, i have a pagid disc and pads upgrade on mine which definatley helped over the standard set up. Also find out when the brake fluid was last changed as this can degrade over time leading to a loss in braking performance, and as usual if the pedal feels at all spongey check to make sure the whole braking system has been bled of air properly.
I think you already know the answer to your next questions, it has been pretty much proven then the standard airbox only becomes restirctive when you are searching for 350bhp and above, mine is currently at 322 with the standard airbox and sti filter!
If you dont like the noise it makes, you should be able to get a standard air box from one of the many subaru breakers for resonable money, do a bit of serching on here and see what you can dig up.
Also do a bit of searching on MY99/00 Maf sensors and im sure u will find a wealth of information and disinformation about what to do.

In my opinion (this in on way refelcts the opinions of the management ) your probably better off reverting to the standard airbox with a panel filter then getting the Maf and lambda checked out, mine both failed on my 99 after about 40K miles replacements should cost you about 75 and 90 quid resectivley. Then find yourself a nice exhaust and a remap and start grinning!

Hope u get it sorted soon

Dan.
Old 21 November 2005, 08:21 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Cheers fella
Old 21 November 2005, 12:50 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

anyone else? what about the BP issue?

Cheers
Old 21 November 2005, 02:14 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technically the Uk turbo version of the impreza can run on normal 95ron unleaded(assuming yours is a uk version and not and import), however you will find most owners who frequent this or similar BBS's will use some sort of SUL for whatever reasons. I found with mine that using shell optimax gave noticeable performance gains and it generally seemed to like it, i have also run my car on Sainsburys SUL, Esso SUL, and Tescos 99ron. I have only ever once used BP ultimate because round my way its significantly more expensive than optimax and i live about 1 mile from the nearest shell station.

BTW what sort of induction kit is it you have on? because some are far worse than others.

Dan.
Old 21 November 2005, 02:54 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Danny Boy
Technically the Uk turbo version of the impreza can run on normal 95ron unleaded(assuming yours is a uk version and not and import), however you will find most owners who frequent this or similar BBS's will use some sort of SUL for whatever reasons. I found with mine that using shell optimax gave noticeable performance gains and it generally seemed to like it, i have also run my car on Sainsburys SUL, Esso SUL, and Tescos 99ron. I have only ever once used BP ultimate because round my way its significantly more expensive than optimax and i live about 1 mile from the nearest shell station.

BTW what sort of induction kit is it you have on? because some are far worse than others.

Dan.
I'll have a look tonight, its a noisey bugger i know that!!!
Old 21 November 2005, 03:14 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...ghlight=airbox

Airbox here for sale..........
Old 21 November 2005, 03:26 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
Cheers buddy!
Old 21 November 2005, 05:18 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The 2nd gear acceleration problem could be the very well known ECU phenomenon that occurs if you hold mid-high revs in 2nd gear for any length of time and then restricts you to half boost when you do floor it.

Nothing you can do about it, except change gear and don't hold high revs for too long without using the turbo in 2nd gear. Or you could upgrade the ECU or a use seperate boost controller.
Old 21 November 2005, 09:17 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
The 2nd gear acceleration problem could be the very well known ECU phenomenon that occurs if you hold mid-high revs in 2nd gear for any length of time and then restricts you to half boost when you do floor it.

Nothing you can do about it, except change gear and don't hold high revs for too long without using the turbo in 2nd gear. Or you could upgrade the ECU or a use seperate boost controller.
Thats exactly it, it only seems to hapen when i hold at say half throttle then floor it - as soon as i hit third it is fine or change from third to second again it is ok.

Cheers
Old 22 November 2005, 08:24 AM
Gillp95
Scooby Regular

Chief, I think your filter is a K&N one,
Old 22 November 2005, 10:43 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Inbox cleared
Old 22 November 2005, 12:22 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by The Chief
Hi

After much umming and arring - i finally purchased a 1999 classic Scoob.
However i have a few technical queries that i need answering so any help greatly appreciated.

1. My brakes seem pretty crap, i mean you really have to stamp on them and even then the stopping power is pretty shocking. What brake disc upgrade and pads would you recommend? without breaking the bank so no AP conversions just yet?

2. Sometimes in second gear i will accelarate and it seems pretty poor - yet i can do it again and it can again seem much stronger all through the rev-range, could this be the Lambda sensor or could it be down to the fact that i have a cone filter under the bonnet??

3. related to above really, i bought the car with a daft cone filter on it, it is quite noisy, i'm sure it does not do the car any good and it certainly does not make it any faster than standard (as proved against a buddies standard classic wagon) should i ditch this asap???? and if so where can i get an airbox from that hold the panel filters????

4. and Optimax issue, my nearest garage is quite a drive away, is it ok to stick the odd tank of BP Ultimate in it or should i run on Optimax 100% of time???

Thanks chaps
1) They should be fine for the road, but won't like track work that much. I have a MY99 with the std four pots and apgid black pads and when you brake like you mean it, they offer very strong retardation. If they are not performing, there is a problem: bad/worn pads, dodgy fluid etc....

2) Boost cut cause by drive by noise regs. Avoid driving at a constant throttle in 2nd gear. Lift off before you floor it to get around it, or just change up.

3) Loose the cone, the std set up is fine, the MY99/00 has a notoriously weak maf and aftermarket induction kits can damage it. Dodgy maf not attended to = blown engine!

4) Optimax seems universally liked- it's what I use, but if its a real trek, how about Esso SUL? It seems highly regarded. If you're in the South and have a tescos nearby see if they have the 99 RON petrol. I've heard mixed reports about BP ultimate, personally I'd avoid it.

NS04
Old 24 November 2005, 12:53 PM
XR-Wayne
Scooby Regular

it was Tested on 5th gear the other night with a Impreza Normal Unleaded, BT Ultimate, and Optimax

Every time they refilled they reset the ECU and Optimax gave the Best figures

At the Moment sainburys Super is 87.9 near me but i wernt 100% sure if i should use it.i spose it wouldnt do any harm.
Iv always used Optimax as theres a stations about 1 mile away from me